The Game of Thrones

OILERMAN

12 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

What do you think of the idea that Jon is Azor Ahai and Arya is lightbringer? I know Jon's "lesson" is a very small moment at the beginning of her journey, but everyone in this show has small moments that build on top of each other. She was quick enough to get close to the NK for the kill and she stuck him with the pointy end.

I don’t see how Arya fits the prophecy when it comes to Lightbringer.

But again, I think this will be handled differently in the books. I think they just effectively ignored the Azor Ahai prophecy in the show.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well for anyone who cares to read this, here are my (lengthy) thoughts now that I’ve had a chance to sleep on it.   I’ll start by saying I'm not sure I've ever been more hyped for an episode

I loved the fact that Theon won his fight cause he has no dick. Haha

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, titanruss said:

Big red guy, brianne, greyworm, varies, Sam, Sams wife and baby, Arya, bran...

Most all these and more should have died. 

Most with little celebration. They just die in the swarm and violently so. 

Only one of arya/bran should have died there. I don’t mind Arya killing the night king. But Jon should have been there. And Arya should have died doing it. .. I’m betting they didn’t have Arya die that way because they already had that little girl sacrifice herself killing the giant. 

There was some poor writing in there, but I've accepted it's not going to be as good as it was. 

Overall the episode was good and I enjoyed it, but I was disappointed not more main characters died.  Especially those on the front lines.  Well, I don't think disappointed is the right word.  I don't think "no one is safe" applies anymore.  

I'm guessing they need loved characters to die over the next three episodes.  

I have no clue how the next three episodes plays out.  

Edited by Rogue

I agree with SK in that it was never truly a show where "no one was safe". Not after storylines emerged. And that's fine. I just wish they'd acknowledge this and write around it and not blatantly ignore it by putting the safe characters in unnecessarily precarious situations. I don't think it adds suspense, it comes off as lame when they miraculously make it through, again. At this point we all know the event queues and music that signifies when a character of significance dies - there are only heroes left now and they all die heroically if they must die at all.

Edited by OzTitan

And I get as part of a hero's story and lore you want them to defy the odds from time to time. I just think they over do it and have lost control of it. It's a bit like Dexter and how the writers sort of lost track of how ridiculous it was this innocent normal guy (in the eyes of his friends and coworkers) just kept having this insane amount of coincidental stuff happen to him - it got silly by the end.

2 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

What do you think of the idea that Jon is Azor Ahai and Arya is lightbringer? I know Jon's "lesson" is a very small moment at the beginning of her journey, but everyone in this show has small moments that build on top of each other. She was quick enough to get close to the NK for the kill and she stuck him with the pointy end.

The prophecies are meaningless in the show.

In Game of Thrones’ seventh season, Melisandre visits Daenerys, to tell her about how she believes Dany and Jon are key to this prophecy.

“The Long Night is coming,” Melisandre tells her. “Only the prince [prince or princess, according to Missandei’s translation] who was promised can bring the dawn. … I believe you have a role to play, as does another — the King in the North, Jon Snow.”

However, it’s not actually Dany or Jon who ended up killing the Night King. That honor went to Arya Stark, not long after Arya had her own strange encounter with Melisandre.

All of this — Beric’s sacrifice, Arya killing the Night King, Melisandre’s pep talk and eventual death — seemingly signals that Arya could be the reborn savior that the prophecy was centered on. But it’s not that simple.

“Prophecies are dangerous things,” Melisandre told Daenerys in their season seven encounter, warning that prophecies are never crystal clear and often not what they seem. And unfortunately, as she appeared to die for good at the end of “The Long Night,” she will no longer be around to further advise on what the future might hold.

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/29/18522003/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-3-melisandre-arya-night-king-azor-ahai

Third lowest rated episode ever. Lowest since season 5.

Extended torture of Theon and Sansa's wedding night are the only things viewers found worse than this. Actually troublesome events that were hard to watch ... as opposed to a troubled script and production that made a triumph hard to watch.

