UDFA

SuperFreak90

9 minutes ago, FireInTheHole said:

So, his opinion doesn’t hold much weight, just like ours? 

You made it seem like this was some directive straight from Vrabel. 

Lol....yeah, a sarcastic comment about someone else acknowledging the obvious ineptitude of our WRs while being above average blockers, equates to proposing it's a mandate straight from the HC.  

Personally, anyone that thinks we prioritize blocking in WRs higher than the vast majority of other teams, has more common sense than those arguing that we don't.  Maybe all our scouts are just idiots when it comes to evaluating WRs, but that appears to be the only other viable option to explain our situation.  

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hard to sign a guy who got drafted in round 3…

"Troy University DT Shakel Brown checked in at 6-foot-4 and 295 pounds at his pro day Tuesday, March 21. Brown also put up 30 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press, ran a 4.82-second 40-yard-dash and

None of them want to come here because they know we are stacked with the likes of NWI, McMath, and Kinsey…

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, IowaOiler said:

Lol....yeah, a sarcastic comment about someone else acknowledging the obvious ineptitude of our WRs while being above average blockers, equates to proposing it's a mandate straight from the HC.  

Personally, anyone that thinks we prioritize blocking in WRs higher than the vast majority of other teams, has more common sense than those arguing that we don't.  Maybe all our scouts are just idiots when it comes to evaluating WRs, but that appears to be the only other viable option to explain our situation.  

Nah, you just took it and responded in a way that we should lend him more credibility than we actually should. It’s obvious Vrabel likes for his receivers to block; I’m sure every HC does. Maybe not at the clip that Vrabel does, but Vrabel’s philosophy is to run. 

I know you’ve said it before (jokingly or not) they look more at blocking than receiving traits, and that is just silly. 

On 5/28/2023 at 6:24 PM, IowaOiler said:

I thought it was silly to think our coaching staff prioritizes blocking when evaluating WRs?  

Dude isn’t a part of the coaching staff. What’s being said is the equivalent of posters just posting their thoughts. 

Nothing to see here. 

On 5/29/2023 at 11:05 AM, FireInTheHole said:

I don’t know the dude has the inside track on the coaching staff. Looks like a lot of his stuff is just personal opinion pieces. 

Is there any validity to this dude I’m missing?

JRob mentoned when he came on board with Mularkey that it was the first time he eveluated blocking at all from the WR position and since then its been mentioned several times including with Vrabel that blocking is a priority from the position.

Now that Ran has been hired and Vrabel saying that we need to get faster everywhere I could see how blocking need is reduced... but it's up in the air whether or not it is still an evaluating factor for bringin guys in. I'd say it's highly likely -at least during this transition phase of the offense - that blocking is still an important consderation. You could say that without too much conjecture just based off the guys we have on the team, their history and style of play.

12 hours ago, FireInTheHole said:

Dude isn’t a part of the coaching staff. What’s being said is the equivalent of posters just posting their thoughts. 

Nothing to see here. 

You honestly seem like an optimistic brand new fan who hasnt paid much attention to this team in comparison to others.

Nothing wrong with that. .. I'm jealous of your naivety.. but there's plenty of precedent with this staff, players, and leftover team of evaluatiors to indicate its far more likely we give a big shit about blocking from the WR spot.

Edited by titanruss

7 hours ago, FireInTheHole said:

Nah, you just took it and responded in a way that we should lend him more credibility than we actually should. It’s obvious Vrabel likes for his receivers to block; I’m sure every HC does. Maybe not at the clip that Vrabel does, but Vrabel’s philosophy is to run. 

I know you’ve said it before (jokingly or not) they look more at blocking than receiving traits, and that is just silly. 

Lend credence not to people, but to points.  The guys point is that we value blocking at the WR position more than most.  This is something many of us have made a point about, as our WRs are typically awful, yet above average blockers.  So again, either our decision makers are looking at WRs like other teams' and they are just insanely awful at it, or we are not prioritizing things the same as other teams.  If you have a third option, I'm all ears.

4 hours ago, titanruss said:

You honestly seem like an optimistic brand new fan who hasnt paid much attention to this team in comparison to others.

Nothing wrong with that. .. I'm jealous of your naivety.. but there's plenty of precedent with this staff, players, and leftover team of evaluatiors to indicate its far more likely we give a big shit about blocking form the WR spot.

You’re completely off the mark on that assumption.. but seeing your posting history and your thoughts, I can understand how you’d be far off on that assessment. 

My whole point in the matter is his opinion was being painted as some sort of indication Vrabel/coaching staff don’t value receivers being receivers. It wasn’t a confirmation of anything. 

Of course we value run blocking in receivers. We might even value it more than other teams across the league. But we absolutely do not value it over things like route-running, catching ability, play strength, etc. No one would do that regardless of how old school or incompetent they are. The "but can he block" response many make when talking about a dynamic wide receiver is certainly hilarious but I don't think it's unironically a question that is asked in our scouting meetings. God help us if it is. 

Edited by Mythos27

Just now, Mythos27 said:

Of course we value run blocking in receivers. We might even value it more than other teams across the league. But we absolutely do not value it over things like route-running, catching ability, play strength, etc. No one would do that regardless of how old school or incompetent they are. 

