MJ is the GOAT

NashvilleNinja

If I were a Jordan fan, which I'm not, I could understand being accused of being a homer. And if you're young, or someone who's trying to kiss the ass of the young to stay current, relevant, and cool, well... that's fine. You get a pass for that as long as I get a pass for feeling protective of the "good ol days" because I'm an older, crankier man pissed off that the youngins are having more fun on my lawn these days than I am. But none of that changes the fact that Jordan is head & shoulders above any and everyone else as the GOAT. There's no cap there, it's just reality.

1 hour ago, NashvilleNinja said:

If I were a Jordan fan, which I'm not, I could understand being accused of being a homer. And if you're young, or someone who's trying to kiss the ass of the young to stay current, relevant, and cool, well... that's fine. You get a pass for that as long as I get a pass for feeling protective of the "good ol days" because I'm an older, crankier man pissed off that the youngins are having more fun on my lawn these days than I am. But none of that changes the fact that Jordan is head & shoulders above any and everyone else as the GOAT. There's no cap there, it's just reality.

For now. There is a new GOAT coming: 

Of course, I am not being serious. I'll admit, the GOAT arguments are a pet peeve of mine. Firstly, I don't think many people making them actually watch a lot of basketball. And the constant comparison is an exhausting narrative used to make bad arguments or undermine current players. I'm starting to realize this might just be me though, and I'm not going to convince people to take a step back and realize LeBron and MJ's greatness can coexist. 

So here's my pivot--imploring Tennesseans and other easy converts to become Ja Morant and Memphis Grizzlies fans. 

I don't know if you watch a lot of basketball--get on this train now. Ja has major MJ and Kobe energy--he cares about his team and winning with a ruthlessness. He's fearless and is a human highlight machine. The dude makes 2-3 sports center top 10 worthy plays a game. 

Ja is awesome. Become an early convert. 

In case wondering:

Whether you’re a sports enthusiast or a casual viewer, you’ve likely heard the term “GOAT” before. Here’s what being the “GOAT” of a sport (or anything else) means.

“Greatest of All Time”

GOAT stands for “greatest of all time.” If you’ve participated in online sports talk, you may recognize that the term is used to refer to the greatest athlete in the history of a professional sport. Alternatively, some use it to refer to the best currently active athlete in the field. Because of its prominence, it has also become a general term for an all-time great at topics outside of sports.

The acronym is frequently found in every part of the internet where sports are talked about. This includes message boards, social networking sites, and video sharing sites like YouTube. It is also used between smaller groups of sports fans, whether in chats or real life. Many sports media outlets have also adopted the term, frequently writing articles about who they think the GOAT of a particular field is.

GOAT is always spelled in the uppercase to avoid confusion with the noun “goat,” which refers to the animal. It can also be spelled out as “G.O.A.T.,” with periods after each letter.

He might be the GOAT but he is not head and shoulders above the rest. 

the 90s were a very weak era. The Bulls were the only championship caliber team. 

The 80s had the Celtics, Lakers, Sixer and Pistons. 

23 hours ago, 'Nator said:

the 90s were a very weak era. The Bulls were the only championship caliber team. 

I was wondering when you'd pay a visit to this thread.

You say the 90's were weak, I say it was a more challenging era. There were a number of highly talented teams in the 90's. Malone and Stockton's Jazz. Olajuwon and the Rockets (they won back to back titles in Jordan's absence, fwiw). Ewing and the Knicks. Miller and the Pacers. Kemp and the Sonics. Robinson and the Spurs. Shaq and the Magic.

Were all those teams on par with the Celtics and Lakers of the 90's? Maybe not, but you don't need to romanticize the shit out of that decade just to tear down another. No one is going to dispute that those two teams were the cream of the 80's and two of the best dynasty teams in the history of the NBA. But I don't hear you tearing down those team's competition when the reality is every era has their cream of the crop and the also-ran weak sisters. So it's a pretty weak criticism to take to the 90's Bulls and not use against the Celtics and Lakers.

