Rudolph signed as Backup QB

15 minutes ago, titanruss said:

At this point, Rudolph for sure knows more about running an NFL offense as well as probably has the ability to read defenses a little better.

That just comes with experience. 

Doesn't mean he's the better player or smarter or has a stronger or more accurate arm. 

He certainly knows more about holding a clipboard and being bludgeoned with your own helmet. 

Levis threw more passes last year than Rudolph has in his last 3. Rudolph doesn’t really have much more game experience, he has simply been though more practices. 

Edited by Starkiller

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bongo, what is your problem?  Seriously?

Way better than Willis 

7 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

He certainly knows more about holding a clipboard and being bludgeoned with your own helmet. 

Levis threw more passes last year than Rudolph has in his last 3. Rudolph doesn’t really have much more game experience, he has simply been though more practices. 

right.. but it's still the difference between seeing action in 21 games / starting 13 vs 9 total. 200 more passes thrown. And yes, more practice experience, more involvement in a pro QB room, more understanding of pro games from playing and watching - more games.

That's not a knock on Levis nor an argument that Mason should start.

Its simply the recognition of a good backup QB signing with upside, that's plenty young, has decent experience, and looked to be improved this past season. 

He's Levis insurance in case Levis falls apart in some shape of form... for this season. If he does play and shows out, he'll be retained or traded. No need to pit them against each other. 

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

I'm pretty sure being smacked in the head with your own helmet is one of the more effective learning methods around. As long as they don't really connect. That could have been bad lol.

10 minutes ago, Callidus said:

I'm pretty sure being smacked in the head with your own helmet is one of the more effective learning methods around. As long as they don't really connect. That could have been bad lol.

Kind of like the NFL version of being whacked with a ruler by a nun at a catholic school…

2 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Kind of like the NFL version of being whacked with a ruler by a nun at a catholic school…

Lucky for the kids the nuns aren't absolutely jacked. People would be losing limbs.

4 hours ago, Titans279 said:

No but even if it’s close, at that point which of them is better is irrelevant because it means Levis sucks. 

If he is then the 2025 starter isn’t on the roster. 

I totally agree with this

It's good for Levis to have to compete against a legitimate NFL QB (not starting caliber). Sure there is no real competition organizationally but athletes are competitive and Rudolph is at least competent. No way Levis will allow himself to be outshined/outworked by Rudolph so if Rudolph is also competitive these two can push each other some. Malik Willis is a non-entity; he's the equivalent of the guy that is always hanging around you're girl but he's REALLY not into women. He's around but 0 threat. 

Rudolph seemingly is the perfect backup - he can fill in and play competently if need be - and is good enough to push Levis some.  That all said, it's really up to Levis in terms of whether Rudolph sees meaningful action. 

I do think people are glossing over how Levis played last season not to mention how all media accounts had him neck and neck with Willis through OTA's and TC.  Sure the highlight plays are flashed and the stat line looks OK in terms of TD to INT ratio but anyone with a brain knows that he struggled after the ATL game aside from a handful of drives.

He has to significantly improve his game (accuracy/decision making) AND availability or he opens up the door for them to look elsewhere long term.

I'm really curious to see how this plays out because it realistically could go either way.....he could make the leap to being a good QB or he could be 2021/2022 QB fodder come next year.

45 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

Rudolph seemingly is the perfect backup - he can fill in and play competently if need be - and is good enough to push Levis some.  That all said, it's really up to Levis in terms of whether Rudolph sees meaningful action. 

I do think people are glossing over how Levis played last season not to mention how all media accounts had him neck and neck with Willis through OTA's and TC.  Sure the highlight plays are flashed and the stat line looks OK in terms of TD to INT ratio but anyone with a brain knows that he struggled after the ATL game aside from a handful of drives.

He has to significantly improve his game (accuracy/decision making) AND availability or he opens up the door for them to look elsewhere long term.

I'm really curious to see how this plays out because it realistically could go either way.....he could make the leap to being a good QB or he could be 2021/2022 QB fodder come next year.

He's such a wild-card that give his talent level and intelligence he really could come out and just light everyone up with all these weapons. It's unlikely just because of how tough the NFL is but it's nice that's it's at least in his range of outcomes. 

Here's a thought to ponder: 

Trade Willis for any UDFA that is not picked up by a team at the end of the draft.  However, I'm not sure Willis could maintain that high of a slot.

pro

7 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

He's such a wild-card that give his talent level and intelligence he really could come out and just light everyone up with all these weapons. It's unlikely just because of how tough the NFL is but it's nice that's it's at least in his range of outcomes. 

I think the challenge he has is that the rope has never been shorter for young QB's.  The days of teams giving a young guy 3 or 4 or even 5 years (cough Mariota and Winston) are over.  He has to make the leap and be consistent with it.

The Callahan/Holz dynamic also is at play here - they are new to their roles and I'd expect some growing pains on their part too.  Encouraged that they will play starters in the preseason to get them in sync.  There's no doubt that Vrabel's approach was an issue.

Mostly agree with @BudsOilers here. Rudolph feels like the perfect backup at this stage. Young backup with experience and some latent potential.

Young drafted guys will get their 3rd year though unless its just obviously awful. It's a little unique in Levis' case though. He's older.. so the learning period is shorter. But the new coach dynamic as well as the just awful situation with Vrabel almost feels like the clock is reset to year 1 for Levis. But yeah, if he's not getting it and Rudolph is - it's not exactly like Cally is chained to Levis.

It's yet another reason a tradeback is smart for me. Add draft capital in case moves need to be made for a future QB.

Disagree that Levis was actually behind Willis though. In Vrabels mind? Sure. Media reports it based on what Vrabel allows to happen and what Vrabel says. But in reality for what we saw on the field? And all of a sudden we trust Vrabel and local media on what they are seeing at QB? By the same media's practice reports, they stopped counting TDs/ints for Tannehill as it got closer to the backups, Levis was beating Willis on those #'s, Levis had been injured, and he wasnt getting reps with even second string guys on the few reps he did get. Vrabel could have had Brady on the bench and likely still lets Willis get the 2nd string reps as Willis was "his guy" and had seniority.

All accounts through OTA's and TC were that Levis and Willis were close in performance.  No question Levis is the better guy with a much higher ceiling but it wasn't just Radio pimping his boy - it was guys with more credibility. 

I also wouldn't say Willis beat out Levis for #2 - IMO Vrabel had him there to use run packages with Willis but it never really came to fruition and once Tannehill got injured, they pivoted to Levis although dumb fuck Vrabel absolutely was going to rotate them in the ATL game until Willis fumbled the ball.

32 minutes ago, titanruss said:

It's yet another reason a tradeback is smart for me. Add draft capital in case moves need to be made for a future QB.

Depends on who is there and how we rate them versus how far we would have to trade back. If we do trade back it better be for a first next year. 

But yeah, I agree and have a similar sentiment based on who is there at 7. If you do trade back it's to stock a 1st so you have the flexibility to trade up for your QB if Levis falters or can't stay healthy. 

Option 1a) Nabors/Alt

Option 1b) McCarthy falls to 7 and you fleece Denver and draft Fuatanu.