New NFL passing metric used to analyze playoff QBs, SHOCKING RESULTS INSIDE

TheBukafax

4 hours ago, AJClown said:

In 2019, TEN was #6 listed as far as "pass block win-rate" an ESPN stat. I personally like the stat ESPN has. It judges which OL gives their QB at least 2.5 seconds before surrendering a pressure or sack. If they block for at least 2.5 seconds its considered a "win".....

......And 2.5 seconds is not an arbitrary period of time, because it is the average time after the snap when pressure occurs in the NFL....

The average passer rating  is 94.2... The league average right now is 91.2, so thus far this season, having a top-10 offensive line in the league in terms of pass block win rate is associated with three more passer rating points on average.  How are those teams managing to pass the ball so well, without also having one of the best offensive lines in the league in terms of pass blocking? You think it might have anything to do with the individual ability of their quarterbacks (Herbert and Mahomes)?

I googled pass block win rate and I didn't find that exact stat.

Not sure what your point is with this post.  I don't see how it contradicted anything that I said.

I fully concur that if a team has a great offensive line, the QB always looks better.  I also believe that there is interplay between the QB and the line.  They do not exist separately.  A line can look poor when the QB holds the ball too long.  A line can look better than it is when the QB is decisive.

I was just saying that initial draft position on players is not always and indication of their greatness in the NFL.

Even at QB, where first rounders dominate starting lineups and the HOF, the best ever, is a sixth round pick.  The second best ever is arguably a third round pick (Montana).  Brees was a second round pick, and Wilson was a third rounder, though we are starting to see the bloom come off of that rose a little.

And, certainly, this is not the week to bring up the fact that Dak was a 4th rounder.  :)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have that Tannehill pic with the Oilers logo as my screen saver and just rubbed one out to it 

Some key quotes   ”Tannehill and his fourth-ranked 89 NGS Passing Score undoubtedly was key to the Titans' ability to survive their injuries.”   “Tannehill was an above-average pas

https://www.nfl.com/news/ranking-the-14-playoff-quarterbacks-based-on-ngs-new-passing-score-metric?campaign=Twitter_atn   The Next Gen Stats crew has created a new metric/algorithm to analyz

Posted Images

1 minute ago, dcblanton said:

I was just saying that initial draft position on players is not always and indication of their greatness in the NFL.

Even at QB, where first rounders dominate starting lineups and the HOF, the best ever, is a sixth round pick.  The second best ever is arguably a third round pick (Montana).  Brees was a second round pick, and Wilson was a third rounder, though we are starting to see the bloom come off of that rose a little.

And, certainly, this is not the week to bring up the fact that Dak was a 4th rounder.  :)

You are naming a few outliers in 30+ years of QBs drafted.... The bottom line is unless you get lucky with a Wilson or Brady, HOF QBs, you better be willing to spend 1st rounders on QBs. In addition as it relates to other positions, draft slot doesn't always correlate to pro success but the numbers are also pretty overwhelming for guys drafted from the 4th round on.

6 minutes ago, oldschool said:

You are naming a few outliers in 30+ years of QBs drafted.... The bottom line is unless you get lucky with a Wilson or Brady, HOF QBs, you better be willing to spend 1st rounders on QBs. In addition as it relates to other positions, draft slot doesn't always correlate to pro success but the numbers are also pretty overwhelming for guys drafted from the 4th round on.

Okay, I just threw out QB because we all know that first round is where most great QB's are found, but even in the position that is dominated by first rounders, you can find exceptions.  

You find many more exceptions with offensive lineman, and that was the point.

Yes, statistically, 1st rounders are better than 2nd rounders.  2nd rounders are better than 3rd, etc.  

My point is just that draft position does not determine your career.  You can overperform or underperform your draft status.

That is especially true with offensive lineman.  You can find three HOF offensive lineman that were never even drafted.   And, there are likely two more to be added: Jeff Saturday is a finalist this year, and Jason Peters is likely to get in after he retires.