Playoff Watch Week 12: How the Houston Loss Affects the #1 Seed

Jonboy

1 minute ago, scine09 said:

They didn't need to.  Kind of like what the Titans do sometimes when they are up big.

Well the front 7 is going to have to come up big then.  I'm trying to figure out a way they can be efficient of offense and can't really see it, especially if they continue to give Peterson carries.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly, the loss yesterday hurts, but it didn't completely destroy our chances for the top seed. If the Titans were relatively healthy, you'd still feel pretty good about their chances. With the inj

NE clearly has the upper hand for Sunday because of the injuries but I'll say that much like the Bills, I'm not convinced of how good they really are.  Their best wins are Cleveland and the Chargers -

Even though the Titans have played their toughest games on paper, they are so beat up that as yesterday proved, they can now lose to any team.

2 hours ago, SleepingTitan said:

Chargers will be the biggest competition for that #1 seed. 

I agree based on their schedule.

22 minutes ago, rns90 said:

They did nothing in the second half on offense.  Whomever said the Chargers is the biggest threat is wrong.  They have a tendency to blow games in the most weirdest of ways and their D isn't good at all.

Like us against KC?  We typically only get one good half of play from the Titans, so I wasn't worried at halftime against Houston.  Then, of course, we didn't get any good half of play...lol.

31 minutes ago, IowaOiler said:

Like us against KC?  We typically only get one good half of play from the Titans, so I wasn't worried at halftime against Houston.  Then, of course, we didn't get any good half of play...lol.

I felt okay at halftime, but then had that immediate sense of dread when Rogers botched the punt.

59 minutes ago, rns90 said:

They did nothing in the second half on offense.  Whomever said the Chargers is the biggest threat is wrong.  They have a tendency to blow games in the most weirdest of ways and their D isn't good at all.

The AFC teams are just so flawed across the board. KC is probably the most complete team if they can sort out their issues. As I mentioned previously though, they'd likely need to finish at least a full game ahead of all the contenders because of the key H2H games they've lost already.

2 hours ago, tgo said:

OTOH, 

We should get several starters back this week, including Swaim and Davis and potentially Rabbit. AJB may be back. Long and R Evans are possibilities too. 

Only problem is that doesn't include Derrick Henry, Julio Jones, nor Bud Dupree.......

With Davis having multiple concussion in a short period I wouldn't be at all surprised if he sits until after the bye, Swaim also has a troubling concussion history throughout his career and this time around it seems like the concussion symptoms didn't show up till mid week (wasn't on Wednesday's injury report) so it will be interesting to see whether he participates in practice this Wednesday as if he doesn't he isn't playing against the Patriots.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

31 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

The AFC teams are just so flawed across the board. KC is probably the most complete team if they can sort out their issues. As I mentioned previously though, they'd likely need to finish at least a full game ahead of all the contenders because of the key H2H games they've lost already.

Well, we have a ton of talent in the AFC, but all the talent is going to break against each other in a quest for the playoffs in a grueling 17 game schedule. 

At least for us, we've just came out of our tough stretch with a bye in sight. Our record is quite remarkable considering. All these other teams have yet to go through the gauntlet. GOOD LUCK MADAPHACKAZZZZZ

2 hours ago, rns90 said:

I don't think a team can win it all with a hole in the middle of their D like LAC.

1 hour ago, SleepingTitan said:

Well, we have a ton of talent in the AFC, but all the talent is going to break against each other in a quest for the playoffs in a grueling 17 game schedule. 

At least for us, we've just came out of our tough stretch with a bye in sight. Our record is quite remarkable considering. All these other teams have yet to go through the gauntlet. GOOD LUCK MADAPHACKAZZZZZ

Even though the Titans have played their toughest games on paper, they are so beat up that as yesterday proved, they can now lose to any team.

5 minutes ago, ctm said:

I'd rather be beaten up right now facing a weak schedule that getting beat up against tougher opponents right before the playoffs. 

Alot of the top teams are going to be swiss cheese after the next 5 games right before the playoffs. Some have already had their bye weeks.

