Report: Titans Open to extending Henry’s Contract

35 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

You’re a knowledgeable poster, but your kryptonite seems to be your opinion of Henry. It seems to be the only time you really go into homer mode. 

I think they are putting an emphasis on the shelf life of RBs and you are overlooking it because Henry is a freak. I think both sides have cases. 

How am I overlooking it when I've said from the beginning it's possible that he declines this year? You guys are arguing as if I'm saying that there is no possible way Henry will decline this season and may never, ever decline. What we're disagreeing on is how probable his rapid decline this year is. I'm a homer because I think it's less probable than you? That makes no sense from people who claim they're only suggesting he may be in decline. How are people implying they're unsure he's in decline while at the same time flat out saying that the only way someone can think he isn't in decline is that they're just a delusional homer? Seems to me you must feel much more strongly than "may be" to feel that way about someone else's disagreement. Also, what happens if Henry has a bounce-back season? Am I still a homer or were people just being hyperbolic? How quickly will people here deny they ever said he was about to fall off and instead present themselves as being right all along? 

And for the record, I don't say what I say about Henry and value my own opinion more than what most here say because I'm a huge Henry homer; I do it because I trust my analysis of Henry more than I do anyone else on this board and given how right I've been on him from the start, I feel very comfortable with that. The board consensus isn't always right. 

Edited by Mythos27

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Almost your entire post is lifted from this article. I don't post a lot here, but I just had to point out that you're attempting to pass off this article's words as your own LOL. https://touchdownwire

Watching Henry training up the hill feels like watching some cyborg athlete in the distant future training for Deathball, where the field can randomly tilt.

I'm fascinated by his weight to strength ratio, it's incredible. He's running that hill like he's a 5-9 160lb man and he can do 400 push ups(I can do over 100 and I'm 70lbs less than him with great si

Posted Images

It may or may not happen, but I do get the feeling that Fowler is consistently being fed by Henry's agent. 

I could see a short term extension to bring his cap number down. 

As far as production, I see no reason to believe he won't be more productive this season than last season given his snap by snap production drop last year in the new offense and the injury. But after that it's a crapshoot. 

Any new contract would extend some guaranteed money into next year and nothing else. Free up some cap space this year then give him some guaranteed money next year where he could still be a potential cut if it doesn’t work this year but leaving us with dead cap hits. 

@Mythos27 I think most people in this discussion believe he's already in decline and that was before injury due to the massive workload he was getting.  Certainly the 2021 metrics that measure RB effectiveness were dramatically lower for Henry than in late 2018, 2019, and 2020.  Add in the injury issue, which of course goes along with the 370 curse history, and yes it's perfectly reasonable to have concerns that 2021 was the tip of the iceberg.

Where you get flak is this adamant stance that he didn't decline last year, where there's a bunch of evidence that he did.  Not to 2001 Eddie George levels mind you but enough to where Foreman and Hilliard were able to have similar production being signed off the street. 

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

Henry has only had one injury, albeit a big one. AJ has a a history of repeated injuries in both knees and has already had knee surgery. At AJ's age, Henry hadn't missed a single game. I think they see AJ developing into a injury prone player whereas they see Henry's injury as a one off. 

I agree with that.  The problem is looking at all of the running backs who have had the mileage that Henry has had thus far, how many continued to produce at a high level?

And, much has been written on this board about his decline in effectiveness over the last two years.

I just don't know why you wouldn't at least let him get through this season and see how he comes back from the injury.

3 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

@Mythos27 I think most people in this discussion believe he's already in decline and that was before injury due to the massive workload he was getting.  Certainly the 2021 metrics that measure RB effectiveness were dramatically lower for Henry than in late 2018, 2019, and 2020.  Add in the injury issue, which of course goes along with the 370 curse history, and yes it's perfectly reasonable to have concerns that 2021 was the tip of the iceberg.

Where you get flak is this adamant stance that he didn't decline last year, where there's a bunch of evidence that he did.  Not to 2001 Eddie George levels mind you but enough to where Foreman and Hilliard were able to have similar production being signed off the street. 

