About to go live with the new skin

TitansGuru

I like it until I click on a thread, and then there's just WAY too much empty space. Maybe my monitor and res cause that. I'm running at 1920x1080 on a 23 or 25 inch monitor (I can't remember which and don't feel like measuring it!). It ends up leaving a lot of space around posts, because it is maxing screen space. Maybe I'll play with the themes or something. I'm clearly in the minority on being bothered by this, though, so I'm not suggesting a change.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have to make it the default to run it through some browser simulators. If you have any issues with it PM me. If you aren't registered, email me at joshua@titansreport dot com. Thanks!

Love. It. Really nice. Some of the rollover menu text at the top isn't anti-aliasing in Chrome but that's just a minor technical glitch. Gun to my head, the user profile/Avatar section is a littl

Agreed on the avatars. I'll scale them down. The menu seems to cause some issues in some browsers according to browser shots. I may have to do something else with it.

Agreed on the avatars. I'll scale them down.

The menu seems to cause some issues in some browsers according to browser shots. I may have to do something else with it.

I cant use this new look site. Everything is too big and rollover menu at top doesn't work correctly. Sorry I'm not technical. Running Windows Vista using IE browser

I cant use this new look site. Everything is too big and rollover menu at top doesn't work correctly. Sorry I'm not technical. Running Windows Vista using IE browser

No problem. I'll take it down until it's done. The browser shots never showed up for some browsers. Which version of ie are you running? Go to your menu and click "about Internet explorer".

I like it until I click on a thread, and then there's just WAY too much empty space. Maybe my monitor and res cause that. I'm running at 1920x1080 on a 23 or 25 inch monitor (I can't remember which and don't feel like measuring it!). It ends up leaving a lot of space around posts, because it is maxing screen space. Maybe I'll play with the themes or something. I'm clearly in the minority on being bothered by this, though, so I'm not suggesting a change.

Understandable. I did work on minimizing it as much as I could. I assume you mean space under posts, correct? I may be able to do more. We'll see. Not too much left to do in that regard. If nothing else you can use the old one.

Stripped out the menu so it should be good now. I'll work on a other menu with drop downs that won't screw up so badly in older browser set-ups.

Guru,

I had some trouble getting into site tonight...I could make it as far as viewing the main page, but when I tried to enter any topic

I was getting an "SQL error message" ---said the problem was with my server---I've never seen the problem before....I went back in

several times---getting the same error---than finally I got right in and no problems so far...

Just wanted to bring this to your attention in case someone else may have a problem like this going forward...

(At first I thought it was just Cyrus messing with me...LOL...j/k)

dzooK.png

As promised. See, the server itself was down for around 20 minutes or so.

No problem. I'll take it down until it's done. The browser shots never showed up for some browsers. Which version of ie are you running? Go to your menu and click "about Internet explorer".

8.0.6 I did change back to two tone theme and can see everything now also whatever change you made on new version is ok now too

Thanks!

Edited by pamo9

Understandable. I did work on minimizing it as much as I could. I assume you mean space under posts, correct? I may be able to do more. We'll see. Not too much left to do in that regard. If nothing else you can use the old one.

Yes, that's what I meant. There's about 5 times more space than there is text (or anything else). Again, though, this will vary by settings, resolution, etc. as you know. I've just switched back to the old approach, so no worries. The new approach definitely looks very clean. It just didn't maximize space very well on my settings.

Yes, that's what I meant. There's about 5 times more space than there is text (or anything else). Again, though, this will vary by settings, resolution, etc. as you know. I've just switched back to the old approach, so no worries. The new approach definitely looks very clean. It just didn't maximize space very well on my settings.

What's interesting is that I had the same thought. Then when I went to compare and fix it, this actually has a pretty significantly (~20%) smaller space under the text. I think it's the light palette that gives the impression of more space. Maybe the very high resolution screen with the added fact that it's percentage based would account for it but I can't test that. I can see about adding a max width as well. That way it will only scale up to a point the same way it only scales down to a point.I bet we can find something that works or everyone.

EDIT: Ok, so I was able to test on a bigger monitor and think it's just caused by the fact that it is percentage based. I can probably find a stopping point where it wouldn't expand any further. I just want to pick the right number so it scales up some for guys with large monitors but not too much for guys on the very high scale like yourself.

Percentage based is great. I liked the smaller top header of the two tone blue theme. There is a lot of empty blue at the top of the screen, although I can understand if you want the TR logo bigger. Also, it seems like each post takes up quite a bit of vertical space.

I reduced the size of the header in the newest version. I'll push it out soon. I had it big with the idea of filling it in. I may just go with a feed there.

