Chadiha: Anonymous GM on Tannehill

Jamalisms

15 hours ago, titaninpgh said:

If you think this is bad, just imagine how insufferable The Discourse must have been on Ravens message boards during the days of "Is Flacco elite?"

Haha.  I've been reading this thread (bored at work).  Been laughing my ass off because you are spot on.  Sadly I think more threads on here have been dedicated to Tannehill being elite than we ever had for Flacco.  We all laughed at the Flacco being "elite" talk from the national media.  I think Flacco had more arm talent but RT is a overall better athlete which makes him pretty dangerous in your system.  I do think RT is a system QB, and a very good one.  

Now I'll let you debate if he is a "system" guy or not

??

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not only does this sound exactly right in that, if he gets on a hot streak, he's good enough to win a Super Bowl with, it's also exactly right that he is a product of his surroundings and he is not an

We literally have nothing surrounding him right now 

I'm just shocked that Tannehill isn't lighting it up throwing to the 4th-7th receivers on the team behind the 27th ranked pass blocking unit!

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, nine said:

Nobody has disputed this fact.

But you're waving it around as if this mild decline in Henry's efficiency was somehow holding back the offense despite his stellar production.   

Meanwhile the Titans' passing efficiency and production have consistently ranked in the bottom 10-15 offenses ever since week 1....but apparently you don't see this as a concern.

Where have I said that?  This is you projecting.  I've readily said the efficiency across the board is down and it's very apparent why it's been down.  But you grossly exaggerate how the season has gone offensively aside from the last two weeks. 

Henry's aggregate gains in yardage and TD's are tied to the additional carries he was getting.  In addition, Tannehill's rushing TD's in the RZ were also up.  RZ efficiency is down albeit not massively and while the rushing TD's are up, the passing ones are down - but let's not pretend that many of those scoring drives were where passing yards exceeded rushing yards.  Think the game tying drive at Seattle or the 2nd half scoring drives against Buffalo or the 1st half onslaught versus KC.

But if you really want to delve into the efficiency problems with the offense, it's largely been personnel driven and you should know this.

AJB and Jones have not been healthy and only a brief stretch saw them out there in tandem.  Not coincidentally, that was the best stretch in terms of the passing offense.  Shocking!  Johnson also only flashed in a couple of games before getting hurt again.  Top 3 weapons at WR - yes that has an impact.  Rogers, NWI, etc - role guys but not real threats especially in 1-3 roles.

The TE group has gone from a strength to a weakness.  Blocking and receiving wise.  Smith's value in the RZ/explosive receiver at times and as a blocker has not been replaced.  FWIW Smith led the team in RZ TD catches last year.  Meanwhile, Firkser has bombed out, Pruitt is inconsistent, and Swain was awful for a few games before turning it around.

OL - simply put, their blocking has regressed in the run game, albeit it looks to be turning around.  In pass blocking, they've been bad.  Real bad at times.  Hence the team is game planning around it, using more quick passes that impacts the vertical game.  And explosives when combined with the WR/TE issues.

Tannehill also has not played as well - inconsistent in ball placement accuracy and at times staring down receivers.  Of course, one does have to wonder how much the OL issues and receiver revolving door impact some of this but that's speculative.  I will say the transition to a quick passing game has seen more batted balls and that's also a concern.

In short, I'd say that only in the last 2 games did the passing game truly come crashing down and  that's largely on the personnel they are being forced to go on the field with.  And for the totality, it's simply a failure to go out there with the best players they intended to go with.  Brown, Jones, Johnson is a strong trio.  Titans are lucky to have one play and right now, none.

4 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

Where have I said that?  This is you projecting.  I've readily said the efficiency across the board is down and it's very apparent why it's been down.  But you grossly exaggerate how the season has gone offensively aside from the last two weeks. 

Henry's aggregate gains in yardage and TD's are tied to the additional carries he was getting.  In addition, Tannehill's rushing TD's in the RZ were also up.  RZ efficiency is down albeit not massively and while the rushing TD's are up, the passing ones are down - but let's not pretend that many of those scoring drives were where passing yards exceeded rushing yards.  Think the game tying drive at Seattle or the 2nd half scoring drives against Buffalo or the 1st half onslaught versus KC.

But if you really want to delve into the efficiency problems with the offense, it's largely been personnel driven and you should know this.

