Fixing the Offense: My Thoughts

AvgJoe

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love how everything we hate about the offense is Downing’s fault but the few things we like are due to Kelly. Lol

FIRE DOWNING!!!!!!!!

You can be happy with the win while also acknowledging the offensive deficiencies are a massive problem that will likely prevent the team from being a real contender. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

I love how everything we hate about the offense is Downing’s fault but the few things we like are due to Kelly. Lol

I try hard not to have that mindset, I really do. But clearly the script is great and that’s a team effort and Downing makes the calls in game. That’s why I give him all the grief

5 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Back in reality, it won't matter who the OC is as long as Vrabel is insistent on his bass ackward philosophy and penchant for sticking his hands in the cookie jar.

The guy is the head coach. I get that. But for fucks sake, the guy comes from the defensive side of the ball. I understand wanting the offense to operate in a general way and as the HC he should get what he wants, but hire good offensive people to come in and do the job and keep the micromanagement bullshit to himself.

Edited by NashvilleNinja

1 minute ago, Bulluck4dmvp said:

I’d love to challenge the defense down the field but it’s tough to do when you have so little speed at WR

We had a poor man's Tyreek in Raymond, but we only utilized him once every blue moon. I don't think JRob or Vrabel care too much about getting speedy guys like that in here. They're all about plodding brick shit house receivers who block like tight ends and tackle like linebackers.

39 minutes ago, AvgJoe said:

Obviously I’ve been pretty vocal in the game threads about offensive struggles in the 2nd half. Here are some thoughts on what the issues are and the built-in solutions to the problems:

1) We are not challenging teams down field and are allowing them to defend everything within 10 yards of the sticks. I don’t know why Downing refuses to challenge a defense, but when you allow a defense to hunker down you kill your own offense. Everything today and the majority of this season has been 5-10 yards.  This team should take deep shots down the field at least 3-4 times per game at a minimum. Doing so will open up run lanes and underneath stuff. 

2) It’s clear the scripted plays work and Downing fails to adjust and know what to do as the game progresses. I think the stellar drives are put together by the plan and install Kelly and Downing do together during the week. Then, when he has to make adjustments, he completely freezes and makes mistakes. 

3) The team constantly puts itself in bad spots with the first down runs. I just picture Vrabel over there “yeah run it, let’s impose our will” and the proceeding play leads to a loss of yards and bad start. I’d simply throw the ball more early, get the QB in a rhythm, and stop the opposing team from stacking the box. I’d also run that crosser route that the Colts killed us with twice on the Allie-Cox TD’s. 

4) Quick slants. Similarly to the deep shots, slants take advantage of a pressing defense and can get you positive yardage. Yet Downing refuses to run these. I’d elevate Gordon to the active roster over Hollister and use his size to convert some 2nd and 3rd and shorts on slants. Burks is like AJB and could take some of these to the house. 

5) Swing Pass replaces pitch play. Enough said, it’s a very easy way to get the ball to Henry and have him running down hill fast

6) Cut Hollister. He brings absolutely nothing to the roster

None of this is rocket science. The Titans need to adapt better in game and challenge a defense early and often. Back then off and make them think you can score from 70 yards down field. It’s a lot easier to impose your will when you actually challenge a defense and don’t make it so easy on them. 

Why put all of this on Downing? It's also possible Tannehill is deciding to play it safe in the 2nd half with the lead and going with the easier throw instead of the deeper one.

Just bc a play goes to a 5 yd completion doesn't mean there weren't deeper routes that weren't thrown to.

Edited by reo

Today was run, pass, run, pass on first down to start the four second half drives before the final one where they just ran to kill the clock.

Part of the problem is that they checked down on the two passes. Part is that the runs weren't successful. Part of it is penalties and sacks and failed plays on the other downs. I don't think they necessarily went into a run shell and tries to cram it down the Colts' throats today.

6 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Seems more like people are discussing obvious and repeated issues that stuff risk future success unless fixed.

You interested in ignoring it? Probably not the thread to open.

Fair point