Just curious - how many Bukowski fans we got here?

chef

Whether poetry or prose.

I would hope @OILERMAN at least read Post Office.  I should re-read it.  Been 30+ years.

This poem alone could become a TR thematic.  Perhaps required watching for all new accounts.

8 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I'm familiar and have listened to the first part of the book 

Never heard it as audiobook.  Bet it would work pretty well.  

Went through Bukowski phase early 90s.  Post Office 1st which really was quite an eye opener.  I recall reading Women and Ham on Rye.    Never read much of his poetry back then.  This thing just caught my eye last night.  Youtube surprisingly good format to convey his works.

On 9/28/2021 at 4:03 PM, SleepingTitan said:

I love Bukowski. I wonder sometimes how good his writing could have been had he sobered up. 

And just think how much funnier Cheech and Chong would have been if they weren't stoned.  Hat tip to Michael Scott...

On 9/25/2021 at 3:24 PM, chef said:

Never heard it as audiobook.  Bet it would work pretty well.  

Went through Bukowski phase early 90s.  Post Office 1st which really was quite an eye opener.  I recall reading Women and Ham on Rye.    Never read much of his poetry back then.  This thing just caught my eye last night.  Youtube surprisingly good format to convey his works.

Read "Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame".  Very good, although most of his poetry is.  The prose can be hit or miss, although you're really only missing "Factotum" from your list.

Whenever I see "Oilerman" in a thread I always think of "Post Office".  Pretty certain that's accurate for most posties.

Have you ever read any John Fante?  The Bandini books.

9 hours ago, chef said:

Not familiar.   Should I be?

Definitely, if you're a fan of Bukowski.  Bukowski always talked about Fante's influence: "Fante's work and style have influenced similar authors such as Charles Bukowski, who stated in his introduction to Ask the Dust that 'Fante was my god'." [Wikipedia]  Bukowski's use of Chinaski sort of mirrors Fante's Bandini.  If anything I think Fante is bleaker and more despairing; definitely a side of LA that most have never imagined (not that I myself know jack shit about LA other than what we see in movies).

Give him a go, be interested to hear what you think.

1 hour ago, CharrdWood said:

Definitely, if you're a fan of Bukowski.  Bukowski always talked about Fante's influence: "Fante's work and style have influenced similar authors such as Charles Bukowski, who stated in his introduction to Ask the Dust that 'Fante was my god'." [Wikipedia]  Bukowski's use of Chinaski sort of mirrors Fante's Bandini.  If anything I think Fante is bleaker and more despairing; definitely a side of LA that most have never imagined (not that I myself know jack shit about LA other than what we see in movies).

Give him a go, be interested to hear what you think.

Thanks.  May be a spell before able, but will.

Archived