Trying to Understand the Final Offensive Possession

Jonboy

4 minutes ago, japan said:

You kick it with a few seconds left and if he missed you go to OT. It’s mystifying why this is a point of contention. 

so you don't try to set up your limited kicker with a more makable FG? Its crazy how many of you don't think how the end of the game was handled was an issue. The only reason its not a bigger issue is because Tannehill sucked all game. The focus on clock management isn't a way to white wash who lost the game, its to discuss why the Titans bled so much clock on the front of the drive which is literally the opposite of how every 2 mins offense is run across the league.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just heard PK and the Outkick guys discussing this. I don't think we're talking about Vrabel's clock management enough here. Even after listening to him and Tannehill trying to explain the thought pro

wrong. you don't bleed the clock on the front end of the drive, you do it on the backend. It was poor clock management period.

I find it hard to believe that people are questioning that sequence. Was played perfectly. Don’t leave Bengals time to score if you have to punt. Try to get into FG range with seconds left if you can

1 hour ago, BudsOilers said:

They needed 17 yards or so to set up a 47 yard field goal.  With 22 seconds and a time out, it absolutely was doable.

No one said it was impossible - it was just a dumbass way to do it.

16 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Nobody asked for a stat. I asked whether you recall any other examples, ever, of a team intentionally running the clock down to 30 seconds at their own 30-40 yard line instead of getting to FG range first.

Do you recall any examples?

I'm sure something similar has been done Jamal.

13 minutes ago, oldschool said:

so you don't try to set up your limited kicker with a more makable FG? Its crazy how many of you don't think how the end of the game was handled was an issue. The only reason its not a bigger issue is because Tannehill sucked all game. The focus on clock management isn't a way to white wash who lost the game, its to discuss why the Titans bled so much clock on the front of the drive which is literally the opposite of how every 2 mins offense is run across the league.

Silly

3 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

Sucked all game. What a fucking moron. We could spend all day talking about the people that "Sucked all game" like the defense that gave up 358 yards passing and the final play to get them in FG range. Like Brown slipping down on a needed catch. Like Henry failing to convert the XP and the 4th down. Yet you single out one person, not even mentioning the idiotic coaches that thought bringing Henry back to START after 12 weeks off was a great idea. 

It was unknown by anyone how Henry would respond in a live game situation. What I have a problem with is not riding the hot hand with Foreman after it was apparent that Henry was sluggish.

This is totally fine and normal. Why are you even discussing it?

Can you think of any other instances of this happening? Ever? Just one?

I can't think of any and I'd have to search through the entire history of all 2 minute drills ever recorded in the hopes of finding a single example, so I won't even try. But, again, it's a totally non-exceptional approach.

If you re-watch it, they were going hurry up after the Jones catch.  Hendrickson got hurt so Cincy was charged a TO with 1:46 left.  On the next play, Jones is out with McGrath in and they run Henry for no gain.  At that point, IMO, Vrabel is then seeing whether Cincy is going to use a TO there.  I also suspect they had to scramble a bit for the right play call with Jones out. 

I believe Vrabel adjusted to play it more conservatively with the time after Henry ran twice for 3 yards and Jones went out.  The strategy was fine assuming you don't have a TO. 

Joel also brings up a non-talked about point.  Cincy had the ball at their own 47 with 20 seconds left and 2 TO's and in one play got into FG range.  The defense played really well for the most part but that was a bummer that it was pitch and catch at that point.

It was absolutely the right strategy. The interception was a bad play design, then a bad decision. Period

If anything the strategy almost prevented the potential disaster of a turnover 

Vrabel was right to not want to give the ball back to Burrow and his receivers. We saw what happened when they did and if the Titans had went 3 and out with a minute left then Vrabel would be crucified because they would have scored 

Edited by IrishTitansFan