Jump to content

The issue the midterms will hinge on (supply chain issues)


Recommended Posts

“It’s the economy, stupid”.

 

Biden needs to get the economy back working more or less like normal. He needs to get people feeling like the country isn’t a mess.

 

He got off to a good start this week by helping broker a deal to get the port of LA to shift to 24/7 work to start dealing with a massive backlog of ships. The supply chain being out of whack is a big part of it.

 

But I fear he (and the government in general) really doesn’t have much control of the issue. It’s mostly something that would only be sorted out by “the invisible hand of the market”. Corporate profit motive drives cost increases which drives inflation higher. And unless wages go up, most people are going to feel that inflation in their wallets.
 

But that same profit motive keeps wages low. And it also keeps unemployment artificially high because people don’t want to take jobs they are being underpaid for. And as long as businesses are short staffed, consumers will have to deal with delays in service.

 

Basically, people are angry. Angry people tend to vote against the incumbent (or his party). Biden needs to either make people happy for find a way to spin that anger and focus it on the Republicans (but that’s a hard sell).

Edited by Starkiller
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no worker shortage. There is a wage shortage. Workers have more power now then anytime in my life. People aren't settling for shit pay anymore and businesses haven't caught on.   Ca

Remember, don't vote in the midterms or 2024 if they don't make Trump the 2020 winner

@El Guapo Literally a big part of the reason for the worker shortage in the US is they are deporting way too many people. The more they deport nonviolent undocumented immigrants, the more the economy

Posted Images

I will say this: the two Dem bills in Congress will help everyday people, but they will likely contribute to the runaway inflation problem. I hope a big element of it is still transitory but I’m starting to get concerned. 
 

Rent, food, energy costs are going to continue to soar and it is going to price a lot of people out. 

Edited by tgo
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not just the economy. You are ignoring hundreds of thousands let in through our border, while insisting citizens need vaccine to function in society. You have rising violent crime while his party is associated with defund the police. You have rising dangers abroad with no real answer. You have big tech trying to control information to help Democrats. You have Democrats insisting they know better what to teach your children. You have people being fired for not wanting the vaccine while a year ago when there was no vaccine coming to work and continue piloting, nursing, etc. to risk of their lives because it was their duty and job. You have people payed to stay at home and businesses failing because they have no workers. You have energy policies that are so stupid that prices costs are rising everywhere. And the economy sucks on top of that. You have Democrat politicians following the utmost stupid woke policies trying to tear down history. You have gender politics which are absurd and ignore science, something your side claimed to monopolize. And since your side has largely been stopped from allowing unverifiable ballots, you have nothing else. Progressive policies suck and there will be a reckoning soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Not just the economy. You are ignoring hundreds of thousands let in through our border, while insisting citizens need vaccine to function in society. You have rising violent crime while his party is associated with defund the police. You have rising dangers abroad with no real answer. You have big tech trying to control information to help Democrats. You have Democrats insisting they know better what to teach your children. You have people being fired for not wanting the vaccine while a year ago when there was no vaccine coming to work and continue piloting, nursing, etc. to risk of their lives because it was their duty and job. You have people payed to stay at home and businesses failing because they have no workers. You have energy policies that are so stupid that prices costs are rising everywhere. And the economy sucks on top of that. You have Democrat politicians following the utmost stupid woke policies trying to tear down history. You have gender politics which are absurd and ignore science, something your side claimed to monopolize. And since your side has largely been stopped from allowing unverifiable ballots, you have nothing else. Progressive policies suck and there will be a reckoning soon.

Turn off the Fox News BS…

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WG53 said:

There is no worker shortage. There is a wage shortage. Workers have more power now then anytime in my life. People aren't settling for shit pay anymore and businesses haven't caught on.

 

Can't hire people for you job's shitty wage? Guess what? You gotta increase wages.

It’s simple supply and demand. You’d think a capitalist would catch on…

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I’ll tell you what. Lets revisit this in 22 and lets see who is out of touch. 


Going along with the crowd doesn’t make you right. Republicans will win in 2022 and their anti immigrant fervor is the stuff of fascist uprisings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, tgo said:


Going along with the crowd doesn’t make you right. Republicans will win in 2022 and their anti immigrant fervor is the stuff of fascist uprisings. 

It’s strange to watch. I wish the government would actually force the top .1% to pay taxes. It’s been proven now through 100’s of thousands of banking records that the wealthiest people in the world don’t pay taxes. They’ve even admitted it out loud. 
 

That money could be used for small businesses and lower taxes on the exact people Guapo is talking about.
 

Then not admitting what happened on Jan 6th is a step too far for me. All of us can disagree on policies, but I watched that shit live on TV. Those people were out for blood, were coordinated, had backup with rifles, and were attempting to overthrow our government. Not all of them of course, but several thousand were definitely coordinated in obstructing the transition of the presidency. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Starkiller changed the title to The issue the midterms will hinge on (supply chain issues)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...