Marion Barber dead at 38

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recall watching a Cowboys game and after a particularly tough-ass, head first 6 yard gain, hearing Aikman (paraphrasing): ‘watching Barber run the ball is special, but I worry about his life after t

Barber ended up taking a little too much off the top....

My favourite kind

On 6/1/2022 at 8:08 PM, IsntLifeFunny said:

I don’t usually jump into the fray…but an apartment he was leasing after a 7 year career and second contract in the NFL? LOL! 

It's absolutely insane how some of these guys make millions and don't even attempt to live on a certain budget or save some money for after their career is done.

I'd budget myself might do a few nice things but also hold a certain amount each time i'm paid.

Some are smart though i saw an article about how certain players invest and due to investing Tom Brady is about to be a billionaire even though he took less on some of his football contracts he still made plenty anyway.

5 minutes ago, MIKE75 said:

It's absolutely insane how some of these guys make millions and don't even attempt to live on a certain budget or save some money for after their career is done.

I'd budget myself might do a few nice things but also hold a certain amount each time i'm paid.

Some are smart though i saw an article about how certain players invest and due to investing Tom Brady is about to be a billionaire even though he took less on some of his football contracts he still made plenty anyway.

To be fair financial literacy is a big deal.  Some of these players can't tell the difference between investing in family and investing in Vanguard.  And hell, recently Vanguard screwed everyone who invested in their target date funds outside of a 401k.

Former players got to teach rookies more than having a fall guy aka "lewis got the weed"

5 hours ago, MIKE75 said:

Well they come from the streets and haven't been taught that. They are just spending to hold that superficial status. 

5 hours ago, HammerOfTheHeathens said:

To be fair financial literacy is a big deal.  Some of these players can't tell the difference between investing in family and investing in Vanguard.  And hell, recently Vanguard screwed everyone who invested in their target date funds outside of a 401k.

Former players got to teach rookies more than having a fall guy aka "lewis got the weed"

Vanguard did what now? Do you mean because of stock decline? They can't control that. But I probably missed some other story. I agree with you, overall, though. The rookie orientation DOES include a section on financial literacy but the truth is that trying to teach 20 year olds how to completely change their world view can't be done in a day or two.

2 hours ago, Alcibiades said:

Vanguard did what now? Do you mean because of stock decline? They can't control that. But I probably missed some other story. I agree with you, overall, though. The rookie orientation DOES include a section on financial literacy but the truth is that trying to teach 20 year olds how to completely change their world view can't be done in a day or two.

Vanguard lowered minimums for their institutional funds, triggering liquidation of the retail funds, leading to rebalancing, leading to increased tax bills for investors who held such funds outside of tax free retirement accounts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/25/business/taxes-vanguard-investment-funds.html

Interesting. I did miss that story, probably because my Vanguard is an IRA and thus wasn't effected. Seems like a very specific sub-set of customers, but still very annoying for them, for sure. 

1 hour ago, Alcibiades said:

Interesting. I did miss that story, probably because my Vanguard is an IRA and thus wasn't effected. Seems like a very specific sub-set of customers, but still very annoying for them, for sure. 

How it screwed the retail investor got coverage as a surprising compromise of Vanguard's values.

Yeah, I can see that. Thanks again.

As for Barber, the guy ran like he didn't care about his health. A lot of fans value that, but the cost....the cost is very high. Losing my mind is one of my biggest fears (and I know I'm not alone in that). I can't imagine having CTE at such a young age and knowing that the rest of your life is only going to be worse....

6 hours ago, Alcibiades said:

Yeah, I can see that. Thanks again.

As for Barber, the guy ran like he didn't care about his health. A lot of fans value that, but the cost....the cost is very high. Losing my mind is one of my biggest fears (and I know I'm not alone in that). I can't imagine having CTE at such a young age and knowing that the rest of your life is only going to be worse....

Maybe he didn't know

He just killed himself for fun?  I mean, yeah, who knows if he was thinking long term or whatever, but reports are that he was dealing with CTE, and that this is why he killed himself. 

• 1 month later...