JRob Q&A on the OTP

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wide ranging spectrum of questions and topics JRob addressed on this weeks episode of the OTP.   - Touched on just how bad things really were when he first took over   - How his jo

Robinson talked about the TE offense, it's pretty clear they plan on playing a lot more 12 and 13 personnel than last year. There hasn't been enough talk about the upgrade at TE. 

What cracks me up is people constantly getting upset about the national media coverage and predictions.  News flash - a rather large percentage of these people are complete morons and are consistently

It’s hard to put a lot of resources into TE after he started with Walker and drafted Smith in the 3rd who turned into one of the leagues top TE’s and was dominant in his role as a starter here. He didn’t have to pour resources into it with a solidified starter in Smith for 3 years and quality backups in Stocker, Firkser, Swaim. Last year we couldn’t take a TE high with missing on Wilson and the need for another RT and pass rushers and CB’s

this year he prioritized TE by signing Hooper and drafting Chig who is a Jonnu clone

what I am surprised about is Robinson took Burks over a stud OT in Penning who also reminds me a ton of Lewan. 

I think drafting Burks over Penning at 18 is going to haunt us especially when we could’ve drafted a WR such as David Bell in the 3rd who will probably be a much better pro than Burks (and also Bell reminds me of Keenan Allen)

8 minutes ago, headhunter said:

I'm really surprised about Theo Jackson. We should be better overall compared to last year I just hope we get big plays on offense

He played really well at UT last year, but he was kind of a 1 year wonder. You just have to hope it was that he matured or even just finally found a role that suited him perfectly (that translates to the NFL) and it wasn’t just a mirage. 

8 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

He played really well at UT last year, but he was kind of a 1 year wonder. You just have to hope it was that he matured or even just finally found a role that suited him perfectly (that translates to the NFL) and it wasn’t just a mirage. 

Did he play all over the field or played at one spot? 

9 hours ago, kyle021 said:

It’s hard to put a lot of resources into TE after he started with Walker and drafted Smith in the 3rd who turned into one of the leagues top TE’s and was dominant in his role as a starter here. He didn’t have to pour resources into it with a solidified starter in Smith for 3 years and quality backups in Stocker, Firkser, Swaim. Last year we couldn’t take a TE high with missing on Wilson and the need for another RT and pass rushers and CB’s

this year he prioritized TE by signing Hooper and drafting Chig who is a Jonnu clone

what I am surprised about is Robinson took Burks over a stud OT in Penning who also reminds me a ton of Lewan. 

I think drafting Burks over Penning at 18 is going to haunt us especially when we could’ve drafted a WR such as David Bell in the 3rd who will probably be a much better pro than Burks (and also Bell reminds me of Keenan Allen)

Agree that Walker and Jonnu were great\good for most of his texture here. It was obvious that he planned on taking a TE 2 drafts ago along with a WR and got outfoxed by not trading up to get his guys.

As a D-Back at UT, Jackson faced a lot of adversity with all the coaching staff changes and scheme changes during his 5 years there. He even had some starts at safety. I would imagine  it really helped him to adjust to the pro game by being more flexible as to his position in the defense. He improved each year. He's always around the ball. I believe he'll be one of the best picks out of this years draft.

https://utsports.com/sports/football/roster/theo-jackson/13342

Edited by freakingeek

Sounds like they are planning on playing some small ball by using the TE's.  They signed Hooper and picked Chig, who looks like he's a player.  That's takes the stress off Tanny giving him more options to keep defenses guessing.  

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Robinson talked about the TE offense, it's pretty clear they plan on playing a lot more 12 and 13 personnel than last year. There hasn't been enough talk about the upgrade at TE. 

If they want a more unpredictable, run/PA based offense then they certainly want TEs who can threaten defenses both as a blocker and a receiver. Last year they had no one who could do that. This year they have Hooper at least. And hopefully Chig will fit the bill as a rookie. 

Also, for what it’s worth, Tory Carter fits there as a FB. He was better than Blasingame last year so presumably we can count this as another upgrade. We just have to see if Carter will get used as a receiver out of the backfield like they used Blas in the play action.

16 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

And hopefully Chig will fit the bill as a rookie. 

Chig has excellent hands, he'll probably get checked for stick-em.  I expect a few explosive plays from him as well a lot of chain moving catches.  I see the offense moving away from Henry/the run and pounding D's with the other weapons on the team.  Still physical-but attacking a little differently.  The lack of pass-catching options got us bad in the playoffs.

It's fun watching Henry run all over teams, but we just saw what happens if your offense is too dependent on him.  Let Henry be more of a closer, who can still bust one to demolish any hopes a team has of getting back in the game.

4 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Chig has excellent hands, he'll probably get checked for stick-em.  I expect a few explosive plays from him as well a lot of chain moving catches.

I like his upside, I just question how ready he will be to contribute as a rookie

11 hours ago, kyle021 said:

Great points on the TE.