It's amazing how narratives become accepted simply through sheer repetition.

Just now, No1TitansFan said:

It's amazing how narratives become accepted simply through sheer repetition.

Yup. It's why I push back every time I see it. You can't let it go unchallenged otherwise it just becomes the truth. I get why this one is appealing though. Outside of AJ (and IMO Davis) the wide receivers we have drafted are so bad at everything else that I can almost see how someone could sarcastically say "what are we drafting them based on their blocking ability or something" and then actually come to believe it after years of continued ineptitude. Trust me, I get the frustration that could lead one to almost believe that. You just have to remember that contrary to popular belief most of these receivers we brought it were either not known for being exceptional run blockers in college or actually turned out to be mediocre at best blockers in the NFL. If we are indeed acquiring these guys because of their perceived run-blocking prowess then we're failing in that regard as well because very few have been anything to write home about. 

4 hours ago, FireInTheHole said:

You’re completely off the mark on that assumption.. but seeing your posting history and your thoughts, I can understand how you’d be far off on that assessment. 

My whole point in the matter is his opinion was being painted as some sort of indication Vrabel/coaching staff don’t value receivers being receivers. It wasn’t a confirmation of anything. 

Kid, you're the most predictable and easy to fuck with thing on this board. Grow up and get your own opinions and own thoughts... and pick battles that matter - not this stupid shit that somehow you beleive makes sense to argue against.

No one is saying we dont want receivers that can catch... or only want ones that can block. Of course we want ones that can catch and play the position... but the position on the whole is valued less here and sometimes you fill the back end with players that can at least do one thing well.... as in they are very skilled at something - in this case blocking. They also usually have physical traits that coaches try and coach up for receiving but they fail because our offense doesnt exactly build confidence in WR and most of the WR are late/UDFA.

Good lord, be a little more sensitive kid.

Edited by titanruss

10 hours ago, IowaOiler said:

Lend credence not to people, but to points.  The guys point is that we value blocking at the WR position more than most.  This is something many of us have made a point about, as our WRs are typically awful, yet above average blockers.  So again, either our decision makers are looking at WRs like other teams' and they are just insanely awful at it, or we are not prioritizing things the same as other teams.  If you have a third option, I'm all ears.

But a stupid point.  Name me the WR’s on this list that were evaluated for their blocking ability ?  You are more than welcome to support your choices with an excerpt from the players scouting report to support the players blocking prowess.  Then point out the amazing blockers on the list.  Feelings aren’t thoughts.  If you don’t have concrete reasoning (supported by facts) for why you have a thought then it is just a feeling.  But I will wait for you to point out how we prioritize blocking in our WR’s.

AJ Brown

Corey Davis

Justin Hunter
Kendall Wright
Dorial Greene Beckham
Tajae Sharpe
Tawan Taylor
Dez Fitzpatrick 
Racey McMath
Kyle Phillips
Treylon Burkes
Josh Gordon
Chris Conley
Adam Humphries
Julio Jones
Robert Woods
Khalif Raymond
NWI
Cam Batson 
Marcus Johnson
Cody Hollister
Josh Reynolds
Mason Kinsey
Rishard Matthews
Harry Douglass
Eric Weems
Eric Decker 
Darius Jennings 
Andre Johnson
Rashard Davis

1 hour ago, Righteous said:

But a stupid point.  Name me the WR’s on this list that were evaluated for their blocking ability ?  You are more than welcome to support your choices with an excerpt from the players scouting report to support the players blocking prowess.  Then point out the amazing blockers on the list.  Feelings aren’t thoughts.  If you don’t have concrete reasoning (supported by facts) for why you have a thought then it is just a feeling.  But I will wait for you to point out how we prioritize blocking in our WR’s.

AJ Brown

Corey Davis

Justin Hunter
Kendall Wright
Dorial Greene Beckham
Tajae Sharpe
Tawan Taylor
Dez Fitzpatrick 
Racey McMath
Kyle Phillips
Treylon Burkes
Josh Gordon
Chris Conley
Adam Humphries
Julio Jones
Robert Woods
Khalif Raymond
NWI
Cam Batson 
Marcus Johnson
Cody Hollister
Josh Reynolds
Mason Kinsey
Rishard Matthews
Harry Douglass
Eric Weems
Eric Decker 
Darius Jennings 
Andre Johnson
Rashard Davis

Lol...thanks for making my argument for me.  The best WR on that list is easily AJ, and he was an above-average blocker and often was seen engaging downfield on Henry runs.  

Nobody here needs an excerpt from a scouting report on their blocking, but instead they've seen them play (apparently unlike you).  They were almost all willing and above-average blockers....except maybe Julio, and we know how much he played.  Nice try though, kid.

What an odd point to debate.   It's common knowledge that Vrabel and JRob have always emphasized the importance of blocking from the WR position.... as did Jeff Fisher.     

Go look at the numerous long runs by Derrick Henry and Chris Johnson.....in many cases,   a WR blocking  DBs and clearing things out 15-20 yards down the field was the difference between a nice chunk play and an 80-yard house call.