Dynasties of Heartbreak - Football Outsiders

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sigh.  I know it's been 30 years or so but reading that blurb on the 90s Oilers and their playoff disasters STILL hurts.

The 2003 Titans team when completely healthy was the best team in franchise history 

Posted Images

On 6/25/2022 at 6:56 PM, japan said:

Silverdome lasted 26 years which is what they project Nissan Stadium to last. Kingdome lasted 24 years. These were of a different era but still comparable. 

Kind of apples and oranges because those were built when multipurpose stadiums were the rage and then it shifted the other way - baseball only,  basketball only, etc. 

Stop pretending the stadium was not supposed to have a much longer shelf life.  They were all going to down the massive reno path until the costs exploded as contractors revealed just how shoddily built Hee Haw Stadium was done.

1 hour ago, BudsOilers said:

Kind of apples and oranges because those were built when multipurpose stadiums were the rage and then it shifted the other way - baseball only,  basketball only, etc. 

Stop pretending the stadium was not supposed to have a much longer shelf life.  They were all going to down the massive reno path until the costs exploded as contractors revealed just how shoddily built Hee Haw Stadium was done.

Ha ha.  You said no other stadiums had a similar shelf life.  Georgia Dome is definitely apples to apples and the other two are from the previous era but similar.

Just now, japan said:

Ha ha.  You said no other stadiums had a similar shelf life.  Georgia Dome is definitely apples to apples and the other two are from the previous era but similar.

Fair enough.  I'll give you the Georgia Dome albeit it's pertinent to note that private financing covered 86% of funding to build Mercedes Benz Stadium.  Replacing the Georgia Dome which had been with 100% public funds.  Bottom line is the Falcons wanted a brand new stadium and paid for it - the new luxury boxes and managing the facility through a shell company means they make more money than with the prior lease too.  Not to mention it keeps the city in the cycle for the SB and other major sporting events.

The difference is that the facility itself was fine.  Big difference from Hee Haw Stadium where it's not feasible to renovate.  Hence the massive pivot to a new stadium build.

1 hour ago, BudsOilers said:

Fair enough.  I'll give you the Georgia Dome albeit it's pertinent to note that private financing covered 86% of funding to build Mercedes Benz Stadium.  Replacing the Georgia Dome which had been with 100% public funds.  Bottom line is the Falcons wanted a brand new stadium and paid for it - the new luxury boxes and managing the facility through a shell company means they make more money than with the prior lease too.  Not to mention it keeps the city in the cycle for the SB and other major sporting events.

The difference is that the facility itself was fine.  Big difference from Hee Haw Stadium where it's not feasible to renovate.  Hence the massive pivot to a new stadium build.

Yeah, I'm not really arguing with you.  Nissan stadium was definitely built on the cheap for speed and to lessen the impact to tax payers.  As for the new stadium, I think it get's done.  One can argue that the arrival of NFL football to Nashville was one of the catalysts for the growth and success that is Nashville today.  I think the city and state recognize this (for the most part) and will get something done.

On 6/23/2022 at 7:56 PM, titaninpgh said:

i wish that were real because it's hillarious. ... especially the bit about morten andersson being the center of atl hip hop during it's prime