Stillman says Byard has requested his release from the Titans

BudsOilers

1 hour ago, titansfan said:

Sometimes I dont think you actually watch the Titans play... I think you just read some PFF articles.

Byard is pretty impactful for Tennessee and has very much kept together a young and inexperienced secondary. He covers a lot of mistakes and gets players in the right positions pre snaps... and still finds ways to make big plays.

Held together the last ranked pass defense in the league! Where he himself allowed a 65% catch rate and 600+ yards. The simple fact is he’s a safety, and he’s not an eraser at safety (very few are) which means they’re not worth $19M annually. The $7-10M  he has played on is fine- $19M when up against the cap and he’s 30 is a different story. He either needs to restructure /extend or be traded. I would prefer him stick around but at his current contract he was never seeing the 2024 season so it wouldn’t be the worst idea to trade a year ahead if you are able to retain anything of value 

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If "impending retirement" is a dumbass way to say he's getting older, I'm banning the next douche who posts one of that guy's tweets.

Titans fans in 2022: "This roster is old, over-paid, and way too injury prone. We have to tear it down completely"!   *Ran cuts most of the old, over-paid, or injury prone players*  

I'm mad as fuck. I want Carthon gone 

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, TWR said:

Held together the last ranked pass defense in the league! Where he himself allowed a 65% catch rate and 600+ yards. The simple fact is he’s a safety, and he’s not an eraser at safety (very few are) which means they’re not worth $19M annually. The $7-10M  he has played on is fine- $19M when up against the cap and he’s 30 is a different story. He either needs to restructure /extend or be traded. I would prefer him stick around but at his current contract he was never seeing the 2024 season so it wouldn’t be the worst idea to trade a year ahead if you are able to retain anything of value 

Once injuries happened across the board they had to start using him as a man defender, which is his weakness. That isn't his fault and is exactly the same thing that happened in 2020. 

16 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

He isn't getting an AAV of $19 million that is just the cap number because JRob used Byard's contract as a credit card to push money into the future, his AAV is only $14.1 million which is 9th in the NFL for a safety.

Exactly. It isn't his fault Robinson kept pushing the contract forward. Him being 30 is irrelevant as a safety. He's still easily top 5 and is a guy that produces turnovers. 

1 minute ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Exactly. It isn't his fault Robinson kept pushing the contract forward. Him being 30 is irrelevant as a safety. He's still easily top 5 and is a guy that produces turnovers. 

If the goal is to win as many games in 2023 as possible I don't get the fascination from fans happy to boot Byard out the door, the return via draft compensation and cap room isn't worth it to lose his durability and leadership/culture setting on a team that is about to become younger and more inexperienced.

2 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

If the goal is to win as many games in 2023 as possible I don't get the fascination from fans happy to boot Byard out the door, the return via draft compensation and cap room isn't worth it to lose his durability and leadership/culture setting on a team that is about to become younger and more inexperienced.

Add to that safeties have longer shelf lives. His play isn't dropping off anytime soon. 

6 hours ago, titansfan said:

Sometimes I dont think you actually watch the Titans play... I think you just read some PFF articles.

Byard is pretty impactful for Tennessee and has very much kept together a young and inexperienced secondary. He covers a lot of mistakes and gets players in the right positions pre snaps... and still finds ways to make big plays.

Yet the Titans are looking at having him take a paycut, as I predicted about him and Henry(offered in trade).

You're a clueless fan

8 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

He isn't getting an AAV of $19 million that is just the cap number because JRob used Byard's contract as a credit card to push money into the future, his AAV is only $14.1 million which is 9th in the NFL for a safety.

You don’t think I know that? It doesn’t change the current situation. He’s not a $19M player and that is his # this year and essentially next year. He’s not a man cover guy and you shouldn’t pay any safety especially a guy that can’t take away someone $19M in a season. The NFL is a business- Byard is a great leader, a local, and a solid , very durable player- it doesn’t change the fact that he’s not worth $19M (esp at 30) regardless what contract restructuring he’s done. Andrew Adams off the street at S was just as effective as our 2 starters, we need to put that money into Edge/DL and CB on defense. Our cap has been poorly setup with inflated contracts at positions of interchangeable value. S, RB, ILB with Cunningham. You need to pay QBs,OT, Edge/DL , CBs and WRs

8 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot1 said:

This. Not sure Tannehill ever bought a house here, but he only lives here like 5 mos of the year. Think his wife and kids stay in Miami full time. 

Yes, he bought a house here for sure, but his primary residence is in FL. 

2 minutes ago, TWR said:

You don’t think I know that? It doesn’t change the current situation. He’s not a $19M player and that is his # this year and essentially next year. He’s not a man cover guy and you shouldn’t pay any safety especially a guy that can’t take away someone $19M in a season. The NFL is a business- Byard is a great leader, a local, and a solid , very durable player- it doesn’t change the fact that he’s not worth $19M (esp at 30) regardless what contract restructuring he’s done. Andrew Adams off the street at S was just as effective as our 2 starters, we need to put that money into Edge/DL and CB on defense. Our cap has been poorly setup with inflated contracts at positions of interchangeable value. S, RB, ILB with Cunningham. You need to pay QBs,OT, Edge/DL , CBs and WRs

It does change the situation. Paying him 14M AAV 9th as a S in the NFL is commensurate with his play, IMO. The cap hit is high, but unless we specifically need that money for something else, it doesn't matter. Add in that cutting him would only save 6M in cap space, and you'd need to sign a replacement. Post June 1 cut, and that money would push 8M dead cap into next year and funds wouldn't be available until June 1st. 

He had a slightly worse year last year than in 2021, but still really good. 

PFF has him ranked 6th in 22. 
image.png.2d594f37101f8bab584ea909b2a0bd7b.png

13 minutes ago, Supdawg said:

Yes, he bought a house here for sure, but his primary residence is in FL. 

It does change the situation. Paying him 14M AAV 9th as a S in the NFL is commensurate with his play, IMO. The cap hit is high, but unless we specifically need that money for something else, it doesn't matter. Add in that cutting him would only save 6M in cap space, and you'd need to sign a replacement. Post June 1 cut, and that money would push 8M dead cap into next year and funds wouldn't be available until June 1st. 

He had a slightly worse year last year than in 2021, but still really good. 

PFF has him ranked 6th in 22. 
image.png.2d594f37101f8bab584ea909b2a0bd7b.png

You must have missed where i said to cut hm this season ? No - i said he is a candidate to be offloaded - he could be traded, post June 1 released ($13.xM) or as i said the most likely scenario is that hat he will never see 2024 under current contract structure so it would be in his best interest to extend now and lower those cap hits

44 minutes ago, TWR said:

You aren't wrong but many here won't like it.

11 hours ago, titansfan said:

Safety is the one position you can't evaluate as a fan.  It's why when you say things like this, I know, beyond any doubt, that you don't know what you're talking about.

I won't deny that Byard makes a big impact because it's reflected in the way the team talks about him, his turnovers, and his salary.  But to pretend like you're seeing something on 'tape' that others can't see is completely disingenuous and screams of the fake persona you try to aspire to.  

16 minutes ago, oldschool said:

You aren't wrong but many here won't like it.

I really do wish they had offered him an extension to ease the cap burden.  Give him some more guaranteed money and security, while Titans keep a core player and get some cap relief.  Win win.  That would have been better than threatening to cut him if he didn't take a pay cut.  This type of move doesn't go over well in the locker room with a bunch of other young players who will be in similar situations in the not too distant future.  If you treat your 'star' like this, how are you going to treat the rest of us?