Texans fans in shambles: Oiler legends so thankful to be part of the Titans

Just now, scine09 said:

Why should they be mad?  It's a completely different franchise.  The Houston Oilers are also the Tennessee Titans.  Not the Houston Texans.

Maybe if they'd have supported the franchise more in the early to mid 90s it wouldn't have come to this.

They just want the sick ass unis.

Just now, TheBukafax said:

They just want the sick ass unis.

Imagine rooting for a team that had the uniforms that the Houston Oilers did, for my money the best uniforms in the league, to rooting for a team that has the uniforms that the Houston Texans have, arguably the worst in the league?

15 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I'm from Houston and loved the Oilers. Fuck that shitty ass fan base for giving up on them in early 90s, fuck Mayor Lanier, and fuck the Astros and rockets owners too. They manged to get new state of the art facilities within a few years of the Oilers leaving and lets not forget the ultimate insult, the awarding of the Texans franchise to Houston along with Reliant Field.

This is probably the best writeup I've seen on what led to the Oilers relocating to Nashville.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/spoils-sports/

Damn straight I'm still bitter. 

Bud didn't help his cause over the years with the meddling and threatening to move a couple of times but at the end of the day, he was exactly right about the team needing a new stadium.

Tell me what the Texans organization has done to embrace former Oliers? Zilch. Why? Because they disenfranchised the team history and the players. Former Oiler players appreciate being remembered for what they did on the field. It takes more than uniforms to be able to claim ownership of the Oilers. All Oiler fans are welcome to come aboard instead of harboring hard feelings and carrying a grudge. Cuss Mayor Lanier if they want to be mad at somebody.

1 hour ago, freakingeek said:

Tell me what the Texans organization has done to embrace former Oliers? Zilch. Why? Because they disenfranchised the team history and the players. Former Oiler players appreciate being remembered for what they did on the field. It takes more than uniforms to be able to claim ownership of the Oilers. All Oiler fans are welcome to come aboard instead of harboring hard feelings and carrying a grudge. Cuss Mayor Lanier if they want to be mad at somebody.

The Texans treated Bum very well there before he passed. Of course, it was certainly in their best interest. As much as Earl was loved, Bum was right there, too, in popularity and reppin' late 70s Houston: equal parts neuvo riche progressive (petro dollars) + good ol boys + Dallas angst.

2 hours ago, oldschool said:

I'm from Houston and loved the Oilers. Fuck that shitty ass fan base for giving up on them in early 90s, fuck Mayor Lanier, and fuck the Astros and rockets owners too. They manged to get new state of the art facilities within a few years of the Oilers leaving and lets not forget the ultimate insult, the awarding of the Texans franchise to Houston along with Reliant Field.

This is probably the best writeup I've seen on what led to the Oilers relocating to Nashville.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/spoils-sports/

Damn straight I'm still bitter. 

The kicker is when McMullen decided he was going to flirt with Louisville to move the Astros. 

6 hours ago, freakingeek said:

Tell me what the Texans organization has done to embrace former Oliers? Zilch. Cuss Mayor Lanier if they want to be mad at somebody.

I remember going to some games early in the Texans existence and there would be a few fans with helmets or jerseys that were half Oilers and half Texans.

But as far as who's to blame I agree that it was mostly Bob Lanier, he basically drove the Oilers out of town all by himself. Of course Bud helped, but it was mostly Lanier.

They were both about the same age when they died a few years ago. If there is a heaven, and a hell, I hope they're keeping each other company rotting in hell together.

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

I loved the Oilers and wish they still had the same unis and name

Having said that we're hoping for a SB run so I don't give two shits about these has-beens

They had to change the name to accommodate the fans in Tennessee. Bud didn’t want to and tried to get out of it, but in the end he had to for marketing purposes (aka $$$).

But I really think they could have tried to more or less keep the great old uniforms. Or they even could have brought them back when they changed them recently. I don’t think that would have been a problem for post-move Titans fans.