That one is on Tannehill

titansfan

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interestingly (to me), I've grown more frustrated with Tannehill as more time has passed since the game. It's usually the opposite.   I honestly don't think there's any way that he regains m

this was a high powered offense. 9 sacks and 19 points including 4 field goals. can't ask for more in a playoff game. The game plan allowed the yards but it was bend but don't break played to perfecti

The pass blocking by the line was not an issue last night.  Tannehill had enough time to not make boneheaded throws into coverage.

7 minutes ago, OzTitan said:

This offense would have looked so much better with a consistent threat at TE. I wonder if this is the year that JR deals the 1st rounder for some veteran piece. I'm not sure of the candidates but a 800-1000 yard capable TE would be a huge boost.

Problem is you also need the benefits of that rookie contract.

53 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Stop. He's thrown plenty of  anticipatory passes. He does stare down receivers from time to time and we know his pocket awareness is average at best. At least be honest when discussing his flaws.

It's quite documented that it's one of his weaknesses. Every QB has one. His is that. From his time coming out of Texas A&M to now, he's been a "see it, throw it" QB. His accuracy allows it.

For what it's worth, I went back and watched the game again.(yes I'm a glutton for punishment) I watched the game objectively and not dejectedly. Tannehill made a couple critical errors that greatly impacted the outcome but overall played a pretty good game. The opening play interception was a bad decision and bad pass. No denying it. The tipped pass/interception in the 4th quarter being most critical TO and I'm sure he would love to have that one back. The Bengals Dback made a great play on the ball. Tannehill threw the ball pretty well into tight coverage. For the most part he hit players in stride and had good pocket awareness. 

The problem with RT is that he's a good QB but not elite. You saw elite last night on both sides of the field. You saw elite Saturday at Nissan stadium in Burrow. That said Tannehill plays the style of football that Vrabel coaches. Ball control defensive minded football. He's good enough to win a championship but there's not much margin for error. He has to have a good defense and running game but he was not the reason we lost the game.

The reason we lost is because the Bengals made plays on both sides of the ball when they needed them. Critical conversions on offense and a solid defensive game. Vrabel's conservative game management bit us in the butt as well. When we punted in the 4th quarter instead of trying the long field goal, it was the nail in the coffin. I understand the decision that he didn't trust Bullock on a long FG and didn't want to give Burrow a short field and the defense was playing well. Burrow made us pay. Going for the 2 point conversion was the right call. 9 times out of 10 we get the 2 yards. I just didn't like the play call of running Henry right into the teeth of the defense. I think we should have run Foreman more. He was quicker to the hole and running with authority.

We didn't play bad football Saturday. It was a really painful loss but it shouldn't cloud your judgement on what was a great season that didn't end well. The defense swarmed. I will say Saturday was not Fulton's best game but he's only in his first year as a starter. We've got a solid team. One other thing I'll say is I think our offense regressed. It is not a top 5 offense. Will it be without the avalanche of injuries we saw this year? I don't know but I still feel like Downing has a lot to prove. Hopefully injuries won't be as bad next year. Time to lick our wounds and and move on.

Edited by freakingeek

These are Tannehill's passer ratings from his last five playoff games.  His only playoff appearances I believe.

61.0  109.5   108.1   83.0    66.7  Plus a 44.4 passer rating in the first half Saturday against the Bengals.

I think a new QB joins the Titans in 2022.  There are a lot of if's relating to the cap I do not know.  If they are serious about winning a SB they can't count on having a generational RB to carry Tannehill.   There's no guarantee Henry will return to be King Henry.  Even then, you need a QB that can play at a top level when everything isn't perfect.  

It takes too much money to have everything around a QB.  Top OL, Top WR, Top RB and a defense that sacks the other QB nine times costs a lot of money.  Too much money to trot them all out there with the playoff record of RT.

We all love Tannehill, but he didn't endear himself to the city Saturday.  A lot of posters here complain the media doesn't talk about the Titans and put it on the size of the city.  Lots of us think he's elite, but we are all homers.  He hasn't shown up big to win a playoff game yet.

We have a good laugh at the Dallas Cowboys fans, but the Cowboys have five SB rings.  The pukey Steelers fans follow a team with five SB wins.  It's not going to look like the Titans really want to win if they stick with Tannehill.  

