Is Tannehill Broken? Some say yes.

An overpaid QB already in his feelings.

tannehill seems like he cant take criticism all that well. When he retires he needs to thank the Titans organization of making his play shine. Without our organization he would be in the same position as Marcus Marifloata is currently. Talent wise he isnt that much better.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah...I don't get what people wanted from that presser. I thought it was fine. He clearly knew what kind of questions he was going to get and handled it as well as he could have.  Zero issues

Can we have one star who’s not a pussy who wants to kill themself?

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, oldschool said:

No he doesn't, that's dumb ill informed talk. Tannehill was fantastic in 2019 and 2020 and while he took an obvious step back last year, was still firmly in the tier 2 of QB, top 10-12 overall. You are pushing the same stupid shit others have that Tannehill somehow has to prove he can perform in big games because he had a shitty game game against Cincy.

I’m pissed as hell at how he played against the Bengals but I definitely am not in the category as the fans I’m talking about.  I still think he’s a solid QB that you can win with.  I’m just saying that the reason that threads like this and others exist is because of the reputation he has and the playoff game.

And you know what?  If he goes out this coming season and has a big playoffs and they win or even get to the Super Bowl?  No one will care about the Bengals game.  But as of right now it, the lackluster 2021 regular season at least statistically and the probably unfair reputation are what fans have to go by.

22 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

This face turn has me dying lol

It's the world around me that keeps changing. My opinion has changed only slightly over time. When you think a guy is pretty good but not great and you're surrounded by absolute extremes, you're often the odd one out to either direction.

When the wind was blowing one way, I was a Tannehill champion because I said he was better than Mariota and no praise was acceptable. When the wind blew the other way, I was a Tannehill hater because I said Henry is the MVP and Tannehill was having a down year and no critique was acceptable. With the way the wind blows today, I'm a Tannehill champion again because people are nitpicking like crazy.

Also, calling people stupid and getting them riled up helps to turn one into the bad guy. I admit to that role freely.

55 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Oh please. Tannehill had incredible numbers that put him in the conversation as a top 5 QB that season. The conversation was fine. Doesn't mean anyk e said he was as good as Mahomes or Rodgers career wise, simply that over the stretch of 2019 and 2020 he played near the same level they did over that span.

Reading comprehension my friend. " Titans fans and media were (correctly for a lot of the season) clamouring for him to be the MVP in 2020 until the Green Bay game"

He absolutely deserved to be in the conversation, which was recognised by the local media and fanbase, they weren't pinning it all on Henry

41 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Tannehill has a reputation.  Which he played right into against the Bengals.  When you add up the fact that not only did he cost the team a chance to go to the Super Bowl with the fact that I'd say the overwhelming majority of football fans and media think he's a pretender and JAG, this is what you get.

If you replaced him with probably a dozen or so QBs right now for 2022 the overall feeling around the team would improve drastically.  I'm not saying it's fair or unfair, but the general pessimism that the board has undertaken in the past four months and I'd say the overall fan base too is because of one guy.

What's the reputation? His first playoff game ever was with the Titans, where he has been in this playoff-shell offense the Titans seem to go into come January the whole time.

My only thought was it seems like all the external shit is starting to bother him.  He looked like he had his guard up the minute he walked in.

To be the best u gotta compartmentalize all the non important shit...and focus on the important stuff.

And tannehill has always been good at just saying the right things...feeding them the bullshit right back at em...there was a bit on some talk radio show many years back about the generic responses that athletes and coaches give and tannehill was right up there with the best of em.

Don't fuckin go in there talking real shit....fuck em all...there fucking shit questions aren't real either.

Pointing out facts isn't bias.  Bias is jumping on every little word to create a fake story, when all Tannehill did was speak truth to the media.

The media should be fawning on Tannehill caring about the game, being a competitor, focus on what it takes to be invested, and focusing on his job as defined by his boss's boss.

Instead, the media has amplified a howling that he should hang up his cleats and turn the team over to a gadget QB that every NFL team passed up on 2, even 3 times.

This is why players hate the media.

42 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

This is both true and misses the boat a little bit, I think.

There was a great resistance to accepting him as better than Mariota after the switch. And then he did amazing in 2019 and 2020 and even the Mariota supporters had to come around.

