Fire Todd Downing

tgo

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The shotgun on 3and inches was the worst   How many times have they by passed a QB sneak and it blow up on them?

You just can't get into shot gun on third and six inches. You just can't. You're basically turning it into a 3rd and 5. Any penetration at all and you're guaranteed to lose yards. Inexcusable.

It doesn't strike me as a Vrabel move. But I think it's a mistake to go into next season with this guy. Slow starts were a constant, no feel for the flow of the game and the QB took a major step backw

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Henry is the issue. until he’s gone and the focus of this offense changes. that’s simple fact. We rushed him back changed our whole offensive game plan to fit henry into a playoff game where our focus should have been opening up the offense. Brown was killing the bengals running wide open all game. As was Julio. The problem is there’s no rhythm on offense. Tannehill is a rhythm thrower who needs 7-8 throws in a row we know he’s capable of that just look at games where we needed to come back. 

I actually think running the ball more effectively would have helped a LOT yesterday. Henry was clearly not 100%, but more Foreman would have won the game, IMO. So I don't inherently have a problem with running it. They just tried to get Henry to do too much, considering. 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

The very first play of the game the titans tried running play action to fool the bengals and the bengals had every one of our guys blanketed. We are to predicting on offense 

You're talking about a QB that had a shaky season passing wise, has only won playoff games because of RB insistence, and then gets schemed the ball for the first play of the game and shows off how absolutely boneheaded he is throwing the ball into no-mans-land.

What an embarrassing way to kick off a home playoff game as the #1 seed.

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/10/15/16477716/todd-downings-offense-is-ruining-the-oakland-raiders-season

Highlights from this when he was the OC of the Raiders

“Downing is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole”

“He has gotten rid of the deep passing game that worked in the past”

“We are throwing a lot of 3 yard passes on 3rd and 10”

“Lynch was killing them on the ground and he completely went away from it”

Sound familiar?

This was an excruciatingly painful loss. One of the worst ever. The Bengals played a great game. I give them their due. I don't understand how in the hell we didn't run Foreman and drive the field. You ride the hot hand. The first play of the game was bad. It was a risky pass, but I don't put tipped balls that turn into INTs on the QB. Tannehill throws into tight windows. He had a flat game when we needed him most. The defense played very well. More than enough to win that game. But the play calling and Vrabel being too conservative killed any chance for a win. We had everything lined up for us and we stumbled. I'm really too disappointed to say much more than that right now.

2 hours ago, oldschool said:

The 49ers offense is a perfect example of what the Titans offense should be if they want to play that style. The problem with firing Downing is we likely see the same core offense under guy #4. Its not a Downing issue, its a Vrabel/Jrob issue.

My question would be, is the LaFleur offense more or less QB friendly than ours (at least when necessary)? I obviously know of his strong ties to McVay and Shannahan who have run very QB friendly offenses when necessary.

I've assumed LaFleur was a JRob guy more than Vrabel (is that wrong?), so maybe we could go heavier in that direction with a new OC.

Essentially I'm saying there seems to be a precedent at least from JRob to like that kind of offense.

Edited by Titans279

Downing did not have a good year, but I believe the Titans realised after 2020 they needed to trust Tannehill more and expanded the passing game. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like Tannehill can operate a full drop back passing offense when it matters most. They need to simplify it to what it was again and just hope for the best

45 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

Downing did not have a good year, but I believe the Titans realised after 2020 they needed to trust Tannehill more and expanded the passing game. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like Tannehill can operate a full drop back passing offense when it matters most. They need to simplify it to what it was again and just hope for the best

I don’t think they were dumb enough to “trust Tannehill more” or think he could “operate a full drop back passing offense.” 

If they did, then they would have to ignore his career in Miami and his flaws which would be epicly stupid. 

More likely, Downing was just insistent on fitting Tannehill into his staple passing philosophy. 

• tgo changed the title to Fire Todd Downing