Titans Draft Malik Willis - QB Liberty

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This guy is as raw as a steak on the deli counter but he has elite speed, one of the strongest arms of the last few drafts, and apparently interviews super well.  Perfect guy to take a flier on and gr

Tannehill is about to turn 34 and has 2 years left on his contract. If this kid can develop for a couple of years and they think he’s ready to replace Tannehill in a year or 2 then it’s a huge steal.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Bud posted and I reposted a predraft article from the Oregonian that literally laid out all of Mariota's flaws and they stayed with him through his entire NFL career. Of course all the dullards scoffed at the article and refused to see what was plain as day.  

This is misleading. Assessing weaknesses and shortcomings for a prospect is normal and scouts do a good job there. So of course the failures will likely stem from these for any prospect. The challenge is assessing if they can improve or overcome it

18 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

@Mythos27 these are some of the plays I’m talking about when evaluating QBs after watching Mariota. It isn’t a projection on Willis in the NFL as a prospect more than it is seeing traits that can be developed. Mariota never had the arm talent to make these throws and wouldn’t try them in the first place. 

All that to say I’m not exactly arguing hindsight as much as I am talking about how I see QBs going forward after thinking Mariota could be a legit franchise QB when in reality he didn’t possess the necessary traits. 

Mariota had plenty of wow throws in college.  Not sure what traits you’re referring to. He had plenty of zip when he wanted to, just seemed like he preferred to throw the touch ball and was so terrified of turning the ball over at the NFL that he refused to let it fly. He had terrible pocket awareness and he was too slow seeing the field and he lacked the elite strength to throw the deep pits with consistency. Once defenses figured him out, they flooded the middle of the field, played close and blitzed, knowing he lacked the courage to throw the tough ball consistently. 

Tannehill is the opposite.  He can actually read the field.  He’s so willing to stand in the pocket and take the hit that he torched defenses when they played him this way. Hence why you saw the immediate and incredible turnaround when he took over. 

he still needs to work on his pocket presence though and he’s not an elite pocket QB so much as the right skill set in the right system. 

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

Mariota had plenty of wow throws in college.  Not sure what traits you’re referring to. He had plenty of zip when he wanted to, just seemed like he preferred to throw the touch ball and was so terrified of turning the ball over at the NFL that he refused to let it fly. He had terrible pocket awareness and he was too slow seeing the field and he lacked the elite strength to throw the deep pits with consistency. Once defenses figured him out, they flooded the middle of the field, played close and blitzed, knowing he lacked the courage to throw the tough ball consistently. 

Tannehill is the opposite.  He can actually read the field.  He’s so willing to stand in the pocket and take the hit that he torched defenses when they played him this way. Hence why you saw the immediate and incredible turnaround when he took over. 

he still needs to work on his pocket presence though and he’s not an elite pocket QB so much as the right skill set in the right system. 

The traits of being willing and able to throw into tight coverage on deep passes and outside the hashes. Mariota never showed it in college and never developed it in the NFL. If he was an elite processor he could have hidden the flaws, but as you noted he wasn’t so he sucked. 

19 minutes ago, Number9 said:

What the hell are you going to kill with that?

Thug Life Game GIF by G2A.COM

The Titans Draft Malik Willis - QB Liberty thread!

The Packers just converted a WR they drafted to CB. Maybe we do that with Willis, or make him a 3rd down back.

11 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

The traits of being willing and able to throw into tight coverage on deep passes and outside the hashes. Mariota never showed it in college and never developed it in the NFL. If he was an elite processor he could have hidden the flaws, but as you noted he wasn’t so he sucked. 

I agree that's an important trait but far from the only one that matters and simply having it or not having it doesn't make a great QB.  There have been plenty of QBs who nickel and dimed and had successful careers.  Zach Boogereater loved to throw those tight throws.  He still lost a bunch of games and got bounced from the NFL in short order.  

Most important traits are accuracy/ball placement, pocket awareness, scheme fit, arm strength, athleticism - in that order.  Of course you can have all the traits in the world, if you can't stand in the pocket and take the hit, you'll always be missing a piece.  

1 minute ago, Justafan said:

I agree that's an important trait but far from the only one that matters and simply having it or not having it doesn't make a great QB.  There have been plenty of QBs who nickel and dimed and had successful careers.  Zach Boogereater loved to throw those tight throws.  He still lost a bunch of games and got bounced from the NFL in short order.  

Most important traits are accuracy/ball placement, pocket awareness, scheme fit, arm strength, athleticism - in that order.  Of course you can have all the traits in the world, if you can't stand in the pocket and take the hit, you'll always be missing a piece.  

We aren’t disagreeing. If Mariota was a great processor he could have been a good QB. He wasn’t. When the play broke down he either ran or went into cockroach mode. 

So, back to my original thesis: Willis is a better prospect than Mariota. 

14 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

We aren’t disagreeing. If Mariota was a great processor he could have been a good QB. He wasn’t. When the play broke down he either ran or went into cockroach mode. 

So, back to my original thesis: Willis is a better prospect than Mariota. 

I would say we are disagreeing.  Mariota was a fine prospect.  He had better 'traits' than Willis.  He had far better production against the top competition at the college level.  He was considered a natural leader, an accurate thrower, with elite athleticism.  There were red flags such as poor pocket awareness and not having an elite arm but it's pretty hard to argue that Willis doesn't have even greater red flags in that he's never run a pro offense, has zero pocket awareness (and I mean literally starting from scratch here) and we have no idea about his intangibles at the pro level.  

Willis has the potential to be a better NFL QB than Mariota but only because we don't know what he is yet at this level because he's never been tested.