Would you work for minimum wage?

Number9

Would you work for minimum wage?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Would you work for minimum wage?

Tennessee min wage is $7.25.  A 40hr work week nets you $290 per week, minus SS.  Food.  Clothing.  Shelter.  Necessities. 

If I was 30yo again and that was my only source of getting income, I would do it.  I would also get another job.  I would find the cheapest room available to rent/in a safe neighborhood.  I would eat as cheaply as possibly.  I would save as much as I could and try to improve my life surroundings.  But first I would try to understand, this is just what life had to offer for me.  

But I venture to say, very few people are like me. I'm wealthy by America's rating standards.  I'm one of the humans referred to as black.  Every dollar a human who is referred to as white has is 10 times as much wealth as the black humans.  So, I look at what I have accomplished and am thankful that I am rich on American's scale of wealth.  I also understand that if I was a white human, I would be 10 times as rich with the same effort.  So, I realize I'm a bad ass mother...  The skill and talent it took for me to make it playing against a stacked deck is awesome.

But would you take that job?  Have you got it in you to be low person on the income scale?  Would you work 1.5 jobs to earn $450 per week?  What would you have?  TV set.  Ride the bus.  Find a woman who would live like that with you?  Is that the kind of woman you married?  Or would you do what the people in east Kentucky who overwhelming support Senator McConnell do?  They live on welfare.  They use more rx drugs per capita than anywhere else in the country.  Their teeth are rotten and their kids use/deal meth.  They sleep in deserted buildings.

Would you work for minimum wage?  Remember too, companies like Walmart hire workers for less than enough hours to qualify for regular job benefits the leftist have gotten imposed on corporations.  If they need health care, the emergency room is open 24/7.

So, what about you?  Would you work for min wage?

TLDR.  IDGAF  ?  

It would suck, no question. Your quality of life would be very bad by US standards (but very comfortable compared to the vast majority of the world).

I worked in my family's struggling business for a long time at minimum wage. But it was just me, with no dependents. 

Sometimes you just have to put your head down and go to work. 

(In fact, I just worked for the past 3 months cleaning 20 pools a week for no money at all because it's my dad's business and he had a stroke.

So I had to do it for him to keep things afloat. That was in the off hours from my regular job.)

Edited by kgsTitan

I don’t see how there is any other choice.  If that’s all I was qualified to do at the time, then what else are you gonna do?  As long as I’m not unemployable due to being disabled, I’m working for minimum and looking to move up and better my situation.  

Got married and had my daughter very young so at one time I was working three part time jobs(welders helper, laborer in electrical construction, washed cars for a used car lot on weekends) and going to college simultaneously.  Minimum wage was 3.35 at the time.  

I can’t wrap my head around just giving up and relying on someone else/government (barring being truly disabled).  For a myriad number of reasons, I suspect those that end up there don’t have the ability to see success on the other side of hard times.  They stop trying which brings on hopelessness and the drugs are an out for those feelings of despair.  

6 hours ago, smokeater said:

Got married and had my daughter very young so at one time I was working three part time jobs(welders helper, laborer in electrical construction, washed cars for a used car lot on weekends) and going to college simultaneously.  Minimum wage was 3.35 at the time.  

I can’t wrap my head around just giving up and relying on someone else/government (barring being truly disabled).

That is a good story.  It's easy to see you had thoughts of delayed gratification.  

14 hours ago, Number9 said:

Tennessee min wage is $7.25.  A 40hr work week nets you $290 per week, minus SS.  Food.  Clothing.  Shelter.  Necessities. 

If I was 30yo again and that was my only source of getting income, I would do it.  I would also get another job.  I would find the cheapest room available to rent/in a safe neighborhood.  I would eat as cheaply as possibly.  I would save as much as I could and try to improve my life surroundings.  But first I would try to understand, this is just what life had to offer for me.  

But I venture to say, very few people are like me. I'm wealthy by America's rating standards.  I'm one of the humans referred to as black.  Every dollar a human who is referred to as white has is 10 times as much wealth as the black humans.  So, I look at what I have accomplished and am thankful that I am rich on American's scale of wealth.  I also understand that if I was a white human, I would be 10 times as rich with the same effort.  So, I realize I'm a bad ass mother...  The skill and talent it took for me to make it playing against a stacked deck is awesome.

But would you take that job?  Have you got it in you to be low person on the income scale?  Would you work 1.5 jobs to earn $450 per week?  What would you have?  TV set.  Ride the bus.  Find a woman who would live like that with you?  Is that the kind of woman you married?  Or would you do what the people in east Kentucky who overwhelming support Senator McConnell do?  They live on welfare.  They use more rx drugs per capita than anywhere else in the country.  Their teeth are rotten and their kids use/deal meth.  They sleep in deserted buildings.

