The Game of Thrones

OILERMAN

17 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Bingo

So with only two seasons to work with, they started asking themselves what was left to do. What could they build with the pieces left in the box? What beats did they just have to include? /17

What big moments did they want to deliver? Where should the characters end up? What did they think we, the audience, wanted to see on screen before the show came to an end? It was a Game of Thrones bucket list. /18

Yeah, but that was all by choice. They chose to go at this speed. They didn’t have to, so now this box is of their making and they have to own it. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well for anyone who cares to read this, here are my (lengthy) thoughts now that I’ve had a chance to sleep on it.   I’ll start by saying I'm not sure I've ever been more hyped for an episode

I loved the fact that Theon won his fight cause he has no dick. Haha

Posted Images

Interesting Twitter commentary but it misses the point. There is nothing wrong with plotting a story. That's not what dumb and dumber do. They plot shocking scenes and then use sloppy writing to fill in the blanks. 

3 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Yeah, but that was all by choice. They chose to go at this speed. They didn’t have to, so now this box is of their making and they have to own it. 

The network, the fans and even the author thought it should go longer. And even in sticking to eight seasons, they cut down episodes.

5 minutes ago, cenj said:

I've noticed a few posters remarking that episode 4 was the only (or mainly) awful episode this season. I'm just in a different camp as I enjoyed it far more than previous episodes, mainly due to enjoyable character interactions during celebration, Tyrion and Varys being involved and making sense, and the other family/throne politics. The dumb writing bothered me less because I think I've accepted the larger plot points being forced and nonsensical (dragons are easy to kill now, all military advisors are morons, people have little risk of death by being idiots).

If you think ep.4 was terrible, but thought the season leading up to it was solid, then we have wildly different tastes in writing. 

The only part that really annoyed me was not seeing Arya or Sansa's reaction to Jon's big reveal. Felt a little cheated out of that moment... but maybe they'll come back to it somehow and skipped it on purpose.... I doubt it though. 

And please stop with the BS about the series being impossible to end well. People are acting like big shows always become terrible -- they don't. That's part of what seperates good writers from hacks -- some people start off throwing crazy ideas to get fans speculating, but it's clear they don't have any plan (looking at you Lost). The emperor has no clothes. Others are meticulous with their storytelling.

Breaking Bad got better after season 1, and ended STRONG. Sopranos too. The Americans. The Wire. 

Finally got to watch ep 4. Really nice episode. Great to see tyrion and varys back to their old ways. 

Still think it ends with Jon shoving a sword through danys heart and then he dies cuz his purpose is fulfilled. 

3 hours ago, cenj said:

Breaking Bad got better after season 1, and ended STRONG. Sopranos too. The Americans. The Wire. 

Lots of people were pissed at the Sopranos ending

8 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

I still lol that people think they chose in a vacuum to shorten everything. You guys don't think there were any other pressures? The writers up and just decided fuck it let's only do half a season for no reason? 

From what I've read, they chose to shorten despite pressure to do the opposite.

10 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

I still lol that people think they chose in a vacuum to shorten everything. You guys don't think there were any other pressures? The writers up and just decided fuck it let's only do half a season for no reason? 

Yes. Basically everyone else has voiced their frustration with the decision and the show runners have voiced exactly that it was their decision alone and purely because they had plotted it out and only had 13 episodes of material.

You have to think every single person is lying to believe otherwise.

2 hours ago, cenj said:

That's true, but only the last scene (I thought it was awesome). The final season itself was great. 

I personally liked everything about it, although the series did weaken later on. 

My guess as to the final two eps is that the Golden Company takes over.  There are many videos going around showing the actors being disappointed in how the show ends, so I'm assuming it is the end of the story they don't like rather than the continual descent into mediocrity for the characters.  

Also, a few years back for Father's Day, they had Stannis burn his daughter.  Today is Mother's Day.  With Cersei just incubating right now, that leaves Dany to do stupid shit to get Drogon (her "baby") killed.  And don't have any doubt that it will be something stupid to get the dragon killed - just like the last two.