Trying to Understand the Final Offensive Possession

Jonboy

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just heard PK and the Outkick guys discussing this. I don't think we're talking about Vrabel's clock management enough here. Even after listening to him and Tannehill trying to explain the thought pro

wrong. you don't bleed the clock on the front end of the drive, you do it on the backend. It was poor clock management period.

I find it hard to believe that people are questioning that sequence. Was played perfectly. Don’t leave Bengals time to score if you have to punt. Try to get into FG range with seconds left if you can

1 hour ago, Jamalisms said:

This is totally fine and normal. Why are you even discussing it?

Can you think of any other instances of this happening? Ever? Just one?

I can't think of any and I'd have to search through the entire history of all 2 minute drills ever recorded in the hopes of finding a single example, so I won't even try. But, again, it's a totally non-exceptional approach.

Lol.  I hope you do sit down and start going through all of the 2 minutes drills run.  I'm willing to say that we, under Vrabel, have probably employed a similar strategy before in his 4 years.

Edited by japan

32 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

It was absolutely the right strategy. The interception was a bad play design, then a bad decision. Period

If anything the strategy almost prevented the potential disaster of a turnover 

Vrabel was right to not want to give the ball back to Burrow and his receivers. We saw what happened when they did and if the Titans had went 3 and out with a minute left then Vrabel would be crucified because they would have scored 

Of course.  Not sure why some can't understand this.

4 hours ago, oldschool said:

punt and go to OT where a coin flip could lose you the game? They had everything lined up perfectly to win that game with 2:43 seconds left and they bled the clock before getting anywhere near FG range that it put crazy pressure on the offense to make 2 high level plays with 30 seconds left to barely get into FG range. It was mishandled period. Listen to any good Qb talk about what the 2 min offense is about. Its not about getting 15-20-25 yard chunks. Its about getting 1st downs and continuing to put pressure on the defense. 

Very true. Brett Favre always said just focus on getting first downs, and you always have enough time in the 2 min.

Edited by kgsTitan

4 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

Nobody asked for a stat. I asked whether you recall any other examples, ever, of a team intentionally running the clock down to 30 seconds at their own 30-40 yard line instead of getting to FG range first.

Do you recall any examples?

Being a little overly specific here imo. You can easily find drives when teams who are tied or in the lead late in the 4th (2-3min to play) start running the clock down as they drive the field. Specifically run it down to 30s? Maybe if you look hard enough.

Bucs were tied w/ the Colts in week 12 this year and got the ball w/ 3:09 to play and started trying to run the clock down as they drove the field. Only got it down to around 2min before getting into FG range the next play though. 

Can you find a specific case where they ran it down more? Probably.

But having the ball on the 47 w/ :25ish to play and a TO is plenty of time. Do you disagree? The middle of the field is still fair game. QB can still scramble and get down and call a TO or you even have time to spike it at that point and still get a play or 2 off. 20-ish seconds at that point w/ a TO is plenty of time.

1 hour ago, Jamalisms said:

Good example of a team ... not ... running the clock down even after they got in field goal range.

Thanks, I guess.

I think his last point is the important one that you don't want to address...

2 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

Good example of a team ... not ... running the clock down even after they got in field goal range.

Thanks, I guess.

They ran 45s off the clock after a 3yd pass on first and 10 on their own 28. Then they ran 41s off the clock on their on 42 on 1st and 15. They were obviously trying to run clock. And then they got into the other team's territory and they ran another 40s off the clock. Running the clock down on that drive was obviously their plan. But hey... maybe Brady doesn't know how to manage the clock?

If you want to try and be overly specific and narrow it down even more then feel free. But when teams are tied and get the ball w/ 2-3mins to play w/ the ball deep in their own territory, they try to run the clock a lot of times b/c it's dumb to have 3 straight incompletions and punt it back to the other team w/ plenty of time and great field position.

Edited by reo

26 minutes ago, reo said:

They ran 45s off the clock after a 3yd pass on first and 10 on their own 28. Then they ran 41s off the clock on their on 42 on 1st and 15. They were obviously trying to run clock. And then they got into the other team's territory and they ran another 40s off the clock. Running the clock down on that drive was obviously their plan. But hey... maybe Brady doesn't know how to manage the clock?

If you want to try and be overly specific and narrow it down even more then feel free. But when teams are tied and get the ball w/ 2-3mins to play w/ the ball deep in their own territory, they try to run the clock a lot of times b/c it's dumb to have 3 straight incompletions and punt it back to the other team w/ plenty of time and great field position.

Did they run it down to 30 secs? nope...  but please keep missing the point.

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

Did they run it down to 30 secs? nope...  but please keep missing the point.

lol did you miss the part about overly narrowing down the topic?

Once again. :20ish seconds left w/ 1 TO and needing 18 yards is plenty of time. And you know it.

1 minute ago, reo said:

lol did you miss the part about overly narrowing down the topic?

Once again. :20ish seconds left w/ 1 TO and needing 18 yards is plenty of time. And you know it.

That's not the issue. It's burning 1:28 seconds after the 2 min when you haven't cross your own 35 yet. That's the sequence that is being called into question.

4 minutes ago, oldschool said:

That's not the issue. It's burning 1:28 seconds after the 2 min when you haven't cross your own 35 yet. That's the sequence that is being called into question.

HAHA It's 100% the issue. You just don't want it to be b/c you know they had plenty of time. They did exactly what they needed to do to get in FG range w/ no time left on the clock for the Bengals... but then Tannehill threw a pick.

If they had gotten that last 18 yds and kicked the FG for the win as time expired, ya'll would've been RAVING about the clock management. But they didn't and not b/c of the clock but b/c Tannehill threw another pick.

Edited by reo