Gruden Stepping Down as Raiders Coach

AJClown

11 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

It's a vicious cycle. When you live in poverty you tend to live off the government, By doing so, you have to have a lot of kids and not be married to collect food stamps, etc. I read

Looking at the Mean amounts of $180k for white vs $30k for black, it’s pretty safe to assume a portion of that $150k shortfall is related to home equity. I’d be all for a new govt subsidized loan program available only to African Americans or minorities. Something like FAnnie Mae on steroids. Low or no down payments, lower credit thresholds, etc. I realize this is probably, “discriminatory,” but it would at least help bridge the gap some. And anything that strengthens the housing market i’m all for. 

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

?

Well racists, sexists, and homophobes often get caught saying lots of racist, sexist, and homophobic shit. The rest of us do not because we just don’t have any reason to say racist, sexist, or homopho

Dumbass put it all in email. 

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, MikeKeith2020 said:

Looking at the Mean amounts of $180k for white vs $30k for black, it’s pretty safe to assume a portion of that $150k shortfall is related to home equity. I’d be all for a new govt subsidized loan program available only to African Americans or minorities. Something like FAnnie Mae on steroids. Low or no down payments, lower credit thresholds, etc. I realize this is probably, “discriminatory,” but it would at least help bridge the gap some. And anything that strengthens the housing market i’m all for. 

We do have some forms of this already, but it's an economic gate, not a racial one. I think we should go even further. There's a clear causal line drawn from slavery to poverty. I don't think we should outright pay cash for reparations, but the government should do a program like you mentioned but also give a down payment, direct equity, in addition to the subsidized loan. 

The cost of a $5000 down payment per African American (41M) would be about $205B. Check my math, but that's pennies compared to what they've endured. To calculate the present value of that investment given the state of the black population would require a lot of data analysis -- which in and of itself is sad. 

11 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

We do have some forms of this already, but it's an economic gate, not a racial one. I think we should go even further. There's a clear causal line drawn from slavery to poverty. I don't think we should outright pay cash for reparations, but the government should do a program like you mentioned but also give a down payment, direct equity, in addition to the subsidized loan. 

The cost of a $5000 down payment per African American (41M) would be about $205B. Check my math, but that's pennies compared to what they've endured. To calculate the present value of that investment given the state of the black population would require a lot of data analysis -- which in and of itself is sad. 

I’ll write Marsha Blackburn and get her to start drafting something up. Maybe we can just replace this with the $225B for paid family leave . ?

jk that’s a discussion for another forum. Seriously though, I’m  all for making home ownership more of a priority, especially when it comes to lowering the disparities. 

9 minutes ago, MikeKeith2020 said:

I’ll write Marsha Blackburn and get her to start drafting something up. Maybe we can just replace this with the $225B for paid family leave . ?

jk that’s a discussion for another forum. Seriously though, I’m  all for making home ownership more of a priority, especially when it comes to lowering the disparities. 

Maybe we should start a thread. I don't personally believe systemic racism is cause for current black plight, but racism in the past certainly is. We have a poverty problem in America, and a large portion of it is due to racism -- especially withholding educational opportunities and home ownership from previous black generations. Current white Americans get those privileges en masse. That's why we have the middle class. It wasn't even a thing before WW2. Essentially, black people are asked to make it without any of the advantages that white parents can currently pass on to their white kids.

And hell yeah the government owes black people for that. Maybe not enough cigarettes for their families for the rest of their lives, but certainly home ownership and affirmative action in education. 

13 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

That's why we have the middle class. It wasn't even a thing before WW2. 

I would just rephrase that to, 'before FDR's economic policies slashed inequality, giving workers more power and a larger share of the income, that lasted until Reagan began reversing them'.

7 minutes ago, unauthorizedcinnamon said:

I would just rephrase that to, 'before FDR's economic policies slashed inequality, giving workers more power and a larger share of the income, that lasted until Reagan began reversing them'.

That's a common misconception. Boomers experienced the greatest economy in the history of the world because the war flushed industries with cash used for expansion and hiring. Lower class people were given the opportunity for housing due to massive developments of suburbs and government assistance. The GI Bill helped people go to college as a first generation college student. It took decades for prices to match the new buying power of the middle class, so a family could afford a house, a car, and still have money to save and invest for retirement without much sacrifice. 

Blacks were largely left out of this expansion by clauses in developments that prevented black ownership because they thought it would reduce property values. They were denied entrance to college and voting through standardized tests and hoops they couldn't jump through. And not to mention that they were given the shittiest jobs and denied management across the board. 

Edited by SleepingTitan

1 hour ago, JoelinBellevue said:

So it can happen to anyone that doesn't WANT to improve themselves. 

Which is a completely different conversation to be had. 

Of course every demographic can be in poverty, but if you are even remotely implying that motivation is the definitive cause (compared to some cause for some people) then that's on you and there's honestly not even a place to start having a real discussion.

