Titans Sign Avery Williamson

tgo

2 hours ago, Alcibiades said:

I'd be surprised if Williamson replaced Evans this week, but only because he just joined the team. However, he'll be the backup, and I think he'll get some snaps. If you watch the big run the Jags got against us Sunday, Evans basically just takes himself out of the play. It was the damndest thing. Instead of staying in his gap, where the RB ultimately went, he decided to run at the closest pile of OL he could find and get caught up in the wash. Perhaps he was trying to hit the other gap, but that's right where Long already was! It made zero sense.

I know people sometimes joke about how you could put a trash can out there and do better, but in this case it is literally true. If a trash can had been set where Evans started the play, it would have slowed the RB down more, because at least he would have had to go around it or something. Instead, Evans cleared the lane for him. I don't know what's going on in his head right now, but it's awful. He diagnosis plays worse than just about any starting LB I've ever seen.

I think the way they ran the play was setup purposefully to take advantage of Evans being an over aggressive meathead. Robinson does a really slight stutter on his first step after taking the handoff so instead of playing his role he read counter (which happens maybe 1 out of 25 runs out of shotgun)and decided to try and be a hero. The counter play is for Long to read. Evans role is always to be the strong side, especially against shotgun runs. He’s awful.

I said a ham sandwich would be better a few days back talking about this exact play. I think you’re giving him too much credit by needing the trash can which could at least be in the way. The ham sandwich wouldn’t be in the way at all, but at least the other 10 on the field would know that. Can’t be letting the rest of our defense get greedy by putting a trash can out there. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL at posting a single period just to get the jump, you sneaky man!

Remember him?    Far better player than Rashaan Evans, just athletically limited. 

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

He makes that position look impossible to play.

I can’t believe they keep putting him out there. I can’t think of a good play he’s made since the playoffs in 19. I can think of a ton of terrible plays where he left the rest of the defense high and dry because he simply refused to cover his assignment.

No one is even asking him to be serviceable against the pass…yet he’s somehow complete dog shit against the run. He’s the worst LB in the NFL and it isn’t close because of how many snaps he continues to get every week. 

13 minutes ago, rns90 said:

Pretty sure on most of the big runs vs the Titans, Evans either just fucked up the assignment  and vacated the area he was supposed to be in or he's off doing something else. 

I don't know how they can watch the tape and think that Evans is the best option.

I seriously can’t explain it. I wish nine was still doing his weekly breakdowns. That Robinson run is textbook high school reads. It would have been different, I guess, if he saw the slight stutter and hesitated leaving him a split second late. The fucker just crashes into the line for no reason whatsoever.

Having a guy who is physically limited and can get pushed out of the right place is rough on a defense. Having a guy who takes himself out of at least 7-10 plays for no other reason than missing simple run keys is completely different. The former can be adjusted for and helped. The latter is a gaping hole. 

Reminds me of a play in the Colts game where Evans was so far off on his keys on a run to Hyndes that Long came all the way across and made the tackle on Evans side of the field. We are talking about a simple zone play where Evans wasn’t boxed out or anything he was just completely lost. 

3 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I seriously can’t explain it. I wish nine was still doing his weekly breakdowns. That Robinson run is textbook high school reads. It would have been different, I guess, if he saw the slight stutter and hesitated leaving him a split second late. The fucker just crashes into the line for no reason whatsoever.

Having a guy who is physically limited and can get pushed out of the right place is rough on a defense. Having a guy who takes himself out of at least 7-10 plays for no other reason than missing simple run keys is completely different. The former can be adjusted for and helped. The latter is a gaping hole. 

Reminds me of a play in the Colts game where Evans was so far off on his keys on a run to Hyndes that Long came all the way across and made the tackle on Evans side of the field. We are talking about a simple zone play where Evans wasn’t boxed out or anything he was just completely lost. 

I promise that you can find college tape of Evans diagnosing quickly, attacking the blocker's correct shoulder, shedding the blocker, and then making the tackle. I really don't know what happened to this guy. Usually I have some idea but I'm stumped on how he's regressed so severely.

Just now, Mythos27 said:

I promise that you can find college tape of Evans diagnosing quickly, attacking the blocker's correct shoulder, shedding the blocker, and then making the tackle. I really don't know what happened to this guy. Usually I have some idea but I'm stumped on how he's regressed so severely.

Exactly. There was also progression in these areas in 18 and 19. He was a liability at times, but he wasn’t anything like this. Last year when Pees left I thought maybe they had overly complicated it for him a bit. Maybe that was the case and he’s completely lost confidence. This year though it’s easy to tell they have simplified his keys and he’s not only flat out missing them he’s not even holding to his side and gap. He’s a downhill LB playing in a react defense.

It isn’t an excuse, because even if he doesn’t fit the scheme the shit he’s missing should easily be corrected by now because of its simplicity with what they’re asking him to do as the SILB, but he isn’t a read LB.

Hold your gap, read strong side FB in 21, strong side TE in 12 plus first step from RB, and maintain gap inside out. Push all running plays outside and if either of your two gaps are hit directly then make the stop for 2-5 yards. What they’re asking to do is textbook high school level reads from what I’ve seen. 

2 hours ago, rns90 said:

Is it fair to blame Hasslett on some of this ?  Most of the LB play has been pretty bad since he’s been here.

The problem is that he's doing shit that high school linebackers don't do. He doesn't consistently do something as simple as attacking the correct shoulder of the blocker on run plays. He's completely abandoning his gap to cut underneath the blocker taking himself completely out of the play in the process. It's insane and no one at any level coaches this shit.

To me it's like watching a corner try to cover a receiver by never opening his hips and staying in his backpedal the entire play; no one taught you that and you look fucking ridiculous. His coaches should be embarrassed the he is a reflection of them. I'd bench just so people wouldn't think I didn't know what I was doing as a coach. 

3 hours ago, rns90 said:

Is it fair to blame Hasslett on some of this ?  Most of the LB play has been pretty bad since he’s been here.

I blame Haslett for pumping up how good Evans is when clearly he sucks. And I could probably blame him for them still starting Evans. But I don’t think Haslett is somehow making him worse.

Edited by Starkiller

4 hours ago, rns90 said:

Absolutely - the loss of Tyrone McKenize killed Evans development and to a smaller extent, it also affected Jayon’s development as well.

It was talked about how much he worked with those guys and Long and how much extra time he spent with them to ensure they understood the defense. Losing Pees also played a part in it as well.

The only thing I can think of, and I was a big fan of the pick, is that it he's an emotional guy who feeds off and tries to create energy off of big plays on defense and is trying too hard to constantly make the big highlight play by guessing; he's probably watched too many of his own goaline replay highlights.