Padres Baby!

abenjami

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Houston will slaughter either the Padres or the Phillies.

Phillies knock out the Padres.    

Well there goes Juan Soto.  Thanks for not creating any really good memories!

10 hours ago, abenjami said:

I think the Padres potentially just made the biggest moves in major sports history.  Discuss...

It's interesting. I saw this compared to the Herschel Walker trade. It's hard to find real comparisons. Firstly, I sympathize with the Nationals and get why they did it--he turned down the biggest contract in baseball history. But it's kind of insane to think about the talent they've had and shed--there must be something about DC, especially since they got one in hand. 

Kudos to the Padres GM. I love that they aren't just accepting the Dodgers as defacto division winners. What an interesting situation and gamble. I hope it pays off and they get a series. I think the timing of their various contracts lines up nicely too. 

At this point, I just really don't understand how baseball teams have this much cash on hand. Right now the sport has some of the most marketable stars in the history of the game, at least potential wise. It just seems like baseball can't make people care or get people interested. The Angels in particular suck--Sho should get way more attention. Did Sammy, Mark, and Barry do that much damage? 

2 hours ago, Bink said:

It's interesting. I saw this compared to the Herschel Walker trade. It's hard to find real comparisons. Firstly, I sympathize with the Nationals and get why they did it--he turned down the biggest contract in baseball history. But it's kind of insane to think about the talent they've had and shed--there must be something about DC, especially since they got one in hand. 

Kudos to the Padres GM. I love that they aren't just accepting the Dodgers as defacto division winners. What an interesting situation and gamble. I hope it pays off and they get a series. I think the timing of their various contracts lines up nicely too. 

At this point, I just really don't understand how baseball teams have this much cash on hand. Right now the sport has some of the most marketable stars in the history of the game, at least potential wise. It just seems like baseball can't make people care or get people interested. The Angels in particular suck--Sho should get way more attention. Did Sammy, Mark, and Barry do that much damage? 

Lets not forget the expos/nats were a joke from the mid 90s on. They let several young studs go. Larry Walker, Pedro, Vlady, Grissom, etc. were all good young players in the early-mid 90s. The Nats continued to suck but they put together a few good drafts so they paid up to compete. Now they are on that tank again. They are on their way to having a lower tier payroll again. They are also expected to be sold this off season. 

13 hours ago, abenjami said:

I think the Padres potentially just made the biggest moves in major sports history.  Discuss...

I guess it really depends on what you classify as the biggest move. Is it in terms of great impact or just biggest trade haul?

14 hours ago, abenjami said:

I hope they at least get to the World Series.  They have added a lot of stars the past few years.

Seems like they sort of got Bell for nothing from the Nationals.  Also, prospects generally don't work out , especially if you're dealing a generational player like Soto.  So it was a no brainer move to acquire him.  The guys they gave up all seemed flawed to me, maybe except for Gore.  But he 's a pitcher and injuries could always happen.  It seems a little like the Cabrera trade to Detroit years ago and that worked out well for the Tigers.

On 8/4/2022 at 12:40 AM, abenjami said:

I'm sure there have been bigger moves made in the offseason, as you don't give anything up for free agents.

But some contenders:

Orioles Trade Curt Schilling, Steve Finley and Pete Harnisch to Astros for Glen Davis

Red Sox trade Babe Ruth for money

Charlotte Trades Kobe Bryant to Lakers for Larry Drew and Michael Cooper.

Golden State Warriors Trade C Robert Parish and 3rd pick (Kevin McHale) to the Boston Celtics for the 1st pick (Joe Carroll) and the 13th pick (Rickey Brown)

Baltimore Colts Trade John Elway to Denver Broncos for Mark Hermmann, Chris Hinton and a 1st round pick

47 minutes ago, Little Earl said:

I'm sure there have been bigger moves made in the offseason, as you don't give anything up for free agents.

But some contenders:

Orioles Trade Curt Schilling, Steve Finley and Pete Harnisch to Astros for Glen Davis

Red Sox trade Babe Ruth for money

Charlotte Trades Kobe Bryant to Lakers for Larry Drew and Michael Cooper.

Golden State Warriors Trade C Robert Parish and 3rd pick (Kevin McHale) to the Boston Celtics for the 1st pick (Joe Carroll) and the 13th pick (Rickey Brown)

Baltimore Colts Trade John Elway to Denver Broncos for Mark Hermmann, Chris Hinton and a 1st round pick

1 player in baseball doesn't impact a team as much as a QB or basketball player. Any major trade involving a super star QB or NBA player would easily trump the Soto trade. Soto isn't Babe Ruth or Barry Bonds. 

There are numerous trades throughout MLB history involving HOF players that were big time. IMO the Arod trade from Texas to the Yankees was the biggest trade as of late. The highest paid player in baseball has a deal fall through to the up and coming nemesis of the yankees. Yankees then swoop in and get Arod (the best shortstop and 2nd best player in baseball at the time) to switch positions. They package basically nothing to the Rangers to get him too. 

2 hours ago, bizzyeddie said:

meanwhile the O's trade away one of their best players/ team leader along with their all-star closer and only get better.

Seriously, more people should be talking about the O's turnaround here.  I think closers are pretty much fungible so was happy that they got assets for Lopez.

19 hours ago, rns90 said:

Seriously, more people should be talking about the O's turnaround here.  I think closers are pretty much fungible so was happy that they got assets for Lopez.

I don't think Lopez was going to remain the closer despite his hot start.  Bautista was looking like that guy as the season went along.

loved Mancini but this team has a lot of talent knocking in the door to get to the majors.  it was the right move.

whole organization has gotten so much better since Elias was hired...has been fun to watch even with all the losing 

22 hours ago, bizzyeddie said:

meanwhile the O's trade away one of their best players/ team leader along with their all-star closer and only get better.

your Orioles deal to get Frank Robinson was also better.  Although Soto is younger, he will never be the player Robinson was.

42 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

I don't think Lopez was going to remain the closer despite his hot start.  Bautista was looking like that guy as the season went along.

loved Mancini but this team has a lot of talent knocking in the door to get to the majors.  it was the right move.

whole organization has gotten so much better since Elias was hired...has been fun to watch even with all the losing 

They got 2 elite prospects coming up too with Rodriguez, and the other SS prospect Henderson I think.  It's fun to see them neck and neck w/Toronto who spent a lot of money.  I'll be rooting for them and Seattle to get those playoff spots.  Also nothing beats watching MLB when you have a playoff contender.  You get into the games and results.  It's totally different to watch.

I wish they hadn't fired Gary Thorne though. I loved listening to him call games.