Report: Titans Open to extending Henry’s Contract

2ToneTerror

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Almost your entire post is lifted from this article. I don't post a lot here, but I just had to point out that you're attempting to pass off this article's words as your own LOL. https://touchdownwire

Watching Henry training up the hill feels like watching some cyborg athlete in the distant future training for Deathball, where the field can randomly tilt.

The agility and explosion Henry has running that hill is amazing at his size. I run a hill and know first hand how impressive this is

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

What it does say is that the Titans don't expect him to just fall off cliff like many have been saying.

Well, considering their recent history with depending on players to be healthy, Clowney and Julio Jones exhibits "A" and "B".  That is no guarantee whatsoever.

13 minutes ago, dcblanton said:

Well, considering their recent history with depending on players to be healthy, Clowney and Julio Jones exhibits "A" and "B".  That is no guarantee whatsoever.

Health is the ever-present elephant in the room. You'll get no push-back from me on that. 

Man, the Titans just don't seem to learn from their mistakes.  They restructured Tannehill's contract last year and now he has the highest cap hit for 2022 of any player, and it made him uncuttable this year even if the Titans wanted to move on.  Even next year will incur a pretty sizable dead cap hit.

They extended Julio Jones after trading for him coming off an injury plagued season and that is now an albatross around their neck.

Now, they are going to extend a player that didn't make it halfway through his last extension without missing more than half a season?

Henry is a potential HOF back playing in the wrong ERA.  But, the Titans need to build for a Championship in 2022, not 1982.  That means you don't overpay running backs.  Especially overused running backs with more mileage than any other back in the league over the last four years that just missed 10 games due to an injury.

My only thought is they are trying to go all in on this year, and maybe next year before they turn the reigns over to Willis.  But, if that was the case, why not just pay AJ Brown?  He missed time too, but is younger and plays a premium position.

6 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Health is the ever-present elephant in the room. You'll get no push-back from me on that. 

I don't understand, honestly.  Especially with Vrabel having so much experience with Bellichick.  You would think availability would be huge with him.

2 hours ago, oldschool said:

lol. Who said they expect it to happen? All I've seen is people saying its a very real possibility. They are not one and the same.

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

The only question is did it happen last year or can he rebound and delay it happening.

He'll have to be an extreme outlier for it not to have already started or about to happen. 

I guess this is where I ask, is OMAN not saying he expects it to happen? He's literally saying it already happened lol.

Well the thing to remember here is that this is an ESPN reporter throwing out "wild card" possibilities for extensions.  His list there was Henry, Hunter Renfrow, GB RT Elgton Jenjkins, "A Buffalo player to be named later" and Baker Mayfield.  

Of note Simmons was on his main list. 

image.png.6671c4cb1888c2d03b2b96c035b554ae.png

6 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I guess this is where I ask, is OMAN not saying he expects it to happen? He's literally saying it already happened lol.

He's clearly saying his season will tell the story of whether 2021 was a down year aberration or whether it was true decline.  As well as pointed out the well discussed ugly history of RB's after massive workloads and hitting their late 20's.

27 minutes ago, dcblanton said:

Man, the Titans just don't seem to learn from their mistakes.  They restructured Tannehill's contract last year and now he has the highest cap hit for 2022 of any player, and it made him uncuttable this year even if the Titans wanted to move on.  Even next year will incur a pretty sizable dead cap hit.

They extended Julio Jones after trading for him coming off an injury plagued season and that is now an albatross around their neck.

Now, they are going to extend a player that didn't make it halfway through his last extension without missing more than half a season?

Henry is a potential HOF back playing in the wrong ERA.  But, the Titans need to build for a Championship in 2022, not 1982.  That means you don't overpay running backs.  Especially overused running backs with more mileage than any other back in the league over the last four years that just missed 10 games due to an injury.

My only thought is they are trying to go all in on this year, and maybe next year before they turn the reigns over to Willis.  But, if that was the case, why not just pay AJ Brown?  He missed time too, but is younger and plays a premium position.

Henry has only had one injury, albeit a big one. AJ has a a history of repeated injuries in both knees and has already had knee surgery. At AJ's age, Henry hadn't missed a single game. I think they see AJ developing into a injury prone player whereas they see Henry's injury as a one off. 

Edited by Mythos27

36 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

The argument seems to be "Henry definitely started to decline last year and if you can't see that you're a homer" but at the same time "How dare you say I'm saying he will fall off this season". As usual, it's all about trying to "be right" or preserve the ability to save face in the case it turns out they're wrong. That said, Oman and Bud aren't exactly being unreasonable. Henry beginning to decline this season is a possibility. The rub is how much of a probability does one give it and whether or not one believes the decline already started prior to the injury last year. I can see reasonable people disagreeing on those subjects. 

Edited by Mythos27

27 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

He's clearly saying his season will tell the story of whether 2021 was a down year aberration or whether it was true decline.  As well as pointed out the well discussed ugly history of RB's after massive workloads and hitting their late 20's.

Yeah, so given the facts you just laid out, are you saying you think it's more likely Henry returns to form this year? I don't think that's what you and OMAN are saying. 

14 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

The argument seems to be "Henry definitely started to decline last year and if you can't see that you're a homer" but at the same time "How dare you say I'm saying he will fall off this season". As usual, it's all about trying to "be right" or preserve the ability to save face in the case it turns out they're wrong. That said, Oman and Bud aren't exactly being unreasonable. 

You’re a knowledgeable poster, but your kryptonite seems to be your opinion of Henry. It seems to be the only time you really go into homer mode. 

I think they are putting an emphasis on the shelf life of RBs and you are overlooking it because Henry is a freak. I think both sides have cases. 

I think it's unlikely Henry comes back to late 2018/2019/2020 form.  Not impossible mind you but unlikely.  My guess would be that he'll be similar to what he was in 2021, which is fine team wise but would make him overpaid.  The big unknown, though, is the recovery from the toe surgery.  If it goes the Eddie George route, it could be ugly.

I will say though that for months, the argument was whether indeed Henry was average last year (as the visual and all of the metrics showed).   The claim was that he was having an historically great season and was exactly the same player.  That seems to have shifted to some level of acknowledgement that he indeed declined some.

History is stacked against Henry.  The 370 rule had literally 1 outlier - Eric Dickerson - and he defied this in year 2 (24 years old), and year 4 (26 years old). 

Henry though has always reminded me some of Dickerson (except with better ball security) so maybe he'll be the next outlier.

Edited by BudsOilers