It is kind of amazing to me that the bellyachers haven't accepted a simple fact: the guys in charge of the show are adaptation guys, not writer guys. They were never writers. That isn't what they signed up for, and that, presumably, is not one of their top skills. They were brought in to HBO to adapt an incredible series of books into a TV show, and they knocked it out of the park.

And then the fat man stopped writing. Well of course the fucking show is going to suffer because of lack of source material. HBO didn't hire fucking writers - they hired adaptation guys. Two totally and completely different things.

So these guys take this beloved, awesome, absolutely mammoth and complex world from books and turn it into a great show. Now you not only ask them to do something they aren't accustomed to doing and were never meant to do, but you add to that the extreme expectations not only from the books but from the high bar they set from themselves in the earlier ADAPTATION.

Honestly we all owe them a debt of gratitude for slogging it out and finishing it, knowing that it is impossible to satisfy folks. Add to that we are in season 8, the actors are burned out, HBO bean counters are shortening things wanting them to hurry the fuck up, etc. etc. Yeah I assume the guys are getting paid very handsomely, but as artists and professionals they are totally taking one for the team just to finish what the fat man started.

So I guess that's why I see things from a different perspective, because the above is the perspective I start from. I don't start from the perspective of the bar set by the books, because that would be stupid, or even from the bar set by the first seasons before they passed the books, because that is totally unfair. GRRM totally flaked out and gave up, and left these guys holding the bag to do something that is not within their skill set to do.

So if you start from that perspective, you can just enjoy the ride, shake your head and smile when it is ridiculous, but otherwise just be grateful.

12 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

Imo the fait of the dothraki showed what me and Oman were saying - this was humanity's last stand. God knows how many were in the zombie army. They swallowed the dothraki whole and then the dothraki came back and attacked winter fell. I saw plenty of them mixed in later in the battle. If the night king had survived winterfell that was it. He would have killed everyone. 

I get that the writing is hackneyed and they're just slogging to the end but there is no scenario where you guys would have been satisfied with the night king winning that battle and then being defeated later. It woukd have made no sense at all. 

So just assume a fact based on a hypothetical.  Gotcha.  Welp, discussion is over guys!   Legal is Dr. Strange and has seen over a billion possibilities of GoT writing and how we will all react.  We better just "enjoy the ride."

56 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

It is kind of amazing to me that the bellyachers haven't accepted a simple fact: the guys in charge of the show are adaptation guys, not writer guys. They were never writers. That isn't what they signed up for, and that, presumably, is not one of their top skills. They were brought in to HBO to adapt an incredible series of books into a TV show, and they knocked it out of the park.

And then the fat man stopped writing. Well of course the fucking show is going to suffer because of lack of source material. HBO didn't hire fucking writers - they hired adaptation guys. Two totally and completely different things.

So these guys take this beloved, awesome, absolutely mammoth and complex world from books and turn it into a great show. Now you not only ask them to do something they aren't accustomed to doing and were never meant to do, but you add to that the extreme expectations not only from the books but from the high bar they set from themselves in the earlier ADAPTATION.

Honestly we all owe them a debt of gratitude for slogging it out and finishing it, knowing that it is impossible to satisfy folks. Add to that we are in season 8, the actors are burned out, HBO bean counters are shortening things wanting them to hurry the fuck up, etc. etc. Yeah I assume the guys are getting paid very handsomely, but as artists and professionals they are totally taking one for the team just to finish what the fat man started.

So I guess that's why I see things from a different perspective, because the above is the perspective I start from. I don't start from the perspective of the bar set by the books, because that would be stupid, or even from the bar set by the first seasons before they passed the books, because that is totally unfair. GRRM totally flaked out and gave up, and left these guys holding the bag to do something that is not within their skill set to do.

So if you start from that perspective, you can just enjoy the ride, shake your head and smile when it is ridiculous, but otherwise just be grateful.

Why are you so grateful to "adaptation guys" (NOT WRITERS, GODDMAN IT!!  THEY AREN'T EVEN IN THE SAME UNIVERSE TOGETHER) but derogatory towards the writer?  I suppose you are trying to score points vs the "book nerds" by tearing down the "book guy" and heaping praise on the "TV guys" to earn points for your team??