Jan 6th Hearings

reo

21 minutes ago, begooode said:

Promoting mentalities/tactics that further divides the country, especially by playing to people's fears is just rationalizing short-sighted and derivative thinking, imo.

Election deniers are bad people mostly acting in bad faith.  Capitol riot supporters are bad people mostly acting in bad faith.  Authoritarian enablers/cultish followers are bad people mostly acting in bad faith.  Funding any of these people, allowing them even more of a platform to influence others,  is acting against their morals with "ends justifies the means" mentality that can go very wrong with unintended collateral damage, imo.

“Mainstream” Republicans are what’s wrong with this country right now. Dems need to do whatever it takes to hold the House.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Biden isn't the head of a cult that attempted to overturn a democratically-held election to keep their power structure and bruised egos intact.

Someone help me understand this:   For the past 2+ years, Republicans have been pounding the table and screaming at the top of their lungs about a stolen election, election fraud, fake/fraud

Long story ...   There was a sales rep I used to work with (who had a hilarious falling out with the company which basically showed he didn't know our product and would sell his other produc

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

“Mainstream” Republicans are what’s wrong with this country right now. Dems need to do whatever it takes to hold the House.

lol. What’s wrong with the country is a nebulous pivot to something grandiose (and certainly subjective) when my comment was very focused on a plainly hypocritical election tactic.

I would argue that one of the biggest things wrong with the country right now is hyperpartisanship. Yet you’re all for shitty tactics that would amplify that: “whatever it takes to hold the house”, “must maintain control”. MAGAts vs Pedos!!  No thanks.

Also, you’ve shifted my comment to infer ‘mainstream repubs ARE the problem, therefore…’  This again is a short sighted platitude. My comment centered around a specific repub who stood up to the bullies in his party, impeached Trump and told his angry constituents why. Applaud the guy or at least leave him alone.

For the Dems to then essentially completely fund his MAGAdrenched primary opponent so that they HOPEFULLY win the general is more than just shitty politics. It’s potentially dangerous to fund conspiracy addled political candidates.  Bad people who say bad things should be treated badly. Simple and no risky political rationalizations needed. Also easier to avoid the hypocrisy! “both sides do it” nihilistic label when it’s simply avoided in the first place.

Lastly, many will tune out when they hear the “protect democracy!!” battle cry only to find out the Dems are funding these same clowns and implicitly supporting their platform to potentially influence others with their rhetoric. ‘do whatever it takes’ mindset can often get out of control with undesirable consequences.

With all due respect, this comes off as a bit pollyannaish.  It would be nice to live in a world where the Dems don’t have to resort to bare knuckle politics, but when the other side is beating you about the head with a tire iron you can’t just play by the rules and expect to win.

The Dems need every seat they can possibly win. What good is protecting a “mainstream” Republican if that’s the difference between passing legislation to restore abortion rights or fighting poverty or fighting climate change or supporting voting rights or whatever other issue needs to be fought for. It’s not all about MAGA types, the mainstream GOP has been undercutting these issues for decades long before Trump came along. 

Further, if all it takes to get Republican voters to pick the MAGA types is to run ads saying that they are “more conservative” or “pro-Trump” then the problem is not about Democrats. It’s that the Republican voters are picking the MAGAts over “mainstream”, less Trumpy candidates. 

I'm all for getting back to a world where politics can just be normal again. But for now, Dems are trying to beat back a wildfire threatening to burn half the country. They have no choice but to fight fire with fire. And if that’s the only way to bring the GOP back into some semblance of sanity then so be it.

Rationalists love to tell everyone how they’re the realists, they really wanted to play fair, etc etc. The other guys brought the gun to the knife fight. It’s about something bigger than x,y,z…. Go to any SEC football politics board to hear all these same rationalizations from Trumpers — mostly based on bs, but the same mentality. 

Yeah, with all due respect you’re mixing a lot of your preferred politics with the existential threat trumpism represents. Promoting election deniers is not good for democracy. Full fucking stop.  Promoting the Christian Nationalist (the guy in PA) to poison brains and scare irrational people with unfounded fears for another 3 months is not good for our country. This is not difficult stuff, avoiding stupid rationalization games.

And of course, there are legitimate risks that these crazy candidates can win. Whoops. Like we haven’t seen that happen before. And yes, if that happens these clowns are much much worse for the good governance of our country.  But it’s all about that horse race, and potential collateral damage is fine, cuz repubs.

and it’s seemingly indicative of your mindset to label something as pollyannish when all I am doing is calling out that a GOPer who DID the right thing was targeted by BOTH parties in his primary, and the Dems outspent his candidate. Just admit that it’s wrong and move on. Instead you promote this kind of divisive political culture to advance your binary (us/them) politics. Trumpism is currently the nation’s biggest problem, imo. Promoting it in any way contributes to it. Those aggrieved crazies don’t just disappear after election night.

Yay, winning! We saved you from those evil repubs! Just say thank you and Don’t ask how…. 

Edited by begooode

11 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I think I'm at the point of saying fuck it, who cares about the political fallout. Identify and prosecute these traitorous bastards. If the GOP Co times to win elections so be it.

Exactly......

Same thing applies to trying to help Trumpers win the Republican primaries. If it backfires we were fucked anyway

An off-duty Virginia police officer who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, with a fellow officer was sentenced Thursday to more than seven years in prison, matching the longest prison sentence so far among hundreds of Capitol riot cases.

Former Rocky Mount Police Sgt. Thomas Robertson declined to address the court before U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper sentenced him to seven years and three months in prison. Cooper also sentenced Robertson to three years of supervised release after his prison term.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/11/former-officer-jan-6-00051343