Okay, I think I have a fix for this. I am setting a max-width to something that will only impact the biggest monitors. The largest monitors that access the site are 1920 like yours. 93% of that allows for a whopping 1785.6 pixels. I've set the max-width for 1400px. This also impacts the second largest size of 1680 but only a little bit. It should eliminate the impossibly long sentence lines.

Okay, I think I have a fix for this. I am setting a max-width to something that will only impact the biggest monitors. The largest monitors that access the site are 1920 like yours. 93% of that allows for a whopping 1785.6 pixels. I've set the max-width for 1400px. This also impacts the second largest size of 1680 but only a little bit. It should eliminate the impossibly long sentence lines.

I'll add my opinion on this as I also run at 1920. Setting a maximum width isn't really the issue. For long posts, I want as much width as possible to fit as many posts on the screen as possible.

Reducing the width would reduce the whitespace by wrapping the text, but that really isn't the issue. The issue is that there is a minimum height for each post irrespective of post length. For example, if you go back to the first page of this topic and set the first post to the Cornrow Wallace "Looks awesome" post, I get three full posts on the screen with a bit of Jamal's post. With the two tone blue theme and the old vanilla percentage theme, I get almost all of the fourth post.

There really isn't a problem if there is lots of text in each post and when there is, you want as much width as possible. The problem is when there are a bunch of single line posts, the minimum amount of space needed for the avatars, moderator, two tone crew, writer, contributor, etc., on the left makes the amount of white space on the screen more than it was with the other two themes. Does that make sense?

One other thing, for people like me that don't have a custom avatar, the default is huge. And some of the custom ones are larger than others, maybe scale them all to a fixed height? Not sure that would reduce the minimum height required for a single line post though to help with what I'm talking about above.

I'll add my opinion on this as I also run at 1920. Setting a maximum width isn't really the issue. For long posts, I want as much width as possible to fit as many posts on the screen as possible.

Reducing the width would reduce the whitespace by wrapping the text, but that really isn't the issue. The issue is that there is a minimum height for each post irrespective of post length. For example, if you go back to the first page of this topic and set the first post to the Cornrow Wallace "Looks awesome" post, I get three full posts on the screen with a bit of Jamal's post. With the two tone blue theme and the old vanilla percentage theme, I get almost all of the fourth post.

There really isn't a problem if there is lots of text in each post and when there is, you want as much width as possible. The problem is when there are a bunch of single line posts, the minimum amount of space needed for the avatars, moderator, two tone crew, writer, contributor, etc., on the left makes the amount of white space on the screen more than it was with the other two themes. Does that make sense?

One other thing, for people like me that don't have a custom avatar, the default is huge. And some of the custom ones are larger than others, maybe scale them all to a fixed height? Not sure that would reduce the minimum height required for a single line post though to help with what I'm talking about above.

There is no set minimum height on post boxes.. That was actually the first thing I removed when starting the skin. The Vanilla version is percentage based but only 87% compared to 93% which gives you a container width of 1670 versus the 1785 you are getting here. The avatars being allowed to be different shapes was a style choice. They have a max width an height but that's all. The reason the default avatars seem bigger is because they fill the x and y max. Most avatars were set with the old limit and don't max out. I can possibly just have those scaled to 75% of the allowed space. The avatar size was increased from the previous skin from a max of 100px to a max of 125px. If I took the previous skin and allowed it to be percentage based you would have the same issue. This may be a case where using the old skin might be a better option if you don't like the way it reads after I get the new version out. That, or I can make a fixed width version of this same one as an option to give you a choice.

I'm not following the logic of why having more width requires a larger minimum height per post, which is what is happening. If there is no minimum height, what is it that causes a single line post take up so much vertical space? I don't see how it being percentage based or too wide affects that. The goal of percentage based should be more words per line, less lines per post and therefore more posts per page.

I'm not following the logic of why having more width requires a larger minimum height per post, which is what is happening. If there is no minimum height, what is it that causes a single line post take up so much vertical space? I don't see how it being percentage based or too wide affects that. The goal of percentage based should be more words per line, less lines per post and therefore more posts per page.

Corrected that after posting. I was pointing that out and then got temporarily lost in thought. Re read what is there now. You must have typed your reply as I was correcting it. Everything else I said stands. The font size was increased which explains the per page thing. I'm putting out the changes I said and that's it. I'm not going to rework the whole thing again when you can just select another option if it doesn't suit your specific tastes. I am making some changes but I just have to accept that I can't make everyone happy no matter how hard I try. I just can get as close as I possibly can.