He was then hyped to a great degree by this fan base and there was a lot of objection whenever he wasn't talked about as highly as his stats seemed to support (and his stats supported him being in the elite of elite conversation).

In 2021, he had a down year from basically week one on and his support started to erode, though it was still there and you can even look at this message board where the majority of posters defended him all through the year and looked to instability around him as the explanation for his statistical decline. His goodwill lasted through the season and then the playoff game opened the floodgates.

It went from a situation where I was one of the more outspoken people saying he had taken a step back to now I'm constantly finding myself thinking that his critics are insane and over the top and I, at least, have often thought that it seems like many of those most vocal critics are the same people who were the slowest to accept him when he took over for Mariota. That seems like they reluctantly agreed he's doing well and now they're feverishly back the other way.

I think it's a mix.

I also think, by the way, that BudOilers is hilariously over the top in his defense anytime Tanny is slighted. He's basically turned into the foil of late-stage Mariota defenders at this point, where no criticism is valid and every excuse is offered at all times and nothing is ever really the guy's fault and everything is exaggerated to an absurd degree. The most persecuted quarterback ever? That's funny.

Anyway, you're right and you're wrong and it's all a mix, as far as I'm concerned.

You've written what I'm thinking in a more eloquent way than I expressed! I agree 100%. There was an almost majority of the fanbase who wanted Tannehill to fail because of Mariota in 2019, it flipped in 2020. Fairly or not, Tannehill built his expectations based on how he played in 2019/2020 regular seasons, and that mixed with playoff disappointment is what leads to questions a after a 3 INT game. It's the same for any contending team and not a personal vendetta against Tannehill

Tanny was sent packing to TN for a 4th rd pick after underperforming in Mia.  Forget about Mariota….he deserved every bit of skepticism he got.

he won the job and proved to be what we needed to get over the mediocre hump….he still had doubters but got some of the praise he deserved.  The fanboys went overboard calling him elite and discrediting Henry.  They were correctly bashed at the time and it’s been clearly proven that Tanny is good enough but NOT elite.

I like Tanny but rn he’s on a really bad trajectory.  Of course he’s not technically responsible for mentoring Malik, but this is something a QB and leader should never say.  He’s the highest paid player this year, the QB and leader of this team, who was the main reason we lost to the bengals.  He deserves every hard question he gets.  I’ve got 0 sympathy for how he’s been “treated”.

Edited by VaTitan

What Tannehill is experiencing is what every QB who is not a top 5 QB experiences whenever they have some success in the league. You get too much of the credit and too much blame. 

10 hours ago, BudsOilers said:

I did.  Been telling everyone for years now……

Girlfriend, I know you’re stuck on your ex for leaving you for Tennessee but it’s been over 20 years now! You should be happy for the both of them.

49 minutes ago, OzTitan said:

What's the reputation? His first playoff game ever was with the Titans, where he has been in this playoff-shell offense the Titans seem to go into come January the whole time.

Come on.  The reputation is he can't play big in big moments (i.e. the playoffs).  And in Miami his reputation was he couldn't elevate the team.  And when you throw three interceptions in a home game as the number one seed and lose pretty much directly because of it that's not exactly going to help matters.

10 hours ago, stormi said:

He was on his heels in that Willis presser where he said it's not his job to mentor him.

His mind is gone. I actually do think he's insecure and corrupted mentally.

Corrupt?

10 hours ago, Stan said:

and all those guys are assholes, fitzpatrick mentored and welcomed Tua, says a lot about a man’s character not more so because he’s required to be there for someone but it says a lot about the person who is willing to take their time to be there for younger players. A man leads by example and shows how morally strong you can become, would be nice to have a vet mentor a rookie so he knows how to handle pressure or what he sees in the field on certain plays, how to handle stress of being a QB. Spin this however you want, but take the football

aspect out of it and it becomes a good lesson on life. If i was in Tannehill positions i would more than welcome Willis to the team and provide a guidance that will one day impact him, and in turn that guidance Willis receives for when it’s his time to be the mentor he won’t be saying “No”

Spoiler alert: Most starting college/NFL QB are assholes...