Why 'do' the Titans run the football?

Number9

Every game the Titans play, they say the so'n'sos versus Derrick Henry and the Tennessee Titans.  Then Mike Vrabel has made no secret that they want to get Henry 25-30 carries each game.  This has been going on for years now.

I will not say what I think because I do not wish to get in any debates.  I will say this.  It's somewhat unanimous current thinking here these *two things::

1.  PA doesn't improve no matter who runs the ball.  

2.  T.O.P. doesn't make any difference in the outcome of games.

So, why do the Titans commit so much effort to running the ball?  Keep in mind they have been doing the same thing the last three years.

*I can present my evidence

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Bongo59  

Did you even read what you responded to?  Those tweets from Mitchell Schwartz perfectly explain what the reasoning is and why this organization builds the team the way it does and plays the way it doe

Tons of reasons   1: Limits turnovers 2: Keeps the other offense off the field when done well 3: Wears down the defense and keeps the DL honest, particularly pass rushers which hel

Posted Images

Tons of reasons

1: Limits turnovers

2: Keeps the other offense off the field when done well

3: Wears down the defense and keeps the DL honest, particularly pass rushers which helps with a suspect line

4: They want to get to 3rd and short and believe running the ball is the best way to keep out of negative situations

5: They have been built to run the ball for years now

6: Tannehill doesn't really suit an offense where you would ask him to drop back 40 times and read the entire field, particularly with a suspect OL

7: They like to run their formations which they can run and pass out of, which helps the PA game. PA is where Tannehill is arguably the best QB in the NFL and is the foundation of the offense

8: No team wants to face a team who can run the ball well. It wears you down, it's demoralising, and it does exert some physical dominance

9. Henry has big play ability that somewhat compensates for not throwing the ball more. Not as much this year but in previous years

I disagree with a lot of it, particularly point 4, but I believe that's why they do it

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

The OP has no evidence. In fact the evidence supports that Play Action success is not predicated on rushing success. Evidence also supports that TOP is meaningless. Its about redzone efficiency and explosive plays.

TOP is important in that it's often a symptom of your team doing important stuff well: Running the ball, limiting negative plays, converting first downs, getting off the field on 3rd downs, but yeah it means nothing if you're not scoring points. You can control TOP all game and if you are kicking FG's then it doesn't matter if the other team can create big plays

TOP is important in controlling outcomes via complementary football.  This assumes that your roster is built this way.  

For example having Freeney and Mathis makes sense when you have aPeyton manning because you rarely need to stop the run.  People will pass to catch up.  Dallas is built like this now.  

TN is built 180 opposite this way.  Stop the run so you have to face the DL on long drives.  Means you do not have to have elite CBs but you need a deep DL.  TN and SF are built this way.  

The way TN and SF plays you do not need a 50 million dollar QB or 25 million dollar WRs.  You should be built to dominate the LOS.  TN OL is their weakest part of the philosophy but Henry makes it work.  That is where most of the people on this board refuse to get.  

They want to talk about Tanny.  Last yr Tanny was the main problem.  His TO killed the team.  The D was not dominant enough until the second half.  This yr the D is even stronger and deeper.  

The offense is rounding into form as the injured WR and rookie TE begin to flex for Tanny.  Tanny this yr is playing super well.  His accuracy this year has been good.  He has not hurt us year to date.  Henry is the engine that makes it work when pieces are missing from the philosophy.  Same thing is true for Mahommes in KC.  He did not need Tyreek to win.  KC is built like Manning's Colts.  Same as Allen's Bills.  

Styles make fights.  I prefer the way TN is built now than any other model.  I love defensive football because it travels and is weather independent.  

Being built like TN makes being great in the RZ an easier task.  This is why TN is so good at situational football.  That is BB and Vrabel's philosophy.  

Bengals are a high risk O that is good in RZ because they have elite QB and the best trio of WR in the league.  As we saw last yr in the SB, a great DL can shut it down if their offense does not turn the ball over.  

Edited by Bongo59

Those who undertand football have their own biases.  Some like the Manning style offense.  Others like the defensive focus.  You as a fan have to understand both and how it affects your roster and cap.  Only then can you understand if your HC and GM are congruent and good or not.  

Colts are best example of incongruence.  This is why Reich is gone.  Indy D is good enough.  Their O is a train wreck due to Ballard's errors.  

43 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

TOP is important in that it's often a symptom of your team doing important stuff well: Running the ball, limiting negative plays, converting first downs, getting off the field on 3rd downs, but yeah it means nothing if you're not scoring points. You can control TOP all game and if you are kicking FG's then it doesn't matter if the other team can create big plays

yeah thats what I was referring to. TOP without redzone efficiency or explosive points is useless. we see it every year. If I recall there is only a 6 min difference between the #1 team and the #32 team with regards to TOP this year. Its one of the most overused stats in sports.

The sports pundits are constantly talking about a team having an identity.. Vrabel's teams are physical, balanced, and well coached, i.e. minimize penalties, take advantage of another teams weaknesses, situational football, and clock management..

Another factor is the team is built around a generational running back and his strengths..