Analytics in play - Cognitive Testing used for NFL Prospects

BudsOilers

25 minutes ago, TF_Titan said:

I don't know about the Wonderlic, but it's important to have both raw intelligence and to be able to process quickly. They are two different, but important things. Being able to digest a playbook, study/learn defensive tendencies, make pre-snap reads...that's all about IQ/intelligence. Being able to quickly react and make decisions after the ball is snapped is all about processing speed. I think the latter is more important, but doesn't eliminate the need for the former.

Agreed.    Like I said, the Wonderlic definitely has its place….and it used to get a lot of  attention with draft prospects.  

But after following it for years, I never saw any correlation between the players’ Wonderlic scores and their eventual success or failure in the NFL.    QBs who scored in the 30s-40s had basically the same success/failure rate as QBs with  lower scores in the teens and 20s.    

Here’s a link to a page that lists the Wonderlic scores for hundreds of players from years past, including dozens of QB prospects.  You’d think the more  intelligent  QBs in the top half of the list would be significantly more successful than those the bottom half of the list….but that’s really not the case. 

https://wonderlictestpractice.com/nfl-wonderlic-scores/

1 hour ago, nine said:

The Wonderlic has its place and all that…but it examines a completely different type of intelligence. I never felt it had any correlation whatsoever to football.    

This S2 test seems to offer a much better indicator as to a player’s aptitude for the game and his ability to assimilate quickly.    

I think it works to weed out the dullards...aka Vince. 

Archived