Trying to Understand the Final Offensive Possession

Jonboy

4 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

If they were just trying to play for overtime then they shouldn't have even thrown a single pass on that drive.

If they were playing to win the game then they should have gotten into a hurry up and marched the damn field until they got into field goal range. THEN they milk the clock and kick the Bengals back to Cincinatti. This isn't complicated and it's just special olympics mental gymnastics people are doing to justify the time management on that last drive. It was pretty fucking awful, regardless of the interception by Tannehill.

They were doing a mix of both. Tannehill is a shot QB so they gave him a play each series to take a shot and get a chunk of yards and used the rest of the time to run clock so if they didn't get the chunk of yards, they weren't screwed by leaving Cincy w/ a ton of time left. That's what you do when you have Tannehill at QB.

i'm not saying I agree w/ it necessarily but I completely understand it. And if the ball doesn't get tipped, it might've worked.

Edited by reo

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just heard PK and the Outkick guys discussing this. I don't think we're talking about Vrabel's clock management enough here. Even after listening to him and Tannehill trying to explain the thought pro

wrong. you don't bleed the clock on the front end of the drive, you do it on the backend. It was poor clock management period.

I find it hard to believe that people are questioning that sequence. Was played perfectly. Don’t leave Bengals time to score if you have to punt. Try to get into FG range with seconds left if you can

4 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

If they were just trying to play for overtime then they shouldn't have even thrown a single pass on that drive.

If they were playing to win the game then they should have gotten into a hurry up and marched the damn field until they got into field goal range. THEN they milk the clock and kick the Bengals back to Cincinatti. This isn't complicated and it's just special olympics mental gymnastics people are doing to justify the time management on that last drive. It was pretty fucking awful, regardless of the interception by Tannehill.

Apparently it's EXTREMELY complicated....for some reason.  

3 minutes ago, reo said:

They were doing a mix of both. Tannehill is a shot QB so they gave him a play each series to take a shot and get a chunk of yards and used the rest of the time to run clock so if they didn't get the chunk of yards, they weren't screwed by leaving Cincy w/ a ton of time left. That's what you do when you have Tannehill at QB.

i'm not saying I agree w/ it necessarily but I completely understand it. And if the ball doesn't get tipped, it might've worked.

You get in FG range and start running the ball.  No more passing.  

2 minutes ago, Rogue said:

Apparently it's EXTREMELY complicated....for some reason.  

It's complicated because people are trying to blame Vrabel/Downing OR Tannehill. The uncomplicated truth is they were both to blame. Bad clock management by Vrabel/Downing, bad throw by Tannehill that was tipped and picked.

Vrabel was right. It's not just one person. They can each hold the hand of blame. Except for the guys on defense with their 9 wasted sacks.

2 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

It's complicated because people are trying to blame Vrabel/Downing OR Tannehill. The uncomplicated truth is they were both to blame. Bad clock management by Vrabel/Downing, bad throw by Tannehill that was tipped and picked.

Vrabel was right. It's not just one person. They can each hold the hand of blame. Except for the guys on defense with their 9 wasted sacks.

This was something PK and Hutton brought up today.  When giving interviews, the defense seemingly blamed themselves and said they needed to get more turnovers.  Like they were why we lost that game.  Although I love the fire, that’s absolutely ridiculous.   Meanwhile Tannehill wasn’t available to talk to the media.  I get it, it’s a brutal loss, he probably feels like dogshit, and the whole world knows who’s fault it is.  But man up and take the tough questions.  

Just now, reo said:

Doesn't have to be one or the other. it's not a binary choice.

Some choices are better than others.  Like get in FG range and then start running the clock.  Perhaps they tried and couldn't.  I don't remember the details.  Just going on what's been discussed in the thread.  

1 minute ago, Rogue said:

Some choices are better than others.  Like get in FG range and then start running the clock.  Perhaps they tried and couldn't.  I don't remember the details.  Just going on what's been discussed in the thread.  

We had first and ten at our own 35 after a 16 yard completion with a minute fifty something remaining.  We intentionally bled another minute and a half off the clock over the next two plays leading up to third and five with 20 something seconds remaining. 

Just now, Mercalius said:

We had first and ten at our own 35 after a 16 yard completion with a minute fifty something remaining.  We intentionally bled another minute and a half off the clock over the next two plays leading up to third and five with 20 something seconds remaining. 

That's roughly what I've gathered from the thread.  And yeah, I kind of agree with the thread title.  

1 minute ago, Rogue said:

They tried to do both. They ran some clock and gave Tannehill a play per series to get a 1st down. So if he didn't, they'd have at least run most of the clock.

If they had gotten out of their own territory, they'd have probably started to throw it more. iirc they also had all 3 TOs w/ 28s to play and on the 47. That means plenty of time to get another 20+ yards and a FG.

And if they got stopped around the 47 (if it was completed and not tipped), there would've been about 10s to play and they'd be pinning the Bengals deep.

5 minutes ago, Mercalius said:

And if that pass was completed instead of tipped, they'd have had the ball at the 47 w/ 28s to play and 2 TOs to get another 20 yards. That's probably another 3-4 plays at least (probably more) and the middle of the field is fair game.

They actually played the clock really well... Tannehill just threw a pick.

Edited by reo

2 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

Can anyone cite some examples where a team needed to score with about a minute left and bled 30 seconds off the clack at about their own 30 to 35 yard line?

I honestly can't think of any. I'd love some comparable situations to consider, if anyone has them. Surely this has happened before if it's a good idea ...?

Who had the ball at their ~30 yard line with a minute left and intentionally killed 30 seconds before trying to get closer to field goal position?

If it was completed, they would have had roughly 22 seconds left and would have needed roughly 18 yards to setup a 47 yard FG with one TO left.  Plenty of time.

The big issues were the 1st down run for zero and the 3rd down INT and doing the entire last 3 plays without Jones on the field (which I find laughable that not ONE media member asked Vrabel about).......