Biden Shuts Down the Border!!

Number9

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-signs-executive-order-shutting-southern-border-rcna155426

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/06/04/biden-border-close-executive-action-migrants-00161483

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/06/us/politics/biden-asylum-seekers-enforcement.html   

I have been talking about the Democrats stand on unchecked immigration not being strong enough.  This clears up the issue and shines a spotlight on why Biden had not done anything.   The gen pop was note going around giving Biden the credit he deserved for addressing the border through the legislative process.  

The R are running around telling the public the D want as many people coming across as they can get.  Ridiculous, yes.  In MAGA consciousness?  

Now, the Truth--Trump ordered the R to keep it open. 

That is Trump's whole deal.  "I'm closing the border."  That's his hate line.  It's okay to hate them because "they are terrorists, criminals, sex traffickers and they have fentanyl.  HATE.  It's okay to hate those type people.  As a matter of fact let me talk about some more people it's okay to hate.  He's very powerful.  People who say the love Jesus, believe his word are taken from the peaceful love mind of Christ to join the hateful energy Trump creates by saying he will deport millions of terrorists, criminals, sex traffickers, fentanyl traffickers.  

Now, his main story is gone.  That is his platform.  

He can no longer run on any of the big promises he made in 2016.  He didn't do any them.  

Retool the factories.  Nope.  

Invest 550 Billion into the infrastructure.

Caddilac Health Insurance and scrap ACA.  

Lifetime ban WH officials being foreign lobbyist.

Lifetime ban on foreign lobbyist raising money in elections.

He's not shutting down the border. He's ordering them to close entries after 2500 encounters for that crossing. He's only restricting asylum for people who cross the border illegally. No one should be allowed to seek asylum entering illegally anyway. This is clearly politically motivated because he was facing pressure on the border and not part of a plan to deal with the border. They already had many of these measures in place when he first took office, and some of the first steps he took as president was to remove them. 

That's not to defend Trump. The border was a disaster under him, too. 

After 3 years of massive increase of border crossing, the election is 6 months away and this has been one of the largest issues, EO finally happens.  The timing make sense.

similar to opening up the oil reserves to lower gas prices.  In CA, it’s dropped about 0.30 in a month. Only another 2.00 to go to get back where it was when he took over.

and as far as the wall, the biggest argument was “waste of money” and “too much money”, 15 border walls sent to Ukraine later, it just “won’t do anything”.  Could have easily been purchased, possibly built by now (I’ll be real, probably not, that’s fast for govt work), and have a lot more control over the southern border.

What's truly hilarious is the attempt to gaslight people's common sense. "Walls don't work". Of course, they fucking do. That's why people put them up. It's borderline stupidity to think you're just as well off without a wall as you are with one. From our own DHS: 

"The Bottom Line: Walls Work. When it comes to stopping drugs and illegal aliens from crossing our borders, border walls have proven to be extremely effective. Border security relies on a combination of border infrastructure, technology, personnel and partnerships with law enforcement at the state, local, tribal, and federal level. For example, when we installed a border wall in the Yuma Sector, we have seen border apprehensions decrease by 90 percent. In San Diego, we saw on Sunday that dilapidated, decades-old barriers are not sufficient for today’s threat and need to be removed so new – up to 30 foot wall sections can be completed."

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

I've personally spoken with multiple border patrol agents (NG guys who go to school with me but are BP full time) this year who think we're fucking retarded for not building walls. 

Trump is a moron and probably a racist, but that doesn't mean he's wrong about building a wall - even if it was dumb as hell to pretend like Mexico would pay for it. 

30 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Walls do not work over a border as long as the one between Mexico and the United States. This  is common sense shit. Both sides bullshit yet again!

Stupid as hell to believe an open border is more secure than a modern wall. Walls have worked over long borders for centuries. Will it be perfect? Of course not, but it's a hell of a lot better than not having a wall at all. 

What's the real resistance to putting up a wall? Money? Dems are worried about spending money? GTFO. 

4 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Stupid as hell to believe an open border is more secure than a modern wall. Walls have worked over long borders for centuries. Will it be perfect? Of course not, but it's a hell of a lot better than not having a wall at all. 

What's the real resistance to putting up a wall? Money? Dems are worried about spending money? GTFO. 

Walls are easily avoided. We need fencing, resources, technology, and partners to guard the border. 

Just now, oldschool said:

Walls are easily avoided. We need fencing, resources, technology, and partners to guard the border. 

I don't disagree that we need those other things as well. We're talking about basic measures and a small amount of money considering. I understand that it is impractical to make a wall in some areas, that doesn't mean we don't do the best we can and improve the areas that are inadequate. 

The politics of this are frustrating. Both parties SAY they want to fix the border. Neither of them ever actually do it, though, and Biden has made it incredibly easy to cross illegally and then claim asylum. Why even have a border at all?

16 minutes ago, Justafan said:

I don't disagree that we need those other things as well. We're talking about basic measures and a small amount of money considering. I understand that it is impractical to make a wall in some areas, that doesn't mean we don't do the best we can and improve the areas that are inadequate. 

The politics of this are frustrating. Both parties SAY they want to fix the border. Neither of them ever actually do it, though, and Biden has made it incredibly easy to cross illegally and then claim asylum. Why even have a border at all?

Biden can't fix the border no more than Trump or Obama could. Congress has been derelict in its duty to address illegal immigration for 30+ years. Hell even when there was a bipartisan deal on the table that gave conservatives nearly everything they wanted they killed it in name of Trump. Biden issuing an EO now is political bit so what? He gave congress a chance to do their jobs and they failed as usual.

3 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

It's not that Trump was right/wrong about building a wall. This whole notion came from Roger Stone because Trump had no understanding of illegal immigration. He was as ignorant about it as almost every other policy he spoke about. He talked about building a wall at a rally and having Mexico pay for it and a bunch of retarded rubes cheered it and since then Trump embraced it. That's the true mockery of "Build a wall and have Mexico pay for it". 

Of course solving the problem is complex and multi-layered. 

George W. Bush built fences(some say fences are better than walls) and even before him there were fences/walls built in some areas with good and poor results. 

Most of the illegal immigrants are here from expired Visas, then there are the caravans of people traveling through Mexico from Central America because of gang violence and flooding preventing farming. I posted a few times about a Ted Talk in which one of the most successful plans under Obama was to teach these people how to farm in these flooding areas. The Trump administration ended that. 

Maybe Biden and Dems have failed at border security and deserve blame for the problem. Whether or not that's true has no impact on a real solution because the other choice, Trump is in no way a true answer to fixing that problem. He killed the recent bill and is a clueless imbecile incapable of caring or knowing how to fix the issues.  

I don't think Trump got it right, and clearly, he's a moron on all policy. Also, his desire (at least from his personal stance) is clearly rooted in xenophobia and hate. I'm not on board with that. 

I'm also completely open to trying alternative methods to reduce the flow of illegals while making it easier to immigrate legally.

What I'm not on board with is sticking our heads in the sand and either hoping the problem goes away or passing stupid policies out of misplaced compassion that completely compromises our borders and our ability to screen and filter who comes into the country. 

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Biden can't fix the border no more than Trump or Obama could. Congress has been derelict in its duty to address illegal immigration for 30+ years. Hell even when there was a bipartisan deal on the table that gave conservatives nearly everything they wanted they killed it in name of Trump. Biden issuing an EO now is political bit so what? He gave congress a chance to do their jobs and they failed as usual.

I agree with basically all of this. Blame to go around. I gave the Biden administration credit for the executive order, even if it's clearly politically motivated and not the direction he wanted to drive policy.