What is fair compensation for the #5 pick?

abenjami

10 team league, no PPR, no keepers.  I have the #5 pick.

I love drafting in the middle (4-5-6-7) in this league.  But given it's no PPR, I don't see the first round #5 pick being valuable.  I suspect the top 4 will go Taylor, CMC, Henry, Cook.  I see those guys as being in a tier above guys like Ekeler and the top WR's in a no-PPR.

Assuming that's how the top 4 go, I'm going to try to trade away my #5 pick.  Not switch draft slots or anything, just trade away my first round pick.

What do you think is fair compensation for that?  I was thinking of offering the #10 slot my #5 pick for his second and third round picks.  He ends up with picks #5 and #10 in the first 3 rounds, and I end up with picks #11, #18, #29 and #40.

I think that would be robbery. You will probably have to know their draft strategy and who they want to make a fair trade offer. 

I would be fine with taking Ekeler at #5. He is good for double digit TDs with his usage in the run and passing game making him a fine pick for standard leagues.

40 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

I think that would be robbery. You will probably have to know their draft strategy and who they want to make a fair trade offer. 

What do you think would be a fair trade then not knowing his strategy, etc.?

My proposal above is to trade #5 for #11 and #30.  Even if I said my first for his second and fourth, then it's #5 for #11 and #31.

The next step down would be my first for his second and fifth.  But I don't think that's worth it for me to trade #5 for #11 and #50.

3 minutes ago, abenjami said:

What do you think would be a fair trade then not knowing his strategy, etc.?

My proposal above is to trade #5 for #11 and #30.  Even if I said my first for his second and fourth, then it's #5 for #11 and #31.

The next step down would be my first for his second and fifth.  But I don't think that's worth it for me to trade #5 for #11 and #50.

I think you are going to have to look at swapping picks only. 

Here is the way I see it. At 10 and 11 he is guaranteed two tier 2 players so why give one of those up to draft a tier 2 player? The jump from 10 to 5 isn't significant enough to give up a top 50 pick. Or atleast I would never do it.

Would you trade Chubb/Kamara/Chase and Etienne/Montgomery/McLaurin for Ekeler? 

3 hours ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

I think you are going to have to look at swapping picks only. 

Here is the way I see it. At 10 and 11 he is guaranteed two tier 2 players so why give one of those up to draft a tier 2 player? The jump from 10 to 5 isn't significant enough to give up a top 50 pick. Or atleast I would never do it.

Would you trade Chubb/Kamara/Chase and Etienne/Montgomery/McLaurin for Ekeler? 

"At least I would never do it." This is the key. Test a couple of owners around that range and see what happens. Some owners aren't that smart.  Start from a position that is to your favor and move closer to fair. Cast a lot of offers. You'll be surprised what you can get 

Archived