Red Dead Redemption II

9 Nines

This game is horrible in my opinion. I played it about 3 hours total. It is cumbersome with clunky controls and too many things, types of foods, weapons etc. making you have to pay too much attention to the clunky controls.  Based on what I read, the developers were aiming to make a simulation of a late 1800s western adventure. It does that but in my opinion, the clunky controls and tedious, slow pace of movement distract from that.  I assumed it was going to be Grand Theft Auto 5, one of the best game in my view, but wrapped in a western adventure. That should have been easy to do, but instead they made a clunky mess that I have no desire to play further.   

I just ordered Resident Evil Village.  It looks cutting edge and should be fast paced - that slow travel in Read Dead Redemption 2 is just horrible. 

Edited by 9 Nines

7 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

A lot less to do, more story based (allegedly).

It's boring, imo.

Curious what your top 5 would be. I've always been partial to shooter games... bioshock and borderlands are up there for me. The last couple I liked a lot are doom eternal and Control. 

Edited by titanruss

Just now, 9 Nines said:

This game is horrible in my opinion. I played it about 3 hours total. It is cumbersome with clunky controls and too many things, types of foods, weapons etc. making you have to pay too much attention to the clunky controls.  Based on what I read, the developers were aiming to make a simulation of a late 1800s western adventure. It does that but in my opinion, the clunky controls and tedious, slow pace of movement distract from that.  I assumed it was going to be Grand Theft Auto 5, one of the best game in my view, but wrapped in a western adventure. That should have been easy to do, but instead they made clunky mess that I have no desire to play further. 

I feel like you'd like the far cry games. Lots of funny NPC moments mixed with modern vehicles and pretty quick access to them to get around without using cheat codes. Captivating storylines and less clunky controls. 

Just now, titanruss said:

I feel like you'd like the far cry games. Lots of funny NPC moments mixed with modern vehicles and pretty quick access to them to get around without using cheat codes. Captivating storylines and less clunky controls. 

Played all the recent ones. The latest came with my Xbox X bundle but it probably would have been the first game I would have bought had it not been included. That is a good series.  Even the games, within it are good - in the latest, I played dominoes around 6 to 8 hours total.  Also, I like that you can go stealth or full force in almost all encounters in the series. 

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

RD2 is a masterpiece but it's not a fun game. It's a serious story, like reading a book that provokes uncomfortable thoughts. Sort of like the Last of Us.

That is what I thought the aim was, therefore in my opinion, they should have made the controls less cumbersome and toned down the difficulty - or better, offered a story-mode or something giving a player a choice to just pay attention to the narration and story more so than the clumsy play.  

I took for granted that a Rock Stars game, that seems to be popular*, would be very good.  So I read no reviews on it before getting it.  I saw it on sale at Game Stop and I had a Game Stop credit I wanted to use, so I grabbed it. 

*Red Dead Redemption 2 held is price since release pretty well, and is often listed as a top game in game recommendation ranking list, so I assumed it was very good  and I did not read any details on it, as I usually do when getting a new game. Had I read reviews, I would have known better since it seems everyone hates this game as far as playing a game to have fun.  I have never seen such a consensus on a form of entertainment - everyone seems to agree; it is not fun.

Edited by 9 Nines

9 hours ago, oldschool said:

RD2 is a masterpiece but it's not a fun game. It's a serious story, like reading a book that provokes uncomfortable thoughts. Sort of like the Last of Us.

I didn't buy the story and it was predictable from the start. Nothing was a surprise. No emotional connection to any characters 

pretty repetitive too

Edited by titanruss

35 minutes ago, titanruss said:

I didn't buy the story and it was predictable from the start. Nothing was a surprise. No emotional connection to any characters 

pretty repetitive too

I did not play long, but I do not think I would have cared about any of the characters. 

28 minutes ago, 9 Nines said:

I did not play long, but I do not think I would have cared about any of the characters. 

I think maybe a connection with the first one got people more involved but I didn't have time for trying.