5 hours ago, scine09 said:

The Chargers?  I don't see it.  To me it's NE.  That's why this Sunday is so important.

I'd still put Buffalo ahead of the Chargers, who just barely beat the Steelers last night. NE and KC may be the best in the AFC right now, both at 7-4.

8 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Honestly, the loss yesterday hurts, but it didn't completely destroy our chances for the top seed. If the Titans were relatively healthy, you'd still feel pretty good about their chances. With the injury situation being what it is, I think that's honestly way more of a concern than what the other teams are doing. Alas, I need some cathartic exercise today to move past that loss so this thread will focus purely on the numbers and how things are shaping up for other teams around us in the AFC.

Technically, the Titans are still the favorites, but all of that could change this week with a massive game in New England. The Titans are now tied in the loss column with Baltimore and then have six(!) other 4 loss teams lurking right behind them. The cushion we'd built with our outstanding streak will have all but evaporated if we drop 2 straight. A Patriots win vs the Titans on Sunday would open the door for Baltimore to claim the top spot and fully control their own destiny if they manage to take down the Browns. It would also leave a massive logjam of 4-loss teams with multiple tie breakers coming into play (have fun, @scine09).

A Titans loss combined with a Colts win (vs TB) would suddenly give the Titans the added pressure of needing to fend off Indy just to hold the division title. Of course, the Titans swept Indy in the division series so the Colts would need to finish a full game ahead of the Titans to take the South.

Here's where the contenders currently stand.

Tennessee Titans (8-3)

Key H2H Wins: Bills, Chiefs, Colts x2

Key H2H Losses: None

Conference Record: 5-2

Remaining Schedule: @ Patriots, Jags, @ Steelers, 49ers, Dolphins, and @ Texans

Baltimore Ravens (7-3)

Key H2H Wins: Chiefs, Chargers, Colts

Key H2H Losses: Bengals, Raiders

Conference Record: 4-3

Remaining Schedule: Browns, @ Steelers, @ Browns, Packers, @ Bengals, Rams, Steelers

New England Patriots (7-4)

Key H2H Wins: Chargers, Browns

Key H2H Losses: None

Conference Record: 5-1

Remaining Schedule: Titans, @ Bills, @ Colts, Bills, Jags, @ Dolphins

Kansas City Chiefs (7-4)

Key H2H Wins: Raiders, Browns

Key H2H Losses: Ravens, Chargers, Bills, Titans

Conference Record: 2-4

Remaining Schedule: Broncos, Raiders, @ Chargers, Steelers, @ Bengals, @ Broncos

Cincinnati Bengals (6-4)

Key H2H Wins: Steelers, Ravens, Raiders

Key H2H Losses: Browns

Conference Record: 4-2

Remaining Schedule: @ Saints, Patriots, @ Bucs, Panthers, @ Patriots, Falcons, Jets

Los Angeles Chargers (6-4)

Key H2H Wins: Chiefs, Raiders, Steelers, Browns

Key H2H Losses: Ravens, Patriots

Conference Record: 4-2

Remaining Schedule: @ Broncos, @ Bengals, Giants, Chiefs, @ Texans, Broncos, @ Raiders

Buffalo Bills (6-4)

Key H2H Wins: Chiefs

Key H2H Losses: Titans, Steelers, Colts

Conference Record: 5-4

Remaining Schedule: @ Saints, Patriots, @ Bucs, Panthers, @ Patriots, Falcons, Jets

Others in the conversation: Steelers (5-4-1), Colts (6-5), Browns (6-5), Raiders (5-5), & Broncos (5-5)

All in all, the contenders still have some tough schedules ahead with multiple games against each other. The Chiefs have started to figure things out but have a tough hole to dig out of with their key H2H losses and very poor conference record. It's pretty crazy to look at because all of these teams are so flawed. Will someone get hot and run away with it or will we see pandemonium the final week of the season with multiple tie breakers coming into play?

The Titans are likely the clear-cut favorites if they find a way to knock off NE. If NE wins though, it's likely going to be chaos because I don't see Baltimore running the table with the schedule they have left.

Why talk about upcoming favorites matchups when you can have a segment called c'mon man?