What’s our streaming options this year?

pat

5 minutes ago, titanruss said:

yeah and I bet the integrated cost will be minimal compared to a similar tv without it. 

I'd assume they try to push the marketing but most people will be slow to understand what it is and think it's a step back to old tech rather than a step forward. 

Yeah, I think most people don’t want an antenna and I feel like won’t really use it even when it’s integrated into TVs.

OTA is still way better for live events. It sucks having everyone’s internet based streams desynced. 

Maybe that’s the play. 

I also read that while the signal comes OTA it’ll integrate with your internet mostly to facilitate better, more targeted ads… and also live betting. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you sign up for Trump University…

People sleep on a simple antenna to pick up local broadcasts, but it’s the way to go if you can.    You’ll also get better audio and video quality (note, nothing to do with resolution) because

NFL Gamepass international. No compromises.

2 hours ago, titanruss said:

Even outside the city the resolution across the country is pretty damn good at 1080i - which changes to 1080p on modern tvs....

But Nashville has several stations running the more modern NextGenTV / ATSC 3.0 which can get 4k UHD HDR over the air with Dolby surround. I'm positive I was getting a 4k signal for games as a I streamed from a laptop in 1080p and compared it to the air signal.

I don't know if we are in 8k over the air yet but several of the big cities are. Japan has a pretty widely used over the air 8k with a crazy 22.1 audio format. ...

ATSC is also capable of over the air internet for places without normal corded access. 

crazy stuff. https://www.nexttv.com/news/atsc-3-0-nextgen-tv

I assume you’re talking about getting college games in 4K? As far as I know the NFL has yet to broadcast a full 4K game. They’ve had TNF games on Fox broadcast in 4K but that was just an up-converted signal. 

17 minutes ago, japan said:

I assume you’re talking about getting college games in 4K? As far as I know the NFL has yet to broadcast a full 4K game. They’ve had TNF games on Fox broadcast in 4K but that was just an up-converted signal. 

I don't remember the game where i noticed the first time I feel like it was a super bowl a couple years ago. I also think the Olympics had a significantly better signal over digital antennae than what I could stream at. 

It's a possibility it might have been upscaled... or it even might have been as @Titans279 was saying and that the digital signals are compressed before getting to your device.  But almost every game last year I'd start out with a 1080p stream on my computer and the digital tv antenna to compare and just make sure I had options in case some thing went wrong and the TV usually looked noticeably better with less delay.  

The main quality difference between over the air broadcasting vs cable/satellite/streaming is video compression.

OTA signals generally aren’t compressed (I assume this is still true). Everything else is compressed for bandwidth purposes.

4 hours ago, titanruss said:

Even outside the city the resolution across the country is pretty damn good at 1080i - which changes to 1080p on modern tvs....

But Nashville has several stations running the more modern NextGenTV / ATSC 3.0 which can get 4k UHD HDR over the air with Dolby surround. I'm positive I was getting a 4k signal for games as a I streamed from a laptop in 1080p and compared it to the air signal.

I don't know if we are in 8k over the air yet but several of the big cities are. Japan has a pretty widely used over the air 8k with a crazy 22.1 audio format. ...

ATSC is also capable of over the air internet for places without normal corded access. 

crazy stuff. https://www.nexttv.com/news/atsc-3-0-nextgen-tv

I can pull all the local channels over the air in my travel trailer when I stay out at Cheatham Dam about 30 miles north of Nashville.

4 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

When I lived in Nashville I had a $30 outside antenna and got the games just fine. Sometimes in a heavy rain it was like satellite, but cleared up fast.  Only real problem was WSMV. They are such an old station they are near the bottom in bandwidth (this is over my head), but very hard to receive. Even the engineer at 4 said he lives in Bellevue, which is only 10 miles from 4 and has a hard time getting it. 

For what it’s worth I decided to go ahead and set up my antenna (rather than waiting for the game). I’m in Bellevue and I’m picking up all the locals, including WSMV. I have it on now waiting for the Music City Grand Prix and it’s perfect.

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

For what it’s worth I decided to go ahead and set up my antenna (rather than waiting for the game). I’m in Bellevue and I’m picking up all the locals, including WSMV. I have it on now waiting for the Music City Grand Prix and it’s perfect.

Ooh, thanks for the reminder. 

14 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

Yamaha amp does not have a HDMI input, but Optical. Go figure. Anyway, found an eARC HDMI to RCA for $30 so giving that a shot. They say it will control volume, which the optical would not do. We shall see.

Of course it has optical and not HDMI. 

Jfc...

17 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

Yamaha amp does not have a HDMI input, but Optical. Go figure. Anyway, found an eARC HDMI to RCA for $30 so giving that a shot. They say it will control volume, which the optical would not do. We shall see.

Depends on your budget, I used to have a old Yamaha(mid 90’s old) and just swapped it out for a denon s760(earc,(2) 2.1 hdmi ports and 4 regular ports. I run tv to earc on receiver then receiver out to everything else 

3 minutes ago, V_Man said:

I'm in TX and Nfl network shows they are airing the game on channel 212-1 on directv. Does anyone know for sure if this will air??

I’m seeing the same thing, though I can’t be sure if it will actually air. 

And it will be re-broadcast on Friday early morning on 212 proper.

29 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

If you are a student, or have a student you can mooch off of, then you can get the streaming Sunday Ticket option for $96 total right now.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15977278-nfl-sunday-ticket-u-only-for-students-without-directv-directv-96

I've done that for the past 4 or 5 years.