1 hour ago, LongTimeFan said:

Sorry dude. You just want to justify some people using a word that is horrid to appease some guilt you have. 

What guilt you idiot? You don't know anything about my background or where I come from. It's pathetic that the only way you can understand other people showing cultural respect is if there is some sort of guilt attached. How about you just listen to what those people are saying instead of running your ignorant ass up. You're just trying to find a way to justify your burning desire to say the n-word and control black people's behavior. Beat it your culturally illiterate hack.

15 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

What guilt you idiot? You don't know anything about my background or where I come from. It's pathetic that the only way you can understand other people showing cultural respect is if there is some sort of guilt attached. How about you just listen to what those people are saying instead of running your ignorant ass up. You're just trying to find a way to justify your burning desire to say the n-word and control black people's behavior. Beat it your culturally illiterate hack.

You know nothing about me, except perhaps I am financially secure, and yet you claim that I am a racist who wants to use the n-word.

"The Mythos27 doth protest too much, methinks"

51 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

And hell yeah the government owes black people for that. Maybe not enough cigarettes for their families for the rest of their lives, but certainly home ownership and affirmative action in education. 

Nope. You simply cannot undo a past injustice to folks that never experienced that injustice. Unless of course you want more TRumps.

52 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

I don't personally believe systemic racism is cause for current black plight, but racism in the past certainly is.

Because of past inequities wealth was not acquired and passed down in the black culture. They most certainly are on more than a fair playing field today.

I think you are trying to fix a class problem by calling it a race problem.

Fixing it as a race issue will not solve it because it will create a hole where others will fill and 25-50 years down the road the same challenge comes back with the same or different group and it will be worse.

1 minute ago, LongTimeFan said:

You know nothing about me, except perhaps I am financially secure, and yet you claim that I am a racist who wants to use the n-word.

"The Mythos27 doth protest too much, methinks"

I know you're white because of your constant white grievance propaganda and you certainly behave like someone with a burning desire to either say the word himself or police black people's speech and inject his unwanted opinion. The majority of this board is white and they are able to communicate on issues of race and culture with some dignity and respect. Maybe try that if you don't want people to assume things about you. You made yourself look really bad in our exchange and I hope you can look back at it and see that. If you can't, have a black friend read our exchange and have them tell you how they think you came off. Maybe actually listening to a black person for a change and respecting what they say to you might help.

34 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

That's a common misconception. Boomers experienced the greatest economy in the history of the world because the war flushed industries with cash used for expansion and hiring. Lower class people were given the opportunity for housing due to massive developments of suburbs and government assistance. The GI Bill helped people go to college as a first generation college student. It took decades for prices to match the new buying power of the middle class, so a family could afford a house, a car, and still have money to save and invest for retirement without much sacrifice. 

Blacks were largely left out of this expansion by clauses in developments that prevented black ownership because they thought it would reduce property values. They were denied entrance to college and voting through standardized tests and hoops they couldn't jump through. And not to mention that they were given the shittiest jobs and denied management across the board. 

That's a common misconception, that understates the role of FDR's economic changes. The war did play some role; but it was a lesson that massive borrowing and debt like never seen before, *even when just a bit went to jobs and incomes* and it was massively literally just blown up in warplanes, warships, tanks, bombs and bullets, STILL had a great economic benefit, suggesting how much it could help the economy if spent on useful things.

Of course your point on the history of discrimination against blacks is right, I didn't say anything about that, just the clarification on FDR's economic policies versus the war.

Just now, Mythos27 said:

I know you're white because of your constant white grievance propaganda and you certainly behave like someone with a burning desire to either say the word himself or police black people's speech and inject his unwanted opinion. The majority of this board is white and they are able to communicate on issues of race and culture with some dignity and respect. Maybe try that if you don't want people to assume things about you. You made yourself look really bad in our exchange and I hope you can look back at it and see that. If you can't, have a black friend read our exchange and have them tell you how they think you came off. Maybe actually listening to a black person for a change and respecting what they say to you might help.

Because I am white I don't have many black friends? See how stupid you are.

None of my white, Hispanic, Asian or black friends use the n-word.  It's dumb asses like you that want to give one race a pass on the usage of the word. You're not being woke, you're being stupid.

1 minute ago, LongTimeFan said:

Because I am white I don't have many black friends? See how stupid you are.

None of my white, Hispanic, Asian or black friends use the n-word.  It's dumb asses like you that want to give one race a pass on the usage of the word. You're not being woke, you're being stupid.

You idiot. Why would I ask you to share our exchange with a black friend if I was assuming you didn't have any? Do you actually read what people post or are you too caught up with formulating your corny gotcha to understand what is being said? 

That's great that your friends don't use that word; they have that choice. Other people of color make a different choice and in both cases it's none of your business. Accept it and move on. You're not the arbiter of black speech.