Report: Skoronski Will Start at Left Guard

tgo

On 5/8/2023 at 11:30 AM, freakingeek said:

The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the meat, provided that the maxis of the axis, and the gravity of the cavity, remain constant.

never hear that one, must be from before my time...

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can't wait to see Skoronski's perfect technique as NPF gets boat raced on the right and Brunskil and Brewer get flattened in the center. It's a real shame because if RT had time back there, he'd be ab

If the first rep he gets is at LG, that does not mean he won't end up at LT.  People need to let it play out.  One thing for sure is that he'll be starting somewhere day 1.

I mean if the choice is a raw tackle that you don't think can start right away or a versatile Olineman who can DEFINITELY play high level guard this year and PROBABLY can be a tackle next year.... I t

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Tex in a Can said:

Main thing for me is if Skoronski is the blue chip  offensive lineman we were hoping to get in the 1st round.

Him becoming a blue-ship, All pro level guard is a pure traits-based projection. We think he can do it but I'm not convinced he'll play at the level. Hopefully he does. 

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

Him becoming a blue-ship, All pro level guard is a pure traits-based projection. We think he can do it but I'm not convinced he'll play at the level. Hopefully he does. 

Well, I mean of course it's a projection, but it isn't a hard one to make. The guy is one of the most physically impressive OL to come out in a long time besides the short arms. He has elite strength, power, explosion, quickness, and technique. 

8 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

You know how much I loved the Skoronski pick but you do have a point. I’m curious if behind the scenes they see him as their LT of the future or RT if Dillard locks it down, or if they just want him to be a great LG. Because if it’s the latter, you could make a case that O’Cyrus Torrence is one of the best guard prospects to come out in awhile & he went late 2.  The value might’ve been a stud defender & OCT in 2.

But I also think we just needed to nail this pick badly & it wasn’t the year to take risks.

7 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Well, I mean of course it's a projection, but it isn't a hard one to make. The guy is one of the most physically impressive OL to come out in a long time besides the short arms. He has elite strength, power, explosion, quickness, and technique. 

All projections appear to make sense on the surface. It's only once we see the guy in action that we know. It's possible he's as good as everyone thinks he will be but I get the feeling that not many are seriously considering or preparing for the possibility that he might be average to above average at best which going by historical trends is the more likely outcome IMO.  Projections that include a position change are very tough to make. 

1 hour ago, Face said:

You know how much I loved the Skoronski pick but you do have a point. I’m curious if behind the scenes they see him as their LT of the future or RT if Dillard locks it down, or if they just want him to be a great LG. Because if it’s the latter, you could make a case that O’Cyrus Torrence is one of the best guard prospects to come out in awhile & he went late 2.  The value might’ve been a stud defender & OCT in 2.

But I also think we just needed to nail this pick badly & it wasn’t the year to take risks.

Admittedly I'm really just playing the numbers with this take. The odds that any guard drafted, even decorated ones that played guard all through college, becomes an all pro caliber player are very low. Therefore, it's logical to presume that taking a guy who didn't play there at all in college, might face similar if not worse odds. That said, this is a total generality that would apply to anyone. If we look at at Skoronski specifically he has really awesome traits and I totally get why people feel good about him making the transition. It's just hard for me to ignore all of the other factors and be convinced he'll be an all-pro guard. Feels kinda like cope to me. Obviously I hope he's the fucking man from day one. I've gotten over him not playing LT but him failing at guard would honestly wreck me. 

40 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Admittedly I'm really just playing the numbers with this take. The odds that any guard drafted, even decorated ones that played guard all through college, becomes an all pro caliber player are very low. Therefore, it's logical to presume that taking a guy who didn't play there at all in college, might face similar if not worse odds. That said, this is a total generality that would apply to anyone. If we look at at Skoronski specifically he has really awesome traits and I totally get why people feel good about him making the transition. It's just hard for me to ignore all of the other factors and be convinced he'll be an all-pro guard. Feels kinda like cope to me. Obviously I hope he's the fucking man from day one. I've gotten over him not playing LT but him failing at guard would honestly wreck me. 

The all pro part is key.  I'm not sure he hits that level.  Like you said it's a projection.  And he might just be good,  All pro to me is a different level.  And if he's just good, that's a bad pick on the positional value argument.

I get that they had to nail the pick and get a solid starter after whiffs in 20 and 21, but I get your skepticism of this pick at both G and LT.

Just now, rns90 said:

The all pro part is key.  I'm not sure he hits that level.  Like you said it's a projection.  And he might just be good,  All pro to me is a different level.  And if he's just good, that's a bad pick on the positional value argument.

I get that they had to nail the pick and get a solid starter after whiffs in 20 and 21, but I get your skepticism of this pick at both G and LT.

Exactly. And this is why it feels like pre-emptive cope to me. He pretty much NEEDS to be a very high level starter to justify drafting him where we did. If he turns out to be great, than that's awesome but if he's anything below that it's going to feel like we missed even if he becomes a pretty solid player. You don't take good guards that high. 

2 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

All projections appear to make sense on the surface. It's only once we see the guy in action that we know. It's possible he's as good as everyone thinks he will be but I get the feeling that not many are seriously considering or preparing for the possibility that he might be average to above average at best which going by historical trends is the more likely outcome IMO.  Projections that include a position change are very tough to make. 

If it wasn't for his technique being damn near flawless I would have similar concerns. I'm not projecting him as a day 1 All-Pro type player or anything. I am saying he's going to be a damn good OL in whichever position he ends up playing. 

1 minute ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

If it wasn't for his technique being damn near flawless I would have similar concerns. I'm not projecting him as a day 1 All-Pro type player or anything. I am saying he's going to be a damn good OL in whichever position he ends up playing. 

Friendly reminder that his perfect technique (I agree) was at left tackle. Guard, from what I understand, is very different. I get your point though, no one expects him to be an all pro guard day 1. That would be unreasonable. Overall I think he'll be fine. I'm just wary of painting him as a sure-fire future all pro.