Energy thread

Rogue

Well, if we've got a Daylight Savings Time thread, might as well have an energy thread.  We're going to be here a while.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/18/climate/global-energy-crisis-conserve.html

The war in Ukraine is setting into motion the first global energy crisis of its kind, and nations around the world should respond by reducing their use of oil and gas, the leader of a key international organization warned on Friday.

The International Energy Agency, which was formed in the wake of the 1973 oil crisis to ensure a stable worldwide energy market, said that the repercussions of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine were likely to intensify over the next several months as summer driving season got underway with inventories at historic lows.

“Reducing demand is a way of addressing the situation without just pumping more oil,” said Fatih Birol, the agency’s executive director.

On Friday, the agency recommended 10 immediate steps that nations could take to conserve oil, such as reducing speed limits, having people work from home up to three days a week and urging travelers to take trains instead of airplanes when possible. The recommended measures also include car-free Sundays in cities, car pooling and reducing fares on public transportation.

If advanced economies put all 10 recommendations into action, they could cut oil demand by 2.7 million barrels a day, the agency found. That’s on par with the estimated 2.5 million barrels a day of Russian oil that is expected to be lost to global markets in the next few months as buyers shun it

This will go over like a fart in church.  It's kind of comical to imagine a US leader asking Americans to conserve. 

Here's the 10 steps

1. Reduce speed limits on highways by at least 10 km/h

2. Work from home up to three days a week where possible

3. Car-free Sundays in cities

4. Make the use of public transport cheaper and incentivise micro-mobility, walking and cycling

5. Alternate private car access to roads in large cities

6. Increase car sharing and adopt practices to reduce fuel use

7. Promote efficient driving for freight trucks and delivery of goods

8. Using high-speed and night trains instead of planes where possible

9. Avoid business air travel where alternative options exist

10. Reinforce the adoption of electric and more efficient vehicles

I think this would be hard for regular Americans to accept, and I imagine Trumpers to flat out do the opposite of each one if ever publicly suggested....if not storm the Capitol.  

We've gotta reduce our reliance on foriegn oil!  We've got to be energy independent!  WAIT, NOT LIKE THAT!!!!  It reminds me of the meme of Kaepernick kneeling with the caption, "Black people should protest peacefully...NO NOT LIKE THAT!!!!" 

Jokes aside, here is the most realistic thing in the NYT article....

Mr. Biden would face a certain backlash if he called for Americans to conserve energy — particularly as the country is emerging from the coronavirus pandemic, said Lee M. Miringoff, director of the Marist College Institute for Public Opinion.

“People are becoming turned off to the whole notion of masks, so the message of personal sacrifice — having to alter their behavior in some way — gets into a freedom discussion that the White House doesn’t want to go near right now,” Dr. Miringoff said.

With midterm elections looming and Republicans already using high gas prices to attack Mr. Biden’s policies, Dr. Miringoff said asking Americans to conserve energy was not a winning strategy.

Pretty much.  

Just deposit energy related issues here.  It's going to be news for a while.  

The work from home situation is the largest it’s ever been in the tech era. I can’t see that expanding much more. 

Cities could do a better job promoting public transportation. They could also in big cities offer some type of tax rebate for car pooling. 

The rest of it is DOA. 

The only of those initiatives that has legs is promoting WFH. I have morphed from 4.5-5 days on site to 0 (peak covid for ~16 months) to 0.5-1.0 ish over the past 3 months with exceptions for 24/7 plant test that I am leading/covering. 

Many white color jobs can stay 3-5 days/week from home with minimal disruption. 

Every day I stay home saves about 2.5 gallons of the E85/87 octane blend I run.  

Edited by ChemEngr79

We're definitely down from the WFH peak and it's going to drop even more as covid becomes normalized. A lot of companies want their workers back in the office.

Edited by Titans279

38 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

A lot of companies want their workers back in the office.

...and a lot of workers are going to say "no thanks, I'll go work somewhere else".

Some will go back to the office, but a substantial percentage will end up staying home. The trend actually started before covid. I've been WFH for about 4 years and doubt I'll ever take a job where I have to go into the office more than 1 day a week. Obviously not every job has that option, but a lot do.

1 hour ago, Titans279 said:

We're definitely down from the WFH peak and it's going to drop even more as covid becomes normalized. A lot of companies want their workers back in the office.

Hey, those useless middle managers gotta look productive somehow!

Looking back, I do miss going to an office some days just because I miss humans somewhat. I was thinking about getting a desk at the coworking place next to my apartment here in the coming weeks potentially. Just something to break up the dull WFH lifestyle every once in a while.  

I get a monthly mineral rights(oil and Natural gas) check for my Grandmother finally kicking off that isn't real big, split too many ways because of these god forsaken family members. The last two months were the biggest ones at about 250.00 a month. Oil was 91.00 a barrel last month, it went up to 130 a barrel but has recently dropped down around 105-110. 

I'm wondering how much it would go up in this war. 

Make no mistake, I'll cash a check over the corpse of a dead Ukrainian for an extra 50.00 or so  

23 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I get a monthly mineral rights(oil and Natural gas) check for my Grandmother finally kicking off that isn't real big, split too many ways because of these god forsaken family members. The last two months were the biggest ones at about 250.00 a month. Oil was 91.00 a barrel last month, it went up to 130 a barrel but has recently dropped down around 105-110. 

I'm wondering how much it would go up in this war. 

Make no mistake, I'll cash a check over the corpse of a dead Ukrainian for an extra 50.00 or so  

I'll choose to take this as you cashing a check over the corpses of thousands of dead invaders.

20 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

The work from home situation is the largest it’s ever been in the tech era. I can’t see that expanding much more. 

Cities could do a better job promoting public transportation. They could also in big cities offer some type of tax rebate for car pooling. 

The rest of it is DOA. 

I am opposed to WFH. I’ve tried it. It’s not for me. I have 2 small kids that distract me at every waking moment. Also my house is supposed to be a refuge from my office; not an extension of my office.