Training Camp Discussion

16 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

Guilty as charged but unlike most of you, I usually enjoy my back and forths with big, even when we frustrate each other. Helps pass the time.

I'm fine with that stuff in the offseason but now there is football back and these sidebars are clogging up the best current thread about training camp.  I've had big, logicals and all the trolls on ignore since the beginning of training camp.  Really cuts down on the trash posts so I can read the content that is actually worthwhile without wasting my time on emotional drivel.  

Tabloid season is over.  

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The forum has been trolled by Davenport!    

Posted Images

7 hours ago, titaninpgh said:

If the Titans had Rodgers, Mahomes, Herbert, Watson, etc, do you think they’d be running the same offense that they currently do? Narrow that list down to Rodgers and Mahomes if you must. 

They’re not running an offense shaped by Tannehill’s limitations. But if Tannehill was *special*, they’d be running an offense built to maximize his extraordinariness. This offense ain’t designed to let a QB take control. You can be sure Mahomes and Rodgers would have the wheel if they were here.

Yes we would and the offense would fucking destroy. 

7 hours ago, titaninpgh said:

If the Titans had Rodgers, Mahomes, Herbert, Watson, etc, do you think they’d be running the same offense that they currently do? Narrow that list down to Rodgers and Mahomes if you must. 

Yes we would and the offense would fucking destroy. There is a lot of value in playing the brand of football we do in today's game. 

5 hours ago, big2033 said:

Once again, your too tied to Tannehill and are therefore bothered by the perception that we have to play this way. 

Yes, we want to play this way. This has won us games and pulled us out of the gutter in the AFC South.

Here's a little history lesson of how we got here:

1. They tried to change into a modern pass attack with Whisenhunt  and even to some extent Munchak - which brought some of the worst records and QB play we've had in a long time. We had no identity and were horrible in terms of competitiveness.

2. So they went back to heavier sets and being more conservative with Mariota.

3. Mike Mularkey promised to "protect" Mariota and therefore put him in an offense that relied on the run and heavy sets and concentrated on play action passing to simplify things for him and to lower sacks. It worked and we became a playoff team.

4. However, Mularkey's style, while helping Mariota, was too rigid to see if he can be the QBOTF ... and fans complained that Mularkey was "RUINING MARIOTA" with a run-first style. So they fired him and brought in a coach that they hoped could show us what Mariota really was and maximize players on offense.

5. Vrabel was brought in to MAXIMIZE our players. It became clear that the player that needed maximizing the most is Derrick Henry and not Mariota. In fact, it was obvious that Mularkey was masking Mariota's glaring deficiencies. The run game was the only thing keep Mariota a Titan.

6. So  they go shopping for a backup QB (Tannehill) that can at least push the ball downfield accurately when the run game gifts them with simplified reads and one-on-one coverage. He was traded for nothing by Miami as they tried putting the Dolphins on his shoulders and he crumbled. So they thought he was shit.

7. The Dolphins wanted Brady, and the Titans realized while he wasn't that, he a was more than capable starter if put in an offense that didn't make him the focal point.

We just needed a QB who can complete passes when our run-first style gets WRs wide open. If you put Tannehill in a situation where he isn't relied upon like in Miami, he might thrive, this is what GMs in the Sambo article said and ... he thrived with us. He's had his best years playing this way with us.

8. Since then, whenever the run game hasn't worked, Tannehill has struggled. He's had opportunities to step up and carry us in the regular season and playoffs, but for the most part has reverted to Miami Tannehill in these moments. He's had moments to prove we're better served in wrapping the offense around him, and he's crumbled. 

So you tell me, why would the Titans change their style? Why would Tannehill want it changed? 

This team has had Vince Young, Jake Locker, and Marcus Mariota at QB before Ryan Tannehill and in each instance, fans LIKE YOU have accused the Titans of holding back the pass attack with running while ignoring the fact that the QBs were simply SHIT and our RBs were all-pro.

While Tannehill is far from shit, he's obviously not a QB that can carry you. He's had chances in the regular season and playoffs and he simply can't build momentum. 

I'm sure you were one of the same fans that when Mariota had a successful season under Mularkey, immediately believed he was handcuffed by the same offense that helped him break out. 

Don't make that mistake again. 

Big, you can dig into history as much as you'd like and it doesn't change the fact that Vrabel and J-Rob have had over five years to change the offense and find a QB that can run it and haven't even tried to. They WANT to play this style of offense; they're not forced into it by Tannehill's limitations or whatever other nonsense you believe. For someone that accuses people of being too attached to Tannehill, you sure do your best to attribute everything you can to him. For you all roads lead back to Tannehill but no, it's others that are too attached. Right...

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

I'm fine with that stuff in the offseason but now there is football back and these sidebars are clogging up the best current thread about training camp.  I've had big, logicals and all the trolls on ignore since the beginning of training camp.  Really cuts down on the trash posts so I can read the content that is actually worthwhile without wasting my time on emotional drivel.  

Tabloid season is over.  

Alright. I'll dead it.

38 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Big, you can dig into history as much as you'd like and it doesn't change the fact that Vrabel and J-Rob have had over five years to change the offense and find a QB that can run it and haven't even tried to. They WANT to play this style of offense; they're not forced into it by Tannehill's limitations or whatever other nonsense you believe. For someone that accuses people of being too attached to Tannehill, you sure do your best to attribute everything you can to him. For you all roads lead back to Tannehill but no, it's others that are too attached. Right...

What gives them ANY indication to change this offense? Please tell me, especially after last year when we lost Derrick Henry. I repeatedly said that was his chance to shine, and he couldn't do it. 

I'm seeing a QB that struggles without big plays from the run and can't escape if his pass blocking is subpar. 

He's good enough for this offense. It's not easy to find a QB to do what Tannehill does. So again, you take this distinction too personally. 

Everyone wants their QB to be the star. Ours is not. Accept his limitations but enjoy his strengths.

We have Kirk Cousins not Tom Brady. Everyone knows this except ... shocker ... Titans fans.

And I only come on this forum occasionally right now. So please don't try to pin these discussions on me. There have been pages for over a month without me and you're very much part of it. 

You want Tannehill to be a star, and you want the league to recognize him. It's a classic fanboy attitude. 

Our QB can't just be solid or good. He has to be great if "our staff just did this and this ..." it's so cliche. 

Edited by big2033

29 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

That's the thing, I wish/hope the Titans would be more balanced on conflicted downs but the offensive style is great. Lining up big with a power running game combined with big shots down field is lethal. It protects the QB, it forces defenses to line up to stop the run and when you get a lead you can run a team into the ground. 

I expect the offense to be more balanced on conflicted downs this season and I also think they are going to throw the ball deep way more, they've done it a lot in training camp 

If the OL can protect Tannehill more reliably and the receivers can actually pose some sort of threat this year then the O should be far more effective. It’s really incredible what they were able to get away with last year with such USFL-level talent starting. 

Edited by Starkiller

@Mythos27 is destroying big and big’s blind ass can’t even see it. 

In the NFL, you’ve gotta find balance. The teams that just throw all over the yard are gonna have trouble if they can’t run the ball. It doesn’t matter who is behind center if you don’t have balance. Tannehill is really fucking good and this idea he is holding the Titans back is so stupid. Especially given his contract and everything else. 

It looks like the offense has the potential to be devastating. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.