2023-2024 Inaugural OILERMAN Invitational Death Pool

Bink

6 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Anyone who says LeBron is better than Jordan need only look at that Mavs team beating the Heat to know it's ridiculous. 

I watch a lot of NBA. I've followed LeBron's career from the onset. I fell in love with the game as a kid watching the 90s Bulls and I had a jersey Jordan tacked on my wall as a kid next to the Stone Cold poster. 

For me, social media has made basketball exhausting. The who is better conversation has existed, but it permeates everything now. The worst thing that people can probably say about LeBron is that he isn't Jordan, but that seems to be all anyone says. This rant is not directed at you personally, but something that drives me crazy. I think what Jordan did was incredibly unique and game at a time where he pushed the game into the global and cultural mainstream in a way that not even Jordan and Bird could. He understood sneakers, TV, and movies and how to be an icon. 

It would be very interesting to see how his laundry list of issues would have played out in today's media, and how much of his personal life would be out there (the gambling, his father's death). He certainly would have gotten nuclear heat for being bad at baseball. 

I personally don't believe Jordan or LeBron is "greater" than the other, but it is subjective. Here's the thing about LeBron---he had  these expectations put on his shoulders as a freshman in high school. He was in Sports Illustrated and his games were on TV---in high school. He delivered. 

Jordan did go 6-0 as champion. He did so with Phil Jackson and Scottie Pippen each time, in the same city, the same structure. 

LeBron went to three different franchises and delivered a title. Completely different coaches, different teammates, different markets different fanbases, pressures, etc. etc. He left Cleveland and came back and delivered on his promise. 

I don't think people appreciate how hard of an achievement is. There have been role players that have accomplished this but no major player in any sport has led 3 different franchises to titles--at least not that I am aware of. 

He's on the verge of playing with or against his son. That he had time and focus to get Bronny to that level is incredible, be he had to be involved. His biggest scandal was appearing on TV to announce his decision, something that was the subject of every sports broadcast before over a year (makes something like the Decision a kind of obvious move). 

And for all the flack he gets for losing to that Mavs team, he beat some all time great teams--including KD, Harden, and Westbrook together, including the Duncan led Spurs, including the Steph Curry Warriors that compiled the greatest record in NBA history. 

All of this makes him Jordan's equal in my book, and I personally find parts of his story more compelling. 

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and here we go: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YZDQ_CzZzdpLi7Fs_tx0FjI8YEjwZSRZ0Bk6QjLJf88/edit?usp=sharing   Good luck to all! Or bad luck to RassKass, Stan, tgo, and Tim Shaw

A lot of my friends know about the main death pool I am in and I have heard from more people with excited congratulations today on HK's death than I did on my birthday or any recent holiday. 

Could I BE anymore dead? or That one where a Friend dies. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Some of the teams LeBron took to the finals had no business being there

Honestly, was Michael Jordan’s supporting cast all that great beyond Pippen? It was always them, Grant/Rodman at PF, Paxton/Kerr to be a designated 3 point shooter, and some random C. 

Edited by Starkiller

4 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Honestly, was Michael Jordan’s supporting cast all that great beyond Pippen? It was always them, Grant/Rodman at PF, Paxton/Kerr to be a designated 3 point shooter, and some random C. 

Yes. Those players were all fantastic. What are you talking about?

1 hour ago, Bink said:

Yes. Those players were all fantastic. What are you talking about?

Horace Grant was a solid rebounder and defender and Rodman was an insane rebounder and defender. But otherwise is was basically just Jordan and Pippen carrying the team.

8 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Some of the teams LeBron took to the finals had no business being there

Yet he lost to a Mavs team with Dirk and the Jet versus Bosh, Wade, and LeBron. 

For all of Bink's little rant, he's not as good as Jordan.

23 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Yet he lost to a Mavs team with Dirk and the Jet versus Bosh, Wade, and LeBron. 

For all of Bink's little rant, he's not as good as Jordan.

Yeah okay. Completely missing the point. 

45 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Horace Grant was a solid rebounder and defender and Rodman was an insane rebounder and defender. But otherwise is was basically just Jordan and Pippen carrying the team.

In terms of scoring, Toni Kukoc was the 3rd best guy.  But yeah, it was basically Jordan + Pippen and a bunch of role players.  The C's were:   Bill Carthrwright, Luc Longley, Will Purdue, Bill Wenington and someone else.  The PG as noted were specialized shooters or another defender in Ron Harper.

It's nowhere close in terms of star power to the Lebron Heat teams or even the CLE team that finally won a Championship for the City and stopped that drought.

15 minutes ago, Bink said:

Yeah okay. Completely missing the point. 

I didn't miss your point. I'm sticking with mine that he isn't as good as Jordan plain and simple. 

All of the rest of the things you discussed about the story arc and how that would have played itself out in our time is noted. 

20 hours ago, CreepingDeath said:

Yeah, agree on all accounts.  Do you still follow the NBA?  I quit after Olajuwon left the Rockets.  Then I got back into when the Mavs title run a decade ago that season and until that team fell apart.  I just started watching the Mavs again during the playoffs this year.   

I follow the Spurs, in terms of roster moves and I read the results but I don't watch the games.  I checked out after Duncan retired and Kawhi Leonard pulled his injury bullshit a few years ago.  Also the Warriors running roughshod over the league wasn't fun for 99% of NBA fanbases.  I may start watching games again once they surround Wembayama with talent.

The Mavs team got screwed by Cuban after they won.  I think he cheaped out and failed to re-sign Tyson Chandler.  Oh well at least Dirk got one championship.   

18 minutes ago, rns90 said:

I follow the Spurs, in terms of roster moves and I read the results but I don't watch the games.  I checked out after Duncan retired and Kawhi Leonard pulled his injury bullshit a few years ago.  Also the Warriors running roughshod over the league wasn't fun for 99% of NBA fanbases.  I may start watching games again once they surround Wembayama with talent.

The Mavs team got screwed by Cuban after they won.  I think he cheaped out and failed to re-sign Tyson Chandler.  Oh well at least Dirk got one championship.   

Yeah, that Mavs team was good and is underrated. People forget this was the first team that the Miami team was playing together and they were still figuring out fit, and that fit matters more than anything else--we've seen this play out in the modern NBA.

What happened the first few seasons Jordan and Pippen were together? They got their asses kicked by the Pistons 3 seasons in a row. I don't hold that against him. 

My personal opinion is that the Mavs are on the level of some of the teams that Jordan beat, but not all. LeBron, on the other hand beat teams that Jordan's Bulls would not have consistently beat either. I think the Spurs and Warriors dynasties would have actually challenged Jordan. The consistently good teams were more present to face LeBron. 

The 3-1 comeback against the Warriors is more impressive than anything Jordan did in my opinion. 

I also don't mind that people think Jordan is better, but usually when people share that it opinion it seems as basic as Starbucks or Taylor Swift and it's just like (hyuck but he LOST to the MAVS!?!). 

I am more interested in nuanced and in depth NBA opinions and am a fan of the history of the game. Of course, generic armchair fan perspectives are going to exist. It's just discourse I need to learn to ignore. 

• 2 weeks later...