Turkish Invasion of Syria

tgo

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

Toward what goal?

Eliminating terrorist safe havens/operations. I think it's related to the recent attacks in Istanbul, etc. 

US issued a statement supporting Turkey's right to "self defense," so in support of the military operation. US has been allowing Turkey to use US controlled airspace in the area for airstrikes into Syria. 

Edited by tgo

8 minutes ago, reo said:

I don't trust Erdogan. At the very least Russia will use this in propaganda to try and defend their invasion of Ukraine. 

I don't disagree about Erdogan, but the ship has sailed on Russia being able to defend their actions in Ukraine. No amount of propaganda is going to make a difference to anyone that matters.

23 minutes ago, TF_Titan said:

I don't disagree about Erdogan, but the ship has sailed on Russia being able to defend their actions in Ukraine. No amount of propaganda is going to make a difference to anyone that matters.

If Republicans had done better in the midterms, it 100% would've mattered. MTG and the Putin caucus are still going to try and cut support to Ukraine. They would've had a better chance if Republicans had more control though. 

If the past 6 years has taught you guys anything, it should be that having a logical reason isn't the point. It's about having an excuse. 

41 minutes ago, TF_Titan said:

My point is that Russian propaganda is not going to move the needle either way. Whether aid to Ukraine is increased or decreased it won't have anything to do with Russia's framing of Turkey's actions in Syria.

And my point is that it 100% does move the needle for Republicans. Have you not been paying attention at all the past 6 years?

It's just that it doesn't seem like those that will be moved by it will have enough power to do anything about it.

Edited by reo

1 hour ago, reo said:

Of course they are. That's not the point.

I'd say the fact that they are attacking the Kurds is exactly the point. 

The Kurds were our allies in the region. We worked with them against Saddam, ISIS, and Syria. Then Trump stabbed them in the back and abandoned them. I don’t really know what happened since then, but it sounds like we are currently working with them again to some degree under Biden. 

The real issue is that we need the Turks on our side when it comes to Ukraine. It puts Biden in a hard position here.