Sean Payton expected to be the next Broncos Head Coach

AussieTitanFan08

8 hours ago, scine09 said:

There have been some mediocre coaches who have won the Super Bowl.  

I think if you ran a comparison of McCarthy's time in Green Bay with Favre and Rodgers and compared it with Payton's time in New Orleans with Brees it would be eerily similar.  McCarthy had one of the two from 2006-2018 and Payton had Brees from 2006-2020 with one year (2012) off because of the suspension.

Like I said, I would probably take Payton over McCarthy but I think the difference is small.  Having Sean Payton isn't going to change anything if Russell Wilson doesn't turn it around.  And he's never been a good late game coach to begin with, something the Broncos struggled with this season.

The difference between them is Aaron Rodgers is arguably the most talented QB in NFL history. Brees was physically very limited and actually held back what Payton could do on offense, significantly so in his final 5ish years. That was never an issue with Rodgers

It's one of the NFL great tragedies that Rodgers was saddled with McCarthy

Edited by IrishTitansFan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe I'll look like a fool in the future but it really feels like the new Broncos ownership is getting taken for a ride at all levels lol

They are giving 2023 1st and 2024 2nd round pick lol how dumb 

Brees is one of the most overrated QB's of all time.

14 hours ago, BudsOilers said:

Brees is one of the most overrated QB's of all time.

Seems a bit ridiculous.  Brees never really had a legit star WR until the very end of his career. Made do with guys like Marcus Colston, Devry Henderson and Lance Moore…

Brees def compiled a bunch of stats because of a ridiculous volume, he led the league in INTs a lot

He also played very poorly in crucial spots in the postseason when the Saints were true SB contenders

1 hour ago, japan said:

Seems a bit ridiculous.  Brees never really had a legit star WR until the very end of his career. Made do with guys like Marcus Colston, Devry Henderson and Lance Moore…

Not really.  He was very good but he's nowhere near as great as his compiled stats would leave you to believe.   He was never in the Brady/Manning/Rodgers level.

In some ways, he's a lot like Warren Moon - skewed by his system where he threw it more than anyone else. 

The Broncos made this move because they are completely tied to Russell Wilson and have to do whatever they can to fix him. I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to move draft capital for a coach. 

And while we can debate the impact of good to great coaches, what shit coaches do is undeniable. The Broncos have failed miserably at acquiring coaches in recent years--Hackett and other bums like Fangio and Vance Joseph. They can't afford to miss on a coach while gambling with Russ at the same time--when you're all in Payton is the closest thing to a safe bet and I see why they are doing it. 

7 hours ago, BudsOilers said:

Not really.  He was very good but he's nowhere near as great as his compiled stats would leave you to believe.   He was never in the Brady/Manning/Rodgers level.

In some ways, he's a lot like Warren Moon - skewed by his system where he threw it more than anyone else. 

Definitely agree that he wasn't in the Brady, Manning Rodgers level.  But he was way better than Moon.  

2 minutes ago, japan said:

Definitely agree that he wasn't in the Brady, Manning Rodgers level.  But he was way better than Moon.  

Agree but the gap between Moon & Brees is way closer than the gap between Brees and those elite guys.

34 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I'm not sure what you guys are on about. He was a top 5 QB for a really long time and top 3 for a good portion of it. 

I don't think he was ever top 3.....over Brady, Manning, Rodgers??  Very good - sure...

3 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

I don't think he was ever top 3.....over Brady, Manning, Rodgers??  Very good - sure...

Besides Manning's first year in Denver, Brees was better every year after the neck surgery. One could argue Wilson would then slot in at 3. Either way, I'd put him top 3 pretty much every year between 2012 and 2018. 

I agree he wasn't on those 3 level, but really only Mahomes can lay claim to that in the current era. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

1 minute ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Besides Manning's first year in Denver, Brees was better every year after the neck surgery. One could argue Wilson would then slot in at 3. Either way, I'd put him top 3 pretty much every year between 2012 and 2018. 

I agree he wasn't on those 3 level, but really only Mahomes can lay claim to that in the current era. 

He threw a ton of passes in those years so he compiled some volume stats.....Manning was clearly better through 2014.  After Manning fell off you had guys like Ryan and Wilson who were better in those time windows....and then came Mahomes.

IMO he gets overrated because people look at stat lines that look impressive until you realize NO was throwing it 20% than any other team.  Hence my Moon R&S reference.  

20 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

He threw a ton of passes in those years so he compiled some volume stats.....Manning was clearly better through 2014.  After Manning fell off you had guys like Ryan and Wilson who were better in those time windows....and then came Mahomes.

IMO he gets overrated because people look at stat lines that look impressive until you realize NO was throwing it 20% than any other team.  Hence my Moon R&S reference.  

I can appreciate that, but I stand by he was top 3 at least a few of those years and certainly top 5 for almost his entire time in NO. 

I'll add I never saw Moon play so I don't have a reference point except what's highlighted here. Brees definitely had some huge choke moments in the playoffs, so I'm guessing that plays in with the Moon comparison. But he did win a championship and was the SB MVP. He also made it to 3 championship games. He's certainly better than Moon.