AJB and Jones have not been healthy and only a brief stretch saw them out there in tandem.  Not coincidentally, that was the best stretch in terms of the passing offense.  Shocking!  Johnson also only flashed in a couple of games before getting hurt again.  Top 3 weapons at WR - yes that has an impact.  Rogers, NWI, etc - role guys but not real threats especially in 1-3 roles.

The TE group has gone from a strength to a weakness.  Blocking and receiving wise.  Smith's value in the RZ/explosive receiver at times and as a blocker has not been replaced.  FWIW Smith led the team in RZ TD catches last year.  Meanwhile, Firkser has bombed out, Pruitt is inconsistent, and Swain was awful for a few games before turning it around.

OL - simply put, their blocking has regressed in the run game, albeit it looks to be turning around.  In pass blocking, they've been bad.  Real bad at times.  Hence the team is game planning around it, using more quick passes that impacts the vertical game.  And explosives when combined with the WR/TE issues.

Tannehill also has not played as well - inconsistent in ball placement accuracy and at times staring down receivers.  Of course, one does have to wonder how much the OL issues and receiver revolving door impact some of this but that's speculative.  I will say the transition to a quick passing game has seen more batted balls and that's also a concern.

In short, I'd say that only in the last 2 games did the passing game truly come crashing down and  that's largely on the personnel they are being forced to go on the field with.  And for the totality, it's simply a failure to go out there with the best players they intended to go with.  Brown, Jones, Johnson is a strong trio.  Titans are lucky to have one play and right now, none.

This is what idiots like Jamal don't get.  I'd add more but really you have it all covered.

19 minutes ago, Downtown said:

There's a misunderstanding in regards to the quality of O-Line play across the league. Its largely atrocious across the board. This isn't just a Titans specific issue. Its one reason why I don't like to see us getting too comfortable using that as an excuse for poor offensive performance. 

These metrics compare across the league though.  The Titans pass protection is grading the same as Seattle's.  Not good.

The bright side is that the run blocking is making headway.

1 minute ago, rns90 said:

Well on the pass blocking side Brewer can't be as shitty as Davis and maybe Lewan will get back to form.  That second one is more wishful thinking.

We have to blow up the O-Line regardless next season with Lewan and Saffold's cap hits versus production. It will likely be a Harold Landry vs. Taylor Lewan decision and we all know who has earned it. 

2 data points does not make a trend. But it is very concerning to me that we now have a matching result of offensive regression in 2 different places.  Looking back at Derek Carr's 2017 season you notice how it's much worse when Downing was the OC. He was fired after that one season for the offense sucking and Carr immediately improved. 

image.png.c56de6514d4a507537a1bdbce61e059a.png

Fast forward to 2021.... Tannehill has the worst rating of his career since year 2.... Coincidence? 

image.png.3bae0fe451fdd23df9953af86b353c39.png

Edited by Supdawg

12 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

BTW it's laughable that now Henry broke his foot against KC.  Never on the injury report for it prior to Indy.....

I bet he secretly broke his foot against Baltimore last year in the playoffs too!

Henry was treated the week after the KC game for an undisclosed injury.  I mentioned it during the KC game that something looked off.   What was the undisclosed injury?  IDK.  He looked off again in the next game, same problem running straight ahead.  I do know that after the Colts game was completed they said his foot was broken.

Why haven't you called?:31_neutral_face:

Let's FaceTime and rewatch the KC game?

41 minutes ago, Ratbird said:

Haha.  I've been reading this thread (bored at work).  Been laughing my ass off because you are spot on.  Sadly I think more threads on here have been dedicated to Tannehill being elite than we ever had for Flacco.  We all laughed at the Flacco being "elite" talk from the national media.  I think Flacco had more arm talent but RT is a overall better athlete which makes him pretty dangerous in your system.  I do think RT is a system QB, and a very good one.  

Now I'll let you debate if he is a "system" guy or not

??

I didn't think Flacco was elite but he was in that tier below that and you could win with him if you put the right team around him.  And that's what more or less happened in 2012.

also this place has a lot more idiots and trolls (including mods!) than the Ravens forum that has been mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Henry was treated the week after the KC game for an undisclosed injury.  I mentioned it during the KC game that something looked off.   What was the undisclosed injury?  IDK.  He looked off again in the next game, same problem running straight ahead.  I do know that after the Colts game was completed they said his foot was broken.

Why haven't you called?:31_neutral_face:

Let's FaceTime and rewatch the KC game?

He was not on the injury report.  DNP rest was the designation.  Are you really claiming that the Titans trotted him out for 2 games on a broken foot?  Really?