The Titans need to replace him or draft a highly promising rookie they plan to develop and take over during 2022.

https://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/32032/tennessee-titans-ryan-tannehill-have-hit-their-ceiling-and-its-not-the-super-bowl

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- After the Tennessee Titans fell 19-16 to the Cincinnati Bengals on Saturday at Nissan Stadium -- which wasted a golden opportunity to make another deep postseason run -- there is one question that must be asked.

Can the Titans win a Super Bowl with quarterback Ryan Tannehill?

All Tannehill had to do was manage the game and not turn the football over. Unfortunately for the Titans, Tannehill's very first pass attempt resulted in the first of three heartbreaking interceptions.

Here are some more numbers:

62.3  82.0  31.2  158.3  138.7  35.5

Those are Peyton Manning passer ratings in his first six playoff games. It took him 4 years just to win a single playoff game and 7 years to win a Super Bowl. If Tannehill had gone one and done three years in a row with passer ratings of 62.3, 82.0 and 31.2 this place would be going absolute nuclear meltdown.

I'm not saying Tannehill is Peyton Manning. What I am saying is jumping to the conclusion that because he hasn't put it all together in the playoffs after his first three attempts it conclusively means he never will is completely illogical.

19 minutes ago, TF_Titan said:

Here are some more numbers:

62.3  82.0  31.2  158.3  138.7  35.5

Those are Peyton Manning passer ratings in his first six playoff games. It took him 4 years just to win a single playoff game and 7 years to win a Super Bowl. If Tannehill had gone one and done three years in a row with passer ratings of 62.3, 82.0 and 31.2 this place would be going absolute nuclear meltdown.

I'm not saying Tannehill is Peyton Manning. What I am saying is jumping to the conclusion that because he hasn't put it all together in the playoffs after his first three attempts it conclusively means he never will is completely illogical.

Peyton was a big game choker.  The defense got him SB wins, but during the season he was setting records.  This is different.  People around here have blamed the rest of the team for RT's inability to raise the teams level of play.

39 minutes ago, Number9 said:

This is different.

It's only different because it's your team. They both had success in the regular season and both struggle in their first three playoff appearances (Peyton much more so). Of course people are looking for who/what to blame...Tannehill, Downing, other players, scheme...whatever. That's not my point. My point is that just because his first three trips to the playoffs haven't been successful doesn't mean he'll never put it together and they won't be able to win with him at QB.

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't have doubts. Anyone who watched the game on Sunday should be concerned. But that doesn't mean the best course of action moving forward is to dump him and think you're going to realistically upgrade at QB without completely destroying your cap and draft capital. The best option is to use whatever cap space and draft capital you have to build up the talent around him. That doesn't guarantee success, but it's their best chance.

15 minutes ago, TF_Titan said:

It's only different because it's your team. They both had success in the regular season and both struggle in their first three playoff appearances (Peyton much more so). Of course people are looking for who/what to blame...Tannehill, Downing, other players, scheme...whatever. That's not my point. My point is that just because his first three trips to the playoffs haven't been successful doesn't mean he'll never put it together and they won't be able to win with him at QB.

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't have doubts. Anyone who watched the game on Sunday should be concerned. But that doesn't mean the best course of action moving forward is to dump him and think you're going to realistically upgrade at QB without completely destroying your cap and draft capital. The best option is to use whatever cap space and draft capital you have to build up the talent around him. That doesn't guarantee success, but it's their best chance.

OK.  I see it differently.  PM was a #1 draft pick by a team that was the joke of the NFL.  He took them from the bottom to the top.  Tannehill came here later in his career and got the team JRob built for Mariota.  Peyton was the show in Indy.  Henry has been the show in Tennessee.

On 1/23/2022 at 5:41 PM, titansfan said:

It's quite documented that it's one of his weaknesses. Every QB has one. His is that. From his time coming out of Texas A&M to now, he's been a "see it, throw it" QB. His accuracy allows it.

Throwing with anticipation is actually what caused him to throw the last pick. A "see it, throw it" guy wouldn't have thrown that pass because NWI wasn't open. He threw with anticipation but was too aggressive with his decision-making and the absolute worst outcome occurred.