World Cup 2022

wiscotitansfan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Third in the world. Last time in Russia, we were second. Good result for the small country

First half of the US versus Wales went about as well as one could hope. Of course, you could always hope for even more scoring opportunities and goals but the US was patient, maintained good possessio

Posted Images

First half of the US versus Wales went about as well as one could hope. Of course, you could always hope for even more scoring opportunities and goals but the US was patient, maintained good possession and created opportunities for themselves. And then they applied good pressure, recovered well and kept Wales from having almost any opportunities. Some of that possession is, I think, based on Wales play style but a lot of it was just the US with good touches and patience and simply playing better than the opponent.

It was interesting to see how things changed after the goal, though. It seemed like Wales, emotionally before the goal, almost felt that something bad was inevitable and then it was almost as if they gained composure for a bit after that first goal and then carried that into the second half.

Definitely felt like the US didn't handle the emotional roller coaster of having the lead. Not only were their touches off and some of the possessions wasted in ways that they didn't do in the first half ... but the penalty that yielded the equalizer was unnecessary. By the end of the game it almost felt like Wales had the better performance overall. Just overall frenetic on offense in the second half.

A tie is fair but it's not at all optimal for the US. And, side note, a cross into the box almost felt completely wasted. Few good challenges there, never seemed very threatening.

That US goal, btw, was pretty spectacular, as goals go. Good touches, one of your key players getting in the exact position you would want as he runs at the opponent and then an excellent off ball run with a beautiful touch to put it away.

1 hour ago, Jamalisms said:

By the end of the game it almost felt like Wales had the better performance overall. Just overall frenetic on offense in the second half.

Yeah, it's crazy to think about it seeming to be a pretty even performance with how well the US played the first half along with how much of a blowout the possession percentages were.

I don't watch soccer unless its World Cup for the most part but man, I forgot how frustrating officiating, penalties and altogether personal discretion in general is when it comes to soccer compared to other sports. 

Edited by wiscotitansfan

I was surprised at how bad the US were second half. Wales are at the end of a good era, but their squad is now very weak. The US are probably better in almost every position bar striker, where Wales have 2 better than any the US can field in Johnson and Moore

The US completely dominated first half but I think their lack of a true #9 probably hurt them, they might struggle to score much

US midfield just got tired in the 2nd half after dominating the 1st half. 

Looking forward to Friday. England should win but I think US matches up better than people expect. 

Side note, Prag got a shout out by name by mls soccer for a 25 tweet thread on what he expected to see yesterday. Was pretty cool. 

18 hours ago, reo said:

US midfield just got tired in the 2nd half after dominating the 1st half. 

Looking forward to Friday. England should win but I think US matches up better than people expect. 

Side note, Prag got a shout out by name by mls soccer for a 25 tweet thread on what he expected to see yesterday. Was pretty cool. 

If England play to their potential it shouldn't be a contest.

U.S don't have a single player that would get anywhere close to the England squad unfortunately, although it would be great to see them win

5 hours ago, IrishTitansFan said:

U.S don't have a single player that would get anywhere close to the England squad unfortunately, although it would be great to see them win

Yup. That's why the draw for the US the other day was such a failure

6 hours ago, IrishTitansFan said:

I'd say you're overrating England to a degree and underrating the US. The main place England has the edge is Kane. 

But honestly it's not overly worth debating.

34 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Yup. That's why the draw for the US the other day was such a failure

It wasn't ideal but I wouldn't call it a failure. It'll depend heavily on how Wales does against England too. What would be bad is if England beats the US and gets upset by Wales. 

If US can squeak out a tie vs England and beat Iran, then they're in decent shape. If they lose to England (probably) then they can still make it through but they'll need help. Probably come down to goal diff.

55 minutes ago, reo said:

It wasn't ideal but I wouldn't call it a failure. It'll depend heavily on how Wales does against England too. What would be bad is if England beats the US and gets upset by Wales. 

If US can squeak out a tie vs England and beat Iran, then they're in decent shape. If they lose to England (probably) then they can still make it through but they'll need help. Probably come down to goal diff.

I moreso meant by after gauging how the first half went and general feel for the game. We should have won that and secured the 3 pts but getting a draw and giving Wales some hope getting outta this round isn't ideal.

2 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

I moreso meant by after gauging how the first half went and general feel for the game. We should have won that and secured the 3 pts but getting a draw and giving Wales some hope getting outta this round isn't ideal.

Yeah, definitely wasn't ideal.

2 hours ago, reo said:

I'd say you're overrating England to a degree and underrating the US. The main place England has the edge is Kane. 

But honestly it's not overly worth debating.

I think England are generally way overrated, this squad however is insane

Not a single US player would make the 26 man squad. It’s not just the US though, they probably have the best overall squad in the competition with Brazil