Those Jazz teams were old as shit. By the mid to the late 90s scoring was down because the league was so weak and diluted from expansion. We were slogging through a bunch of 88-78 games-- if anything the 90s were romanticized due to Jordan and his singular greatness to the point that people forget how crap the average game was. 

It was basically a "best of the bums" out west tourney every year to challenge who would get beat by the Bulls. 

The Pistons were the weakest of the 80s Champs and they gave the Bulls the most trouble until their squad was done. 

Every single Lakers, Celtics and Sixers Finals teams, even the finals losers, were better and more talented than ANY Bulls finals opponents in the 90s. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2022 at 3:13 PM, 'Nator said:

That's not true at all.

On 1/25/2022 at 11:53 AM, NashvilleNinja said:

I was wondering when you'd pay a visit to this thread.

You say the 90's were weak, I say it was a more challenging era. There were a number of highly talented teams in the 90's. Malone and Stockton's Jazz. Olajuwon and the Rockets (they won back to back titles in Jordan's absence, fwiw). Ewing and the Knicks. Miller and the Pacers. Kemp and the Sonics. Robinson and the Spurs. Shaq and the Magic.

I always refer to that first Rocket championship series as the "OJ chase series".

Oh and the Knicks specifically tailored their team and style (AKA FORCE BASKETBALL) as a way to try to stop Jordan.  Basically the Pistons , except even more physical.    And it didn't work as the Bulls still beat the Knicks.  Anyone remember that one clip of Jordan and Pippen blocking Charles Smith (he wore #54 for NYK) as he went for either a game tying or GW bucket?

On 3/6/2022 at 2:31 PM, rns90 said:

I always refer to that first Rocket championship series as the "OJ chase series".

Oh and the Knicks specifically tailored their team and style (AKA FORCE BASKETBALL) as a way to try to stop Jordan.  Basically the Pistons , except even more physical.    And it didn't work as the Bulls still beat the Knicks.  Anyone remember that one clip of Jordan and Pippen blocking Charles Smith (he wore #54 for NYK) as he went for either a game tying or GW bucket?

John Starks was the 2nd best offensive player on those teams and he wasn't particularly good (poor volume shooter). Those teams are only popular for somewhat giving the Bulls trouble. They weren't as good at those Pistons teams. 

Basically proves my point. A bruising Knicks team with a fuckall offense outside of Ewing gave the early 90s Bulls trouble.

Those Knick teams were nowhere as good as the 80s Celtics, Lakers, Sixers or Pistons. 

People forget that Jordan was, indeed back in 1995 for the playoffs and this idea that he wasn't in basketball shape yet is fucking 'tarded. He had better stats all across the board in the 95 series they lost to the Magic vs. the following year in the finals against the Sonics with his 70+ win team. 

The 90s were shit, expansion depleted garbage. Slow, slogging, defensive heavy games due to lack of talented league roster depth. 

Those 90s Bulls teams wouldn't sniff 6 titles in any other decade aside from the 90s. Certainly not in the 80s, not in the 00s, not in the 10s. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 4:47 PM, NashvilleNinja said:

BuT bUt BuT!?!? mIcHaEl HaD sCoTtIe!?!?

Yes that statement makes me laugh...and I'm a big LeBron fan.

Who would you rather have? Wade, Bosh, and Ray Allen, or Pippen, Armstrong, and Grant? Who is the better three?

LeBron will never be a goat, because that 2011 Finals was flat out embarrasing.... its one thing to lose, its another thing to lose while averaging 18.1 ppg and not even being the second best player on the court...

For me that's biggest reason he isn't goat.  If you cannot win against Dirk, 37 yr old Kid, Terry, Marion and Chandler  with your chosen team, then you aren't  the GOAT

GnNmdmwxB07MY__8IJOJtLaDGtwPn1zPT6q-VE1Y

Archived