Trying to Understand the Final Offensive Possession

Jonboy

7 minutes ago, scine09 said:

I'll just say this one more time then I'm out in this thread as we're going round and round and I've said my piece.  An NFL team should be able to move the ball 20-30 yards in 30 seconds with two timeouts.  The team practices for these exact situations.  The fact that they could not do that and instead did the unthinkable is on one person, and it's not the head coach.

Watch other games. You know teams dont bleed 1:30 after the two min warning on 3 plays from their own 30-35. I showed you the difference in how they handled the 49ers game winning drive. 4 plays in 40 seconds, no huddle etc... then ran the clock down after the Tannehill run to 31 of the 49ers.

They basically played not to lose by bleeding the clock too far down and trying to rely on two plays to get in range for a 45-50 yard FG. 

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just heard PK and the Outkick guys discussing this. I don't think we're talking about Vrabel's clock management enough here. Even after listening to him and Tannehill trying to explain the thought pro

wrong. you don't bleed the clock on the front end of the drive, you do it on the backend. It was poor clock management period.

I find it hard to believe that people are questioning that sequence. Was played perfectly. Don’t leave Bengals time to score if you have to punt. Try to get into FG range with seconds left if you can

Even in real time, that play sequence and clock management felt disjointed and disorganized.     As the clock went under a minute and kept ticking, I was like "WTF are they thinking letting so much time burn off the clock???   They haven't even reached midfield yet!"   

The Titans took possession with 2:48 left....and ran the ball twice in the next four plays.   They burned more than two minutes to get just 25 yards of field position....leaving themselves only 28 seconds to gain another 30-40 yards to reach  reasonable FG range.       

Instead of adopting a standard 2+ minute drive approach,  they deliberately forced themselves into a pressure situation...with a QB who had already throws two bad INTs that day.    What could possibly go wrong?

I completely understand the reasoning behind it;   I just think it was stupid and foolhardy logic....and it ultimately cost them the game.    The results speak for themselves.   Great job, coach.

2 minutes ago, nine said:

Even in real time, that play sequence and clock management felt disjointed and disorganized.     As the clock ticked down under a minute, I was like "WTF are they thinking letting so much time burn off the clock???   They haven't even reached midfield yet!"   

The Titans took possession with 2:48 left....and ran the ball twice in the next four plays.   They burned more than two minutes just to go 25 yards....giving them only 28 seconds to gain another 30-40 yards just to get into reasonable FG range.       

Instead of adopting a standard 2+ minute drive approach,  they deliberately forced themselves into a pressure situation...with a QB who had already throws two bad INTs that day.    What could possibly go wrong?

I completely understand the reasoning behind it;   I just think it was stupid and foolhardy logic....and it ultimately cost them the game.    The results speak for themselves.   Great job, coach.

Exactly. I don't mind the pre 2 min clock management. It's the subsequent sequence where they let 1:28 roll off the clock while running only 4 plays, none of which were in no huddle thats the issue. Especially after Hendrickson went out on the Jones 15 yarder.

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

Watch other games. You know teams dont bleed 1:30 after the two min warning on 3 plays from their own 30-35. I showed you the difference in how they handled the 49ers game winning drive. 4 plays in 40 seconds, no huddle etc... then ran the clock down after the Tannehill run to 31 of the 49ers.

They basically played not to lose by bleeding the clock too far down and trying to rely on two plays to get in range for a 45-50 yard FG. 

And maybe if Tannehill didn’t only have two plays to get into fg range he wouldn’t have felt compelled to force the last pass. It was just a mess of a drive 

11 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

I find it odd you think it was played perfectly where even if that interception was a completion, they STILL need to gain 30 yards or something in 20 seconds to get into winning position.

30 yards in 20 seconds is insurmountable? Lol

Edited by japan

2 minutes ago, japan said:

30 yards in 20 seconds is insurmountable? Lol

No but do you agree it puts crazy pressure on the offense rather than just running no huddle and getting 1st downs while you move into FG range with the defense playing soft to not give up the big play? You know how ever single 2 min offense is run around the league and how the Titans have done in the past?

13 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

"Why did Tannehill force a pass instead of taking the checkdown!?"

Maybe because he worried they had no fucking time left for checkdowns?

"Played it perfectly"

This is Jamal’s new hill to die on? Lol at people complaining about this. The sequence was sound. The only thing you couldn’t do is turn the ball over. 

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

No but do you agree it puts crazy pressure on the offense rather than just running no huddle and getting 1st downs while you move into FG range with the defense playing soft to not give up the big play? You know how ever single 2 min offense is run around the league and how the Titans have done in the past?

No. What pressure? The game was tied. You don’t get the look, throw the ball away, punt and go to OT at your stadium. Was definitely sound strategy. 

Edited by japan