Would you work for minimum wage?  Remember too, companies like Walmart hire workers for less than enough hours to qualify for regular job benefits the leftist have gotten imposed on corporations.  If they need health care, the emergency room is open 24/7.

So, what about you?  Would you work for min wage?

TLDR.  IDGAF  ?  

Hey its awesome you started yet another thread about race!! Thank you. It's such a different angle for you.

So what decisions did you make earlier in life that lead you to only be able to get a minimum paying job?

I would work for minimum wage if I had no other choices but I'd also climb the scale

As a white human with only a tenth of the required effort to reach the same financial success as a black male counterpart I'm also still a bad mother fucker 

14 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I would work for minimum wage if I had no other choices but I'd also climb the scale

As a white human with only a tenth of the required effort to reach the same financial success as a black male counterpart I'm also still a bad mother fucker 

If the height of your accomplishments is that you are a postal worker, trust me, you are NOT a bad mother fucker.

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Star Trek Lol GIF

https://www.forbes.com/sites/palashghosh/2021/06/18/blacks-earn-30-less-than-whites-while-black-households-have-just-one-eighth-of-wealth-of-white-households/?sh=77fa4675550c

Black workers in the U.S. earn on average, 30%, or $10,000, less than white workers, McKinsey found.

Nearly half of Black workers are employed in the healthcare, retail, accommodation and food service industries with the “vast majority” in lower-paying service roles instead of professional or managerial roles.

The annual median wage of all U.S. workers is about $42,000, 43% of Black workers earn less than $30,000 per year, highlighting how they are overrepresented in low-paying jobs. 

While Black Americans are underrepresented in high-paying professions; only 5% of physicians are Black, and just 4.5% of software developers are Black.

Some people gotta experience that shit everyday.  You complain too much said the man with all the money.  

I saw where on average a back man with a college degree makes less than a white male without a HS diploma

https://rollingout.com/2017/08/13/average-white-high-school-dropout-earns-more-than-black-college-grad/

The research comes to a shocking conclusion for many African Americans and others of color: the average white high school drop out earns more than the average Black college graduate.

48 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I saw where on average a back man with a college degree makes less than a white male without a HS diploma

https://rollingout.com/2017/08/13/average-white-high-school-dropout-earns-more-than-black-college-grad/

The research comes to a shocking conclusion for many African Americans and others of color: the average white high school drop out earns more than the average Black college graduate.

Just awful.  Strides have been made in certain areas, but this crap remains endemic.  

I imagine it irritates people when I bring this up-quite often.  I just feel sometimes people don't know how bad it is to grow up in that and not be able to envision a way out.  I know individuals here can't solve this/change this, but we can all become more aware.  MLK,Jr raised the consciousness of America.  There's still more to be done.

You think I'm bad here, you should hear me getting after the black humans.  I preach the bootstrap theory because it's all we got.*  The problem is the mentality of the people.  Kinda like when you guys look at people who support Trump.  Poorly educated and Ignorant. You have black people who are making huge money producing entertainment that characterizes black people as ignorant and violent.  The degradation of black women in the music is a sin.  Poorly educated black people will identify with that shit, just like evangelicals identified with "Punch him, I'll pay your fine."  "Grab them by the pussy."

Tyler Perry is the richest man is the entertainment business.  Madea is Amos n' Andy of the new millennium.   He now writes a ton of shows on BET(Black Entertainment Television) bought by whites years ago.  The first thing that left the station was the hour of intelligent news discussions and the progressive talk shows.  Tyler Perry's shows are all b-tv as in b-rated movies.  Poorly done.  No depth in story content.  No controversy.  Just low grade drama.  BET.  They push the edge of sexuality.  They never touch producing drama about real issues.

Puffy.  Dre.  They have made it.  There are intelligent young gifted writer/rappers who can't get produced because their music isn't about banging ho's and gunning down black people.  Rat-a-tat-tat.  You see men and boys shooting gun in the news the same way they do in ignorant movies.  No aiming.  No range practice.  Not giving a fuck about collateral damage.  Where do they get their dumb ass shooting skills?

the struggle is real.  the black people can do a lot more.

*Up From Slavery by Booker T Washington-I include this book in the handful of books that inspired me to take a different approach. 

If I had to I would.  I always think it's easier to negotiate for better pay while being paid.  You lose a lotta money not working.

But that said, there's a lot of daylight between my most heavily discounted consulting rate and minimum wage.  Minimum wage is way to low.