The Game of Thrones

OILERMAN

19 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Not only that, they lack the ability without the transcript in hand AND they cut it short against the wish of the network and GRRM, which forces some, though not all, of the issue.

And, yes, it's an issue. One some, perhaps most, will be more fine with than others.

They are TV writers, not literary giants. You simply can’t expect them to churn out the same level of content as George in a hugely compressed timeframe knowing there are strict budgets for actors, sets, and special effects. 

Yes, there are holes in the show. That is wildly inevitable.

Still, I think they have done a tremendous job with what they had to do. The nitpicking doesn’t do anything but lessen a fan’s enjoyment of the show. So what if ravens can’t fly back to Dragonstone that fast? So what if Sam’s father didn’t catch up with him to take back the sword (did he even know he went to the Citadel)? These are fairly minor points, IMO

Its not like anyone is asking how these skeletal wights are running around with no muscles or tendons. Who the fuck cares???

Edited by Starkiller

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well for anyone who cares to read this, here are my (lengthy) thoughts now that I’ve had a chance to sleep on it.   I’ll start by saying I'm not sure I've ever been more hyped for an episode

I loved the fact that Theon won his fight cause he has no dick. Haha

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Starkiller said:

Who the fuck cares???

A whole lot of people.

The reality is that you don't. That's fine. It'll still be discussed, partly because that's what people do in the inevitable case that there is a range of responses to something and partly because the change is fundamental to the show's underlying premise.

Fortunately, the spectacle and backstory still carry it through and I doubt even the writer of the article would argue there's another show that compares. Unfortunately, the juxtaposition to previous content leaves some wondering what could have been. And they'll discuss it, thereby RUINING YOUR ENJOYMENT!

2 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

And for the record, "nitpicking" is a term used to refer to small, isolated things being presented as something more. It doesn't really work here.

The examples are many, varied and central to the most notable scenes and events.

Not isolated, as there are plenty, just insignificant relative to the scope of the story. 

Some people just can’t sit back and enjoy a good show for what it is. “The perfect is the enemy of the good.”

Deaths of major characters - even minor ones like Bronn or Beric - are not insignificant to the scope of the story. Everyone has had plot armor for awhile now, likely so that the deaths in the final season pile up. And plot armor is the main convention this show (book) was designed to break ... and one of the main reasons it got to where it is as a cultural phenomenon.

Insignificant, my ass.

1 hour ago, Jamalisms said:

There are no potential spoilers in there.

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

Idle speculation is not “potential spoilers”

Twas a joke, my lords. Although idle speculation is what can lead to being spoiled, which is why I try to avoid specific speculations. There may only be so much left to spoil, I don't want to accidentally stumble upon fucking myself over, which has happened a couple times before.

27 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Deaths of major characters - even minor ones like Bronn or Beric - are not insignificant to the scope of the story. Everyone has had plot armor for awhile now, likely so that the deaths in the final season pile up. And plot armor is the main convention this show (book) was designed to break ... and one of the main reasons it got to where it is as a cultural phenomenon.

Insignificant, my ass.

Bronn is an important go between between Tyrion and Jamie. Of course they didn’t kill him. It’s not like GRRM has killed him yet. Beric's arc in the show is different than the books because of no Stoneheart. And they wanted him to have a chat about being resurrected with Jon. Probably he will die this season. I’m sure lots of characters will die this season.

But they killed Thoros. They killed Barristan. They killed Rickon. All of these guys are still alive in the books (so far). 

2 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

I disagree. Stopped reading halfway through.

First, using the Heartsbane incident to set the stage for this narrative is pretty silly IMO. Sam stealing Heartsbane was itself a consequence for Randyll Tarly, long overdue. Each episode would be 8 hours long if they had to show a consequence for every single move and countermove. This is extremely nitpicky IMO.

I stopped reading when it got to Jon Snow, and how there was no consequence for leaving the Night's Watch. That was one of my favorite parts of the last season, which no doubt fell off from the greatness of before. Jon Snow pledged himself to the Night's Watch until death. Well, he fucking died. Like he was good and dead, killed by his own fellow members of the Night's Watch. That's as good a reason is any. Are you gonna tell a guy who just died and was resurrected that he still is under that oath? But at any rate, whatever quibble there is with that, that goes to Martin, not the show. I feel pretty certain Snow is going to be revived in the books also, and I also feel pretty certain he is going to leave the Night's Watch, just like in the show.

I assume you stopped too soon to get the point of them referencing Jon's resurrection.  Their point wasn't him simply leaving the NW.  The lack of consequences was throughout the realm of people accepting the famous Jon Snow being no longer a member of the NW.  Those at the Wall witnessed his death and then him being alive.  So that passes inspection.  The rest of the North, Eyrie, etc. seem to have no problem with this situation.  Are they aware of him getting out due to resurrection?  THAT's the lack of consequences.

39 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Twas a joke, my lords. Although idle speculation is what can lead to being spoiled, which is why I try to avoid specific speculations. There may only be so much left to spoil, I don't want to accidentally stumble upon fucking myself over, which has happened a couple times before.

How would you stumble upon a spoiler through speculation?  I suppose you could read enough possible outcomes, but that isn't being "spoiled" per se.  If you don't want to talk about the show, why open this thread?  Also, after the first episode of this season, are us fans not allowed to talk about what might happen due to possible *gasp* consequences of actions?

Nobody who watches the shows gives a damn about the swords. Thats just for the book junkies. 

But yeah.. Sam should have to answer for stealing it. They could have just avoided it altogether and had somebody grab it at the war when they got burned up. 

The arya storyline is what bothered me. zero consequences there. 

The jet packing was bad

jon is a bit contrived and his dead uncle coming out of nowhere to save him needs more explaination or it just feels like they are contriving some shit. 

theres plenty to complain about ...

but all in all, they had to write a couple of seasons with nothing to go on and not fuck it up too bad for when GRRM comes in to help clean up the finish.  they did .. just OK. more generic pop writing but its sufficed and had entertainment value. 

we'll see how the final season plays out. 

Edited by titanruss

11 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Helluva family tree...

house_targaryen_complete_family_tree_by_

This is fun to see, especially after reading Fire and Blood.  But, come on, man - spoilers!  ;)  Now when they do a prequel, you know who each Targ is going to marry and how many kids they have and which become kings/queens!