What Carthon and Vrabel should do this Offseason

BudsOilers

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Still don't get this fascination with keeping Lewan around.

Cap Situation Per OTC, the Titans are 23.3 M over the cap with 57 players under contract.   Cap Management My goal here is to reload, not rebuild, so I’d like to see them cut the d

They aren't carrying Lewan's $14 million cap hit all the way till the draft and missing the opportunity to sign a veteran swing OT in FA that can actually be relied on to play in 2023 if whichever roo

8 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Still don't get this fascination with keeping Lewan around.

Positional value

The facts are getting a quality LT is super hard and it's the Titans biggest need. 

I'd at least hold Lewan through the draft and close to camp to see how they fill the need and how the rookie looks. Plus if the draft goes wrong you have insurance

They don't have to clear Lewan's salary right away, they can wait on him

This all assuming Lewan doesn't retire and wants to play

I'm not sure we are closer to a rebuild or a retool:

QB - Need to target the QBOTF in the next couple years

RB - Need to become more modern at the position, especially with Henry approaching 30.

WR - Need more speed, and play makers

TE - Could run with Hooper and Chig next year.

OL - Can see a need for 5 new starters here if Jones retires and Davis leaves via Free Agency. NPF needs to make a year 2 jump if he wants to retain his starting position.

DL - Simmons extension, Autry age (defense plays much better with him in the field). Overall depth

Edge - Really lacking depth (especially with Landry returning from injury) here and potential starter opposite of Landry when Dupree is cut.

ILB - Might be looking at some new faces here with Cunningham being a cap causality and Long pending free agency.

CB - Fulton soft tissue injuries accumulating, Farely trending towards bust status, and overall depth

Safety - Should be set here.

Obviously every area can not be addressed in one off-season. I just see a lot of questions marks in every aspect of our team as it currently stands.

Edited by Thumbtack

Priority is the lines.  I think you can probably slide Brewer to C, draft your LT at #11, bring in a FA for LG, have Radunz compete with a rookie at RG and then NPF at RT.  On defense they have to find another imposing pass rush.

There are obviously other needs and 100 strategies to fill them but in my mind this is what the crux of the offseason will come down to.  

19 minutes ago, SirLanceALot said:

Can’t we save more on Dupree by being a Post June 1 cut? Or is that already added in to your number?

A post June cut saves an extra 6.4M on the cap this year.  The team will also have considerable post June expenses that they will ultimately have to account for.

42 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

You can but it doesn’t free up the money until June 1 then.  I opted to just clear it off the books now.  

In a scenario where Lewan is cut outright - it could make some sense to designate Dupree as Post June 1 and just use his savings to sign the draft class. 

12 hours ago, BudsOilers said:

The whole Lewan situation is to hold the asset until you know you have a replacement as opposed to using it as a cut to get under the cap.  It could work out that you dry up his options to force a pay cut or you use it as money to either have for post June /in season moves or adding a vet available via trade

That’s where I’m at. Keep him till you have his replacement secured.