Titans-Bengals gameday thread

Starkiller

We didn't lose today because of Henry or RT... 

but @SleepingTitan is absolutely right that Tannehill is way overpaid for his production... and the problems for maintaining an elite offensive talent level that has caused. He takes up a higher cap % than any other player in the league. .. and from the end of 2020 till now he's been averaging like a bottom tier player. 

also... what's with all the sudden talk about bengals stacking the box from the people always talking about stacked boxes only occur because of offensive formation? 

Edited by titanruss

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Feels pretty shitty to lose a game like this but the silver lining is that maybe Burks is closer to AJ Brown than we thought. Guy looks really good…

If you simply pretend that Caleb Farley never existed and Avery was picked instead, then the Titans nailed the first round in 2021!

The identity and strength of the team is supposed to be the running game.   Henry in January against the Bengals:  17 for 38, 2.2 YPC Today:  17 for 38, 2.2 YPC    Identical. 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, titanruss said:

The player costing the highest percentage of their teams cap across the entire league.... for like 2 years now. 

he's not worth anywhere close to that kind of money. he's not bad... we can't replace him that easy...  but he never should have gotten that kind of cash and no one else would have paid him close to that. 

he's not good enough to elevate players or win on his own. His cap cost us AJ and improving the oline. If he's paid for his production we have those on this team right now. 

AJ wanted the trade to the Eagles. 

But, here's an interesting story (that's it - that's the whole story):

image.png.3d9b589b03e3bd9a297fe5c689d49683.png

35 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

Calling me an idiot is not an argument. 

Tannehill has historically been pretty avg for sack %. Since he became a Titan, he's one of the worst in the league.  We complain about drops for him, yet statistically he has one of he lowest drop % (and has been that low every year). He's simply not that dude. When his attempts go up, his mistakes go up, revealing exactly who he is. 

And 29M is way too much for that production. 

I mean, if the shoe fits. He is way better than you are crediting him with. 

Don’t act like an idiot and you won’t be called out for your shit takes. 

I was at the game today, quite windy and had a chill in the air. It sure looks like every team we play from now on will adopt the 6 man front to stop Henry. That's 3 games in a row facing this same defense, and while we are passing the ball better, we could use more speed at wide receiver and at running back. The o-line is getting better at pass blocking, which is good, because they had a defensive player  in every single gap whenever Henry was on the field.

15 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I mean, if the shoe fits. He is way better than you are crediting him with. 

Don’t act like an idiot and you won’t be called out for your shit takes. 

I know he's not terrible, but it really seems like everyone is riding on that 2019 steam. If he was a running back, we'd all be saying "as soon as he got paid..."

He's just not a $29M QB. He's just not. He masterminded a way to get a starting job, played his ass off, got a check. Then, he leveraged when he had the leverage. People are talking shit about the Willis pick, but at some point Jrob has to start taking some serious shots at a QB. He can't keep letting his star picks walk to pay Tannehill and Henry. 

59 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Is this a serious comment?  I don't see how you can compare the QBs off of the stats for just this game? Tannehill had more yards and a better %, but which QB made better big time throws when it mattered?  Especially without his WR1.
On a larger scale, which one is Top 3-5 in almost every important QB category? Which one led a terrible franchise to the SB in his first full season?  
If the Titans had Joe Burrow they would be perennial SB favorites IMO. I might be wrong but I think Burrow is a couple tiers above Tannehill and that is not a knock on Ryan.

Your franchises terrible history has nothing to do with now. You finally have the coach qb and gm in place to fix your troubled past. Your wr2 is a wr1 on a lot of teams and was a great player once he stepped foot on the field. Shit your 3rd wr might be a #1 on some teams including ours. Tannehill has had maybe 1.5 seasons where he had good wr play and adequate protection in 2019 and 2020 and he put up some ridiculous numbers. Our GM has blown a bunch of 1st rd picks in that span on players that haven’t given us shit and our offense is still going off the same script we’ve been running since 2019. Good teams have caught up to what we do and we haven’t countered at all. Give Tannehill Chase Higgins Boyd and Mixon and he’d be killing people. Put Burrow on this team and he’s be getting his ass kicked by Tannehill and his all star Bengals skill players.

Edited by DecepticonShawn2

19 minutes ago, titanruss said:

he's not good enough to elevate players or win on his own. 

^^^This is the exact problem with Tannehill. 

When is the last time Tannehill threw a back shoulder pass on purpose? Or a side arm throw to get around a player? Or any out of the ordinary play? 

He has zero pocket presence. Doesn't seem to go past his first or second read, and forces passes to covered players when others are wide open (see pass to Chig when Woods was wide open today). Always has that stupid look on his face like he doesn't even know where he is. 

Tannehill has plenty of good recievers. Burks, Woods, Chig, Hooper, Hilliard, NWI, Henry. If a play is called to any other skill player he needs to check out of it. 

10 minutes ago, Nash said:

I was at the game today, quite windy and had a chill in the air. It sure looks like every team we play from now on will adopt the 6 man front to stop Henry. That's 3 games in a row facing this same defense, and while we are passing the ball better, we could use more speed at wide receiver and at running back. The o-line is getting better at pass blocking, which is good, because they had a defensive player  in every single gap whenever Henry was on the field.

Meanwhile Titans are in dime and nickel to stop Bengals. Because they're gonna pass. They're gonna pass because they have a great QB. Titans are going to play a balanced, run first approach -- cause they don't have a great QB. They got a $29M QB that's not great. Even when Henry went down Vrabel said "we're not changing our offense." 

When you don't have a great player, you scheme for him to be elevated. That's exactly what MLF-Art did for RT. Downsing and Tannehill (my opinion) are in a pointing match right now and both are Spiderman. 

3 hours ago, japan said:

We ran into fronts that had 6 DL. I didn’t see the game but listened to it and Keith continually said they were stacking the box and run blitzing and we kept running right into it. But, like I said I didn’t watch it so I could be wrong. 

I mean, Henry averaged 2.2 ypc with a long of 9. 🤷‍♂️

That's exactly what happened.  No one's harping on them for running Henry.  It's that they ran it into obvious stacked boxes and run stopping look by CIN.  And some of those were momentum killers too and stalled multiple drives.

Losses like this always bring out the idiot brigade takes too.

18 minutes ago, rns90 said:

It's that they ran it into obvious stacked boxes and run stopping look by CIN.

The Bengals had some great run blitzes like these from Hilton. Four down lineman and a slot corner, with LBs not exactly screaming toward the line. This is not running into stacked boxes or 6 DL fronts like Japan, who didn’t even watch the game, suggested. 

Edited by titaninpgh

• Jonboy unpinned this topic