Raiders Derek Carr released - (Signing with Saints pg 14)

AussieTitanFan08

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rumor has it Carr and his wife are touring MBA this week…

Still hillarios that morons bit on the Carr hysteria.   Also, if the Titans traded Tannehill away, they would use the ammo to trade up for a QB if they could.  They wouldn't just go and sign

Im told it helps if you wear eye liner as well

Posted Images

How much does it actually screw the Raiders? If he's still on the roster by Feb 15, his 2023 base salary of $32.9M becomes guaranteed and a portion of his 2024 base salary does as well ($7.5M). But if a team trades for him, it can't be officially processed until March 15th from what I can tell. So it seems like teams would be having to accept that his 2023 salary is fully guaranteed and a small portion of his 2024 salary is as well, when they trade for him. This will form part of the negotiations I imagine.

There is a risk the Raiders will be unable to trade him this season with this contract, meaning they'll have to cop the $32.9M whether he is on the roster or not (if he's still there after Feb 15 for them to try and figure out a trade partner). The longer he is on the roster after March 15 and they try and work out a trade, the longer it hits their 2023 cap.

But that seems unlikely to me, as I think some team will want to do it. It isn't like it's out of line with QB costs. What I'm not sure about is what flexibility this allows for in restructuring or renegotiating a new contract - if it's the latter, it wouldn't be too hard to give him more than $32M in 2023 in the form of a signing bonus + salary and bring that cap hit down.

Edited by OzTitan

If Carr gets traded, he’d be guaranteed $40M between this year's salary plus $7M in 2024. If he gets cut, he could get a new long term contract with a new signing bonus but I’m not sure how much teams would spend on him.

I don’t really know which option is better for him. Probably free agency, but it could go either way. 

Just now, AussieTitanFan08 said:

According to Jeremy Fowler the buzz doing the rounds at the Senior Bowl was Derek Carr to the Saints.

As they do every offseason, they have a really tough salary cap job to do that will require multiple extensions to aging players

Will be interesting how they go about this

• Jamalisms changed the title to Raiders Derek Carr released - (Signing with Saints pg 14)