I have no problem admitting that his efficiency metrics fell off last year. Where I disagree is that I don't believe the statistical decline was because he was a worse player but rather because the circumstances around him were worse. It's the exact same reason I expect Tannehill to bounce back as long as the OL is decent and the receivers are healthy. Somehow that argument is the board approved stance for Tannehill but when I apply it to Henry, I'm a homer. We had to run less TE heavy sets because the TE blocking was so god-awful. How many times didn't Henry have a change to get the edge but instead got wrapped up in the backfield because Swaim blew his block? Stuff like that doesn't make the stat-sheet.

As I said before, the metrics are the metrics. I don't cast doubt on their validity, I just don't agree with the conclusions people are coming to from interpreting those statistics. The way I see it, RBs in decline don't post their fastest mph ever, nor do they truck defensive MVPs like Leonard in the open field. We'll find out this year if the statistical decline was due to Henry himself being washed. If people were showing me actual examples of Henry failing to make a plays because he physically couldn't I would feel differently. It's not like the guy was getting caught from behind on breakaway runs. When that starts happening Ill be the first to say Henry is washed up. 

6 minutes ago, dcblanton said:

I agree with that.  The problem is looking at all of the running backs who have had the mileage that Henry has had thus far, how many continued to produce at a high level?

And, much has been written on this board about his decline in effectiveness over the last two years.

I just don't know why you wouldn't at least let him get through this season and see how he comes back from the injury.

I don't disagree. The injury is still a major factor that we won't know about until he can carry his usual load for like half a season. I find the extension talk to be just as unnecessary as everyone else. I'm just saying that if the Titans, who see him every day, really thought he was on the verge of breaking down this thread wouldn't exist. They seem to believe Henry will be productive and available for the next couple of years. Yes, history of the RB position is against them but whether they're right remains to be seen. After the foot injury I'm not as convinced he's a health anomaly anymore but the Titans at least seem to think so. I think most of us hope they're right. 

41 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I have no problem admitting that his efficiency metrics fell off last year. Where I disagree is that I don't believe the statistical decline was because he was a worse player but rather because the circumstances around him were worse. It's the exact same reason I expect Tannehill to bounce back as long as the OL is decent and the receivers are healthy. Somehow that argument is the board approved stance for Tannehill but when I apply it to Henry, I'm a homer. We had to run less TE heavy sets because the TE blocking was so god-awful. How many times didn't Henry have a change to get the edge but instead got wrapped up in the backfield because Swaim blew his block? Stuff like that doesn't make the stat-sheet.

As I said before, the metrics are the metrics. I don't cast doubt on their validity, I just don't agree with the conclusions people are coming to from interpreting those statistics. The way I see it, RBs in decline don't post their fastest mph ever, nor do they truck defensive MVPs like Leonard in the open field. We'll find out this year if the statistical decline was due to Henry himself being washed. If people were showing me actual examples of Henry failing to make a plays because he physically couldn't I would feel differently. It's not like the guy was getting caught from behind on breakaway runs. When that starts happening Ill be the first to say Henry is washed up. 

Washed is hyperbole.  I have not seen anyone claim that.  The issue is more going from elite production to OK production. Basically the story of the backs that suffered from the 370 rule. 

The broken tackle rate, RYOE, and YBC are the ones where there's legit concern and they really don't fly with the surrounding talent argument.  The run blocking was not bottom of the league in rankings like the pass blocking was.  Add in the Foreman/Hilliard comparable production fact.  Comparing it to the issues within the passing game (blocking, TE play, WR injuries and quality of depth) and Tannehill is a false equivalency, hence why it's dismissed by the well informed.

35 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

If they do anything that makes it harder to cut him after this season than it currently is, they're retarded

It would be the dumbest thing Quiver Chins has done since extending Delanie Walker prior to 2018.

1 hour ago, IrishTitansFan said:

If they do anything that makes it harder to cut him after this season than it currently is, they're retarded

Unless he takes a total nosedive, seems unlikely they’d cut him after this season. 

If they do anything to alter his cap number it is to get another player under contract, likely a WR

and given how affordable his contract is and his skill set, JRob should be calling Seattle about Tyler Lockett every single day until they break

Edited by AvgJoe

If anyone wants to see BudsOilers get exposed for being a total biased Henry hater.

Have a look at this thread, where I embarras him with FACTUAL FACTS.

PURE COMEDY!

Edited by AJClown

19 minutes ago, AvgJoe said:

If they do anything to alter his cap number it is to get another player under contract, likely a WR

I think it might be an OL given how inexpensive and cheap the current FA WR group is.   Outside of OBJ no one is really going to require significant cap space.