The Game of Thrones

OILERMAN

12 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I don't think it's sudden at all. They all know there's a good chance they won't make it through the night. Your priorities really start to come into focus when you're staring death in the face. 

These are their final moments. It isn't the least bit implausible for a teenage girl to decide she wants to be intimate with someone on what could be the last night of her life. Arya/Gendry was set up years ago when they first met. You could tell they got along then, but both were too young for a romantic relationship. Now they meet again, both older and more mature, and it also happens to be in an apocalyptic, end-of-world scenario. They set it up even more last week when they recognize each other and follow it up with this knowing look that we know the meaning of all too well.

Tyrion decides to drink the the night away around a fire with his brother. Davos finds his way there, as do Tormund, Brienne, and Pod. Jon is brooding in the crypts. Sansa/Theon are sharing a meal. They're all staring death in the face and have their own response to it, which is part of what made the episode work so well.

I don't think the Sansa/Theon stuff is romantic. They're really the only 2 people left alive who know what Ramsay was like. I heard someone on a podcast describe it as "they survived the same monster." Their moments felt 100% authentic and earned, imo. As did the Jaime/Brienne scenes, as well as Arya/Gendry.

For me, this episode did such a good job at what recent seasons have struggled to do. It really felt like an old school Thrones episode that was true to the characters.

So then we go back to the issue... she’s just not attractive and that’s the main reason the people who aren’t digging it - aren’t diggin it ... but you can’t say that .. so you make up other reasons. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well for anyone who cares to read this, here are my (lengthy) thoughts now that I’ve had a chance to sleep on it.   I’ll start by saying I'm not sure I've ever been more hyped for an episode

I loved the fact that Theon won his fight cause he has no dick. Haha

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, titanruss said:

So then we go back to the issue... she’s just not attractive and that’s the main reason the people who aren’t digging it - aren’t diggin it ... but you can’t say that .. so you make up other reasons. 

Maybe I missed something on the previous pages. I don't get how this relates at all to what I posted.

25 minutes ago, titanruss said:

That has nothing to do with it. It's 100% grounded in the fact many see her as a child despite her age. 

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

That has nothing to do with it. It's 100% grounded in the fact many see her as a child despite her age. 

Nah.. you’re wrong.

It definitely has something to do with it ... you know how I know??

simply because it grossed me out (because she’s unattractive and asexual up to that point) and I’ve been on this earth long enough to know that I’m not the only person that thinks the way I do. 

If she was a hottie with a body the entire argument wouldn’t even be the same. 

10 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Yeah, that's what it was. I didn't know she was in her 20s and still saw her as a kid. Even the character seemed maybe 17 or something. Not really upset it just seemed poorly done and rushed. Then again how I felt about the whole episode. Felt like they watched Return of the King and played Dragon Age Inquisition and decided to copy the most cliche moments out of it.

15 minutes ago, titanruss said:

Nah.. you’re wrong.

It definitely has something to do with it ... you know how I know??

simply because it grossed me out (because she’s unattractive and asexual up to that point) and I’ve been on this earth long enough to know that I’m not the only person that thinks the way I do. 

If she was a hottie with a body the entire argument wouldn’t even be the same. 

sounds like a personal problem. I'd get that looked at if I were you because you are flat out wrong. It's kind of embarrassing to be honest.

29 minutes ago, oldschool said:

That was it for me and my wife.  I've always seen her as a young, little, cold blooded assassin girl.  For some reason, the cold blooded assassin part never overrode the young little girl part.  

I didn't have a problem with the scene or the concept, but it was weird for that reason and wasn't expecting it.  I suspect the writers knew there would be a little shock to it. 

Edited by Rogue

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

I don't think the Sansa/Theon stuff is romantic. They're really the only 2 people left alive who know what Ramsay was like. I heard someone on a podcast describe it as "they survived the same monster."

I guess Theon "survived"!

3 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

The consternation over the Arya scene is nothing more than a vestige of puritanism. It's that simple. 

The prevailing image of Arya is that she's still a child.  Her travels and experiences should have demonstrated that she's matured to the point of being a (mostly) grown woman, but the writing and execution didn't bring that to the fore.  It's just one more example of how far things have slipped in that area since the story passed up the books.

But as long as that perception persists, people will object to it, and it's not puritanism.  The vast majority of people don't want children having sex, especially with adults.

Pedophilia will never be normalized.

Last question on the silly topic...hypothetically, how old is her character in the series at this point? I would assume she is 17-18?

...Really, how old are many of the characters at this point? The show aged up a few characters like Dany among others.

Edited by TitansFan777

I think the more important point about the Arya scene is that she hasn’t totally lost touch with her humanity. People saw her as a cold, bloodthirsty assassin. Even last season during her time with Sansa she didn’t exactly show much warmth.

But she had her emotional reunion with Jon in ep1. And now a romantic reunion with Gendry in ep2.

11 minutes ago, TitansFan777 said:

Last question on the silly topic...hypothetically, how old is her character in the series at this point? I would assume she is 17-18?

I think I read Arya was 18 now

11 minutes ago, TitansFan777 said:

...Really, how old are many of the characters at this point? The show aged up a few characters like Dany among others.

They are older than they were